Forum rules change request

Its not uncommon for a clique of regulars to maintain a grip over the general theme of a forum. Ive encountered it frequently. In fact it could even be considered a "conspiiiiiracy"!
You obviously have not been here very long. If you had been, you might understand how inaccurate this statement is.

It's not even clear what you're suggesting we do, besides cosmetically removing the "Your freedom of speech does not apply here" statement from the rules. That statement is really there as a reminder that this is a privately owned forum and claims that your freedom of speech are being violated do not apply to actions taken on the site. This is true on every such website, we just happen to say so explicitly.

In terms of what we actually do, we've already told you that we allow nearly all political opinions, except for ones that are outright discriminatory or advocate physical violence. If you're here to discuss politics, this should be all you need. Rules on inappropriate content and language are much stricter, but this is not a matter of stifling opinions. Likewise with flaming and trolling, where strict enforcement is needed to keep the site a civil place to discuss.

I encourage you to take the time to get to know the community before trying to offer more suggestions or criticisms. There's plenty to suggest or criticize, as with any site - you can scroll through Site Feedback and read all about it - but you do need to get to know the site in order to offer meaningful feedback.

What Im trying to avoid is simply being deleted or banned by a false accusation. Too often topics are deleted (Im only refering to other boards on this point since Im new here) under the guise of being "sexist", "racist" or homophobic when they clearly were not. It would be refreshing to participate in an intellectual forum where content is analyzed objectively without bias, polemics & pure partisanship. I agree with the spirit of the rule promoting polite manners and such so theres no argument from me there. Too many boards are used as bully-pulpits to dictate one view & one view only.

I encourage you to take the time to get to know the community before trying to offer more suggestions or criticisms. There's plenty to suggest or criticize, as with any site - you can scroll through Site Feedback and read all about it - but you do need to get to know the site in order to offer meaningful feedback.

Not a bad idea. I have seen some topics that I would like to find the time to participate and some game topics as well. Hoping to buy a new comp soon that I can load some of the Civ versions Ive missed.

What Im trying to avoid is simply being deleted or banned by a false accusation. Too often topics are deleted (Im only refering to other boards on this point since Im new here) under the guise of being "sexist", "racist" or homophobic when they clearly were not. It would be refreshing to participate in an intellectual forum where content is analyzed objectively without bias, polemics & pure partisanship. I agree with the spirit of the rule promoting polite manners and such so theres no argument from me there. Too many boards are used as bully-pulpits to dictate one view & one view only.
We are relatively strict about discriminatory posts involving sexism, racism, homophobia, etc. We're certainly not trying to enforce a certain opinion - take a look at threads about social issues in OT and you'll see many different opinions and lots of debate, at times heated enough that we have to intervene. But we can't allow posts that are outright discriminatory and still maintain a civil and welcoming atmosphere for everyone. If you're commonly finding that to be a problem on other websites, and the sites aren't run by social justice activists or other hard-left types, then you are likely to be disappointed here too.

If you are unsure about whether you are allowed to post something, feel free to PM me or any other OT mods and ask first. That way you'll know where the lines are without finding out the hard way.

Acknowledged. I suppose I could take it on a case by case basis and see how it goes. It is worth a try.

What's confusing about it?

Top Bottom