1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Forts?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Jamz, May 21, 2009.

1. Marnok

Marnok Marnok

In the first grid, the simple check would decide that each of the 'o's was a chokepoint, and that is actually true. A second check might be required to decide whether to build on any one plot, involving borders, also actual plot contents (less likely to build on a resource, more likely to build on a hill, etc).

In the second grid, indeed a "false" chokepoint is indicated. I don't have an immediate answer to this.

2. Jamz

Jamz Chieftain

Any way to turn off forts manually?

3. Skyre Noktis

Skyre Noktis Warlord

Edit the XML so they don't give any defensive bonuses and I doubt the AI will build them. That's assuming you're not looking for an AI-only solution.

This doesn't really work at all for ocean. For example:

Code:
    OOOOO
    OOXOO
    OOXXO
    OXXXO
    XXXOX
    XXXXX
    No reason to build forts there, but using your algorithm (as I understand it), the AI would, including on that one tile right at the end of the piece of land. It would also end up forting any one tile islands it finds.

Finding choke tiles suitable for a fort is simple enough at a basic level, but you also need to take into account whether an opponent can easily move around it and, in this case, whether there's anything even worth defending behind the choke, or anything to defend it from.

I'd say basic criteria should be:

1. In between impassable tiles, so that it's blocking the only way through
    2. Without any easy way for land units to get around it (like your two mountains in the middle of a plains example - might be unlikely, but then again, some of those plains might be hills or something instead)
    3. You need your territory on one side of the fort and an opponent's on the other, otherwise it's pointless

Number 2 seems hardest to solve to me. Using any kind of pathfinding for this would probably end up being very expensive.

4. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

I newer said that I was ocean, it is coast or shalow water. Plus, I rarely ever see 1 tile islands in my game, even less that are within someones teritory.
    You can not expect a perfect world where the AI would be able to perfectly analise every tile.
    Just a reasonably good one in witch it would make as few mistakes as posible.

5. Skyre Noktis

Skyre Noktis Warlord

Uh... what difference does it make? All water terrain is impassable to land units.

As for one tile islands, it depends on the map script. With some of them, it can be quite common, but you'd run into the same problem with any small, narrow island, anyway.