Forced to use (gender) language conventions in university

My church growing up would interchange 'he' and 'she' at random when referring to God. It was nothing to do with gender politics, and everything to do with rejecting an 'old man in the sky' theology.

When I was a little boy growing up in communist Poland I called God "Bozia", a female term.. as did many other kids IIRC. Here's a short explanation I found on another forum

The Polish word Bozia, a feminised diminutive of Bóg (God), is an affectionate term used in Polish with children to convey the reassuring and comforting image of a loving, tender and protective Supreme Being.

My personal theory is that it's female due to the popularity in Poland of imagery of the "Black Madonna" holding Jesus. Kids kept seeing this and started assuming that god is female. Mind you this is only a guess.

In church though god was only ever referred as male - he / father / son / lord / etc.

When I was a little boy growing up in communist Poland I called God "Bozia", a female term.. as did many other kids IIRC. Here's a short explanation I found on another forum

My personal theory is that it's female due to the popularity in Poland of imagery of the "Black Madonna" holding Jesus. Kids kept seeing this and started assuming that god is female. Mind you this is only a guess.

In church though god was only ever referred as male - he / father / son / lord / etc.

Probably this heresy was part of the reason why the pope could not protect Poland from the first partition. :devil:

Well, also the expulsion of the jesuits from western Europe. Or that may have been concurrent with the second partition...

Top Bottom