[Warlords] Founding a City on Rock/Marble or Hill (or both)

kagentes

Chieftain
I am trying to figure out which of the properties of the tile I am founding my city on is causing my production to be good.
  1. In one situation I founded a city on rock, and I could generate my first worker in 24 turns (playing warlords/Augustus/chieftain/marathon).
  2. In another situation I founded a city on a hill and it generated the same 24 turns.
  3. In a third situation I founded a city on a hill with rock and could generate a work in 20 turns. On basically all other scenarios workers would generate in 30 turns.
Trying to understand what properties correlate to which portion of the bonuses I am getting.

Cities get the base tile yield, and a minimum of 2:food:1:hammers:1:commerce:
Note that this does NOT include the 1:hammers: forests add, since the city removes the forest.
So yeah the best tiles to settle on are the plains hill stone/marble for +2:hammers:
Settling on plains hills in general is very common for this reason for +1:hammers:
Some tiles like elephants and marble/stone not on hills are also good to settle on as the +1:hammers: in the city center generally outweighs the benefit of working the tile long-term.
It's also possible to get extra :food: and :commerce: as well. The calendar resources that provide 3:food: as a base are generally targeted, because their full tile benefits do not come until calendar.
Lastly, given the minimum city center yield, it can also preferable to settle cities on complete junk tiles (desert/tundra/ice) as it essentially improves that tile.

Top Bottom