Forum visibility disclosure

DaveShack

Inventor
Retired Moderator
As a side effect of my new mod position, I have acquired the ability to see the other team's forums, not just my team's (Innovia).

I'm quite comfortable with pledging to refrain from using anything I might see in another team's forum, and from passing any information from team to team. However, in complete fairness I must leave the decision about whether I'm allowed to continue as a member of Innovia to a team vote.

I was thinking about the same issue when the issue about a new moderator came up.

HEy Dave...Do you have to look in the other teams forums?

DaveShack said:
I'm quite comfortable with pledging to refrain from using anything I might see in another team's forum, and from passing any information from team to team.
I hate to rain on a parade here, but I really don't see how this is feasible. I believe you when you say you won't disclose any information to your team, but that same information cannot help but influence your thoughts, decisions, and arguments regarding your teams future course of action.

An example: Your team is discussing building a wonder or something. But you know another team is preparing to attack you. Ok, you've pledged not to disclose that information. But, you have to vote on whether a wonder is a good idea or not. Can you really do that knowing what you know?

It would be tough. Let's say you propose troops, instead. Somebody else is going to come along and say "hmmmm ... DaveShack says we need military. We better agree with him in case he knows something we don't."

In fact, everytime you propose training whatever troops, some of your own teammates may be wondering if you know something. They may start voting with you "just in case".

I guess what I'm trying to say is that your intentions may be good, but putting it into practice may be quite difficult.

Thanks Conroe, very well stated! :D

There is some danger of subliminal alterations to strategic thinking even though I "studiously ignore" the other forums. I can certainly resist overt tampering but several masters of spoiler avoidance have taught me that even an omission such as not commenting on a subject which would normally get a comment can provide meaningful intelligence.

I've even been avoiding looking at the thread titles of the latest post summary, just to be sure, and haven't gone to the Civ3 MTDG forum at all.

Since Thunderfall says it's possible to do what we need and hide the other team forums, I'll go ahead with asking him to set it up that way.

That also gets us away from the touchy subject of votes of confidence.

Moderator Action: Edit: it's fixed now.

Glad its resolved Dave. I would hate to invest this much time then not be a part of my team.

Could we give a certain Panda the same treatment now? (And for the civIII MTDG too)

According to Rik Meleet, this has been taken care of :)

Top Bottom