Fox08 - The Bad Joke Continues

GreyFox

Make it so ...
:woohoo: I got the number right this time :woohoo:

With the success in Fox07 (pretending to be Fox06), the bad jokes drowned our sanity and we decided to go one level up. Hence, I proudly presents:

Fox08 - The Bad Joke Continues

Settings

Version: BtS (yes, the wait is over) 3.13
Difficulty: Immortal
Civ: Bismarck of Germany
Victory: All enabled, we have to win by Space
Speed: Normal
Map: TBD, Balanced (?)
Options: One City Challenge

Players
GreyFox, the Domina of Rants
Imhotep, the Builder of Legends
Shyuhe, the Instigator of War
FeedBack, the Latin American Guy
r_rolo1, the King of Himself
Pholkhero, the Newcomer

If anyone is dying to contribute bad jokes and be :whipped:, I am willing to accommodate one more ;). Taken.

--

It's very tempting ... but I'm kinda overloaded with SGs ... plus Immortal is way over my head. I'll be lurking tho, and will chime in a bad joke here and there.

checking in. I'm going to have to dig up some more bad jokes... Does thinking we have a chance at winning an immortal OCC with space count as a bad joke?

Immortal, isn't that difficult. But ... nippy, just so we are clear from the start: we have ZERO chance. ;)

I will, however, attempt to increase it with the following close-to-cheating game option customization: No industrious AI, roll a few start and choose the best one without looking at the WB. I am also thinking of Raging Barb to slow the AI down ... although that is really a double-edged sword, but I do think it will cause more havoc to AI than to the human.

Only 5? Abt time they make the OCC a bit more of a challenge ;) Hmm ... where do you guys get these information? I recently discovered that Apo. Palace grants +2 hammer to religious buildings empire wide. Such an important benefit almost outweighs the benefit of early UN itself, and should be stated clearly ... but no where can I find it stated (not Civopedia, definitely not the pitiful booklet Firaxis called a manual, and neither in CFC BtS Infocenter).

Back to the game, if we are allowed only 5 nat. wonders (assuming palace is a freebie), I think we definitely want the following:

- Globe Theatre
- Nat Epic
- Oxford University
- Ironworks

The last one is tricky. If we have water tiles, the Maoi Statute would be nice (does it get obsoleted? Hope not!). Nat Park which removes unhealthiness seems pretty important as well, although I don't know if it is worth the hammer loss due to removed access to coal.

Use the reference sheet that dj_anion made ( it's in a sticky in the BtS forum ): it is far more complete that that pityful thing that firaxis sends with the game....
Moai does not obsolete, but it requires a lot of sea tiles ( a thing that we don't want on a OCC, isn't it? ). The national park is very handy, but requires that we have a lot of forests in the BFC that we can't lumbermill ( for the preserves ) and ( like you said ) cuts coal ( not a issue if we don't have it and can't trabe for it, but a big issue otherwise ). The four you choosed seems a nice choice, but IMHO we should keep the last slot open until we see the map.

Rolled 6 starts, choose the 4th one. I want to see if water tiles indeed is worth it, plus 4 food resources and a gold mine is as good as one can get for a starting position.

At this point, I would entertain some starting strategy. Remembering that I enabled Raging Barbs :eek:

Spoiler My Strategy :

Research: Fishing > Bronze Working > Archery (if no copper) > Agriculture > Masonry
Build: Warrior > Fishing Boat > Warrior (or archer) > Worker

Fishing first enables us to work on the unnetted clams first. Immortal implies a low happy cap, so, we should enable slavery ASAP to whip the worker. Archery is highly necessary if there is no copper to take care of barbs. Worker can go idle after mining gold then finally, once Agriculture is in, farm the floodplains and corns.

Lurkers comment

Raging barbs - you will get hammered from 2000BC, YOU WILL need archery and archers by then and will need to sort out some sort of defense cordon. I would not rely on there being any metal nearby.

Good Luck ;)

Why do birds fly south for the winter?

b/c it's too far to walk ~

(yes, that's a sign-up if you'll have me, and I'll even take a place at the end so i can do the GreyFoxWhip, the new dance sensation that's sweeping the . . . well, not the nation, but certainly a borough or two, right?)

i think warrior first, Fishing > Archery out of the gate

Welcome, Pholky.

@Mighty: I thought it was 2800BC for Immortal (2000BC is a pretty long time, close to 50 turns, definitely enough for your to check if there is copper since we start with Mining).

--

You are probably right I have yet to brave raging barbs above Monarch. Even more reason to get the defense up of the bat!!

GW is the other option. We can ignore barbs then. I would skip the National Park. Giving up coal is a big penalty and we won't get that many extra GP from it. Moai sounds pretty good... it'll net us 6 extra hammers and they can be doubled during a GA :D Oh yeah, Mausoleum will be huge late game.

I like the starting location. Let's just hope Monty or Alex aren't next to us.

Cleary GW and Moai are things to have... Greyfox plan for first turns looks nice as well... National park seems a :nono: now ( not much of forests to spare for preserves, a thing that makes Natonal park not so attractive) .....

in other news, i was looking for a translation of your sig line rolo, and got Fox06 as the number 3 result.

I added "translation" to the end and got AZ06 for the pirate translator!! :lol:

oh, and could never find a translation . . .

^^" A victor is not a victor until the defeated one acepts defeat" ....A Roman saying about the 2nd Punic war and the action of Fabius "Cuncactor" against Hannibal Barca. Very adequate to this SG, indeed :rolleyes:

Bad Joke ... Real bad.

Spoiler :
First try, ends up very dead.

Barbs appear at 3200BC for Immortal, not 2800BC :crazyeye:

Well, I say it is a bad joke, right? Now, time to play it the proper way :mischief:

Berlin founded, revealing stones :dance: And this time, ARCHERY first :D

Scout go exploring, and this is indeed the proper way!

Meanwhile met 3 Civs all at one shot:

Uh-oh, Spain and HRE nearby, we are going to be pulled into a struggle of the Gods. And as if one cue:

Spain 1 : HRE 0

Then we met Persian and Rome:

See the Hinduism FIADL message? I was waiting for HRE to convert, but no, no one converted to Hinduism. It seems likely that Spain won the race again.

Spain 2 : HRE 0

Keep it that way, Izzy, and spread Bud over to HRE, and we might not see a Holy War brewing.

And did I say barbs appear in 3200BC? Scratch that, the record now stands at 3280BC.

But I am ready this time. We survived the assault, but not our scout:

And he managed to send us this postcard smeared with blood before his death:

We even had time to revolt to Slavery.

I see no point in waiting for the quarry to be connected, so start GW as soon as you can (maybe one more archer to protect goldmine) after worker is out (whip him).

>>> The Save (2800BC) <<<​

Roster
-- GreyFox == The Smelly Game-Reloading Cheater
>> Imhotep == UP
-- Shyuhe, the Instigator of War
-- FeedBack, the Latin American Guy
-- r_rolo1, the King of Himself
-- Pholkhero, the Newcomer

Okay, you may now bash the fox for reloading. Let the stone/egg throwing begins!

phew ~ does that count as a loss already or just a mistake? :lol:

it would be nice if we could station some archers on those grasshills if we don't get to the Wall in time. I would say even a worker might be foolhardy if we can only afford to defend him w/one archer. might be better to put those shields into the wall, and save the worker for when he can improve things unmolested.

Top Bottom