• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Formula 1 2013

I live in rural Canada. TSN and TSN2 are the only channels which show any F1 at all. As it turns out, I do, in fact, have a DVR. I merely don't know how to use it. I suspect I'll practice with it so that I don't run into this problem with the German Grand Prix next weekend. The ironic thing is that I was able to wake up for Practice 2 and Qualifying, but missed the bell for the actual race itself. :p

I suppose I'll go looking through unofficial channels, as this does indeed sound like it was an unfortunate race to miss, especially given that I've seen every other race this year (minus the first 10 laps of the Canadian GP).

It certainly sounds like you are a die hard fan if you are willing to get up to watch so many F1 races, not to mention practices and qualifying!

You might want to see if you can get a satellite feed that includes the new NBC Sports channel. They now have the contract for the US instead of Speed TV, they always replay the race in case you miss the first broadcast, and they frequently even delay the initial coverage so that more people will watch it. Today's race was delayed until early afternoon.

It is a shame that King Bernie lords over even Youtube and doesn't allow even the briefest of clips of the race to remain. You can occasionally catch a clip or two before they are removed.

And please post your comments of the races you do see in this thread. As you can see, there isn't much in the way of posts from forum members.

Hahah, I'm not sure I could call myself a diehard... it's more just that when I decide to start doing something (especially if it's not a huge time commitment), I'm usually pretty good at sticking with it. I actually started following the sport... for rather silly reasons. One of the first video games I ever owned was Official F1 Racing '98, and I played that game for years, even though I had a version that only unlocked the Australian, Canadian, German, Italian and Monaco Grands Prix, and four teams (McLaren, Ferrari, Jordan and Benneton). A decade or so later, I noticed F1 2012 on sale on Steam last fall, and started playing that. The 2012 F1 season had just finished, but I did a bunch of research in the off-season, opted to support Force India (as the direct descendant of the Jordan Team, which I liked back in '98 entirely because I liked the name, and because I liked the Black and Yellow Cars), and have watched each race and qualification since then- save the British GP this morning. :p

I don't have access to NBC, and I'm certainly not going to try and get more channels. I only became able to watch F1 recently, when my home started getting more than three channels. Actually, that's not strictly true, as I had access to the the odd French-language broadcast late at night, and I remember watching a race at Suzuka some time in the mid-2000s). After checking Wikipedia, that would be the 2003 race, as I recall that Rubens Barrichello won it in a Ferrari.

Anyway, yeah, that's my background in the sport. Informed largely by video games. ;)

Technical problem with Vettels car. Probability tells us it's going to happen to everybody at some time.

As I am going to attend at the Nürburgring, I now have good hope, it's not going to happen there :please:

My friend is a hobby photographer. I think I can post a couple of the pics here afterwards. :).

I am so envious. Any photos would be great.

The best Vettel has ever done at the Nürburgring is finishing 2nd in 2009. He finished 4th in 2011. So it's quite due, but he faces stiff competition from Webber. He has gotten the pole during those two races, and even won in 2009 despite a drive-through penalty.

Vettel hasn't done any better at Hockenheim: 8th in 2008, 3rd in 2010, and 5th last year.

Hurrah, I've found a video feed of the race in decent quality (and English)! I've also now figured out how to use my DVR, so I definitely won't miss the German GP this coming weekend. :)

So, the first two practice sessions have gone without tire issues. Hopefully we will get to see the German Grand Prix with full participation after all. :D

Well, that was a pretty exciting conclusion to the race, great to see Lotus making such a race out of it.

And Webber finally made a decent start.

Too bad there weren't a few more laps. There would have likely been very decent dices for P1 as well as P3.

Well, there wasn't much discussion about the races at Hungary and Spa, but let's see if we can get a bit of discussion going for Monza- qualifying's just a few hours away now.

Also, here are my predictions of next year's teams:

Red Bull: Vettel, Ricciardo
Mercedes: Hamilton, Rosberg
Ferrari: Alonso, Hulkenberg
Lotus: Raikkonen, Grosjean
McLaren: Button, Perez
Force India: di Resta, Sutil
Toro Rosso: Vergne, da Costa
Sauber: Sirotkin, Gutierrez
Williams: Maldonado, Bottas
Marussia: Bianchi, Chilton
Caterham: Pic, van der Garde

Overall, we now know for certain that Ricciardo is Webber's replacement at Red Bull. Helmut Marko has, I believe, said that Vergne's seat at Toro Rosso is safe, and I think that Antonio Felix da Costa is likely to move up into F1 to fill the remaining STR seat. I personally think that Massa is toast, and I think that Hulkenberg is the driver that Ferrari would want to replace him. However, it's conceivable that Massa will somehow manage to stay at Ferrari, in which case Nico is kind of hooped (due to the fact that Sauber's current financial situation precludes giving him any money, and he doesn't have the sponsorship to survive as a pay driver). However, it's also possible that Raikkonen could be lured to Ferrari, in which case Hulkenberg is an obvious choice to fill the void at Lotus.

Chilton and Gutierrez... they're kind of in the balance. They're both unspectacular at the F1 level, but both bring sponsorship money to small teams, which might provide them with some bit of security, but if a similarly mediocre driver can bring a better monetary package, then they are likely to find themselves quickly out of a job. Charles Pic might be in a similar situation, but I'm not sure.

Is anyone else here following this stuff, and all of the other driver shuffling of the 'silly season'?

I'd love to see Hulkenberg in a Ferrari. He's comming from a town only 10 km from my place. I think he's a good driver. Even if he's the number two after Alonso in the team, it's a great chance to drive in a Ferrari.

I'm surprised that Raikkonen didn't get the Red Bull seat. I wonder if Vettel had anything to do with that decision. But it should be a fantastic opportunity for Ricciardo, and that is what the second team is supposed to do.

I will be saddened if Ferrari drops Massa. This is particularly true after Monza when it appeared that he very well could have beaten Alonso if not for team orders.

And what's up with the booing of Vettel? While he may not be as popular as other exceptional drivers from the past, I don't think he has done anything which should merit this treatment. It reminds me of the treatment Kyle Busch got in NASCAR for years, even though it appears that is finally coming to an end.

And what's up with the booing of Vettel? While he may not be as popular as other exceptional drivers from the past, I don't think he has done anything which should merit this treatment. It reminds me of the treatment Kyle Busch got in NASCAR for years, even though it appears that is finally coming to an end.

I think that is simple. He was in Italy beating a Ferrari. Italian fans are a bit strange in their behaviour. (But that is just my opinion). I remember the Schumacher times, when they were cheering as long as everything was going well, and they tore Micheal apart when things went not that smooth.

Only it started in Canada. And it also occurred at Silverstone as well. There was some booing at Spa as well, but that may have been due to a Greenpeace protest.

So, Ferrari has confirmed that they've dropped Felipe Massa. The talk seems to be that Kimi Raikkonen will be his replacement, which will make for a rather amazing duo, with Kimi teaming up with Fernando Alonso. That raises the question of who will take Kimi's place at Lotus. I suspect that Massa will retire, but it's conceivable that he'd move to another team, potentially Lotus or Sauber (if Gutierrez gets dropped or Sirotkin fails to get his super license).

All of this leaves Hulkenberg in a tricky situation, with no obvious seat for the 2014 season, which is unfortunate.

I think Hulkenberg would be a better choice, and it wouldn't ruffle Alonso's feathers nearly as much. But either way, besides Riccardo, he is the rising star in F1. He will get a good seat somewhere if he doesn't stay with Sauber.

Besides, Raikkonen has already been at Ferrari and was replaced by Alonso. The only things that make it even possible is that he is clearly unhappy at Lotus, and that he has the talent to win.

But if he does go to Ferrari, I would imagine that Lotus would grab Hulkenberg in a heartbeat.

It's confirmed. The Kimster is going back to Ferrari. And Aloso is apparently quite pissed, as I expected he would be.

Jenson Button fuels rumour of a Fernando Alonso move to McLaren

I think it is obvious that he can't be very happy with this. Kimi is at least as good as driver as Alonso is and he is not going to stand back for Alonso as Massa did. I am not sure how clever it was by Ferrari. Worst case is that they steal each others points and Vettel is going to become champion again (given that both teams will have competitive cars next year).

I am very excited about next season.

This year seems to be through.

Lotus seems to be deciding between Hulkenberg and Massa for their Raikkonen replacement. I'd prefer to see Hulkenberg on Lotus, but I would understand if Lotus picked up Massa: the Brazilian sponsorship money he would bring is something they need very badly right now.

I think it is obvious that he can't be very happy with this. Kimi is at least as good as driver as Alonso is and he is not going to stand back for Alonso as Massa did. I am not sure how clever it was by Ferrari. Worst case is that they steal each others points and Vettel is going to become champion again (given that both teams will have competitive cars next year).
I'm not at all sure that the Kimster is as good as Alonso. He has shown true genius this year getting far more from the Ferrari than it should have provided at the beginning of the season. But we shall soon find out.

And I don't think that Massa was "standing back" in the least unless you are referring to him acceding to team orders on rare occasion.

But the Kimster will definitely not want to consider himself to be #2, as Massa was willing to do.

This year seems to be through.
Only in the sense that the champion and the constructor's cup winner is now likely known unless Red Bull completely implodes.

Lotus seems to be deciding between Hulkenberg and Massa for their Raikkonen replacement. I'd prefer to see Hulkenberg on Lotus, but I would understand if Lotus picked up Massa: the Brazilian sponsorship money he would bring is something they need very badly right now.
Massa also has vastly more experience. It won't be an easy choice.

Top Bottom