France - Catherine de Medici Thread

Would we know? Maybe ancient woners allow to snowball and Egypt will fare better. Espionage doesn't seem to help for culture victory at all, and maybe other civs have culture bonuses or wonder building bonuses which will outperform France or prevent them from benefitting from their own..

The most objective thing we could use is - whether the ability is "active" or "passive". The French wonder building bonus is more passive as it doesn't allow insta-building wonders like China does. On the other hand, Chateau is very active thing as it alters city planning and espionage bonus could be an active ability as additional spy could allow more things to do. That way France looks quite interesting - more interesting than England or America, in the same league with Japan, Aztecs and Egypt, probably slightly less interesting than China.

And about power/balance of civs - let's wait for more info about espionage and actual wonders first.

I honestly hope sabotage is part of espionage, sap some of that production from Civs competing for the same wonders you are.

France set of abilities make them pretty much the number one pick if you want a culture victory.

Keep in mind that in addition to the previously mentioned early snowball potential, Egypt also has a religious bonus which may potentially be leveraged fornmore culture, and production bonuses which may also be leveraged for culture all game.

Spoiler :

Got the Agenda for France:
Black Queen
Get lots of spies and diplomatic access, don't like civs that ignore espionage.

So she really likes to get a gossip circle going. Everyone spying on each other in a virtual balance of power; sounds like what an Elizabeth I leader would have looked like.

So CdM gets her spy at Castles.

The normal spy civics are Diplomatic Service (Renaissance), Nationalism (Industrial), Ideology (Modern), and Cold War (Atomic). Also, you get one at the Computers tech (Atomic).

So she has an uncontested advantage for the Medieval era, 100% more spies for the Renaissance, 50% Industrial, 33% Modern, and 20% Atomic.

So CdM gets her spy at Castles.

The normal spy civics are Diplomatic Service (Renaissance), Nationalism (Industrial), Ideology (Modern), and Cold War (Atomic). Also, you get one at the Computers tech (Atomic).

So she has an uncontested advantage for the Medieval era, 100% more spies for the Renaissance, 50% Industrial, 33% Modern, and 20% Atomic.

I love all the French abilities and bonuses in Civ 6, actually France shall be my first "proper" civ game, after a first game test run where I just check out things and wonder (gonna pick Sumeria for that)

I think Frence wonder bonus is much more powerful then people give it credit for.

Double tourism is very very powerful and the 20% production bonus is unlike Egypts bonus not based on terrain which is very important given that wonders have limited placement and wonders are now so expensive that every bonus towards them become very valuable.

Early wonder production bonus is way more valuable than late though. At the beginning of the game everyone starts at parity or near parity in tech, which makes production the only real factor unless you just don't prioritise the wonder tech. Later in the game the wonder goes to whomever has the better science output. Production is more just about how much time you're taking away from producing other things, less about competing for it.

Surprising that with all of the famous French leaders (Napoleon, Louis XVI, de Gaulle) they went with Catherine de Medici. Especially considering she was Italian and ruled alongside Henry II who was her superior.

I'm not complaining. I can see why they wanted to go with someone new for France. And I recall someone at Firaxis saying they wanted to include more women. Just very surprising.

Early wonder production bonus is way more valuable than late though. At the beginning of the game everyone starts at parity or near parity in tech, which makes production the only real factor unless you just don't prioritise the wonder tech. Later in the game the wonder goes to whomever has the better science output. Production is more just about how much time you're taking away from producing other things, less about competing for it.

Mid-to-endgame wonders have huge hammer costs though. If anything, pumping out an extra unit, builder or building with the time you save can be really useful, so even if France have a huge tech lead and are guaranteed to build the midgame wonders, they'll still get something useful out of it.

Debatable. Early wonders are much more limited by terrain so you will most likely have only a few civs competeing for each wonders as the others can not fufil the requirments. Also early wonders are so cheap you can chop them while later game wonders are much more expensive and each hammer saved can be used for something else including boosting your science for a better shot at the next bunch of wonders.

The double tourism is maybe even more valuable then the wonder production because tourism can direcly win the game for you and also protect you from losing.

The question is if you are better of spending production on district projects or wonders as district projects do give quite alot great person points and great persons are very nice to have but so are wonders.

Last edited:
I honestly hope sabotage is part of espionage, sap some of that production from Civs competing for the same wonders you are.

I don't know if sabotage will be part of espionnage (I think it's very possible), but there is "Great Work Heist". So whether or not you can sabotage your enemies, you can steal their great works, so France can also benefit from Espionnage on a cultural/touristic level.

https://i.redd.it/nicblx10b6ex.jpg

I don't know if sabotage will be part of espionnage (I think it's very possible), but there is "Great Work Heist". So whether or not you can sabotage your enemies, you can steal their great works, so France can also benefit from Espionnage on a cultural/touristic level.

https://i.redd.it/nicblx10b6ex.jpg

You can actually perform industrial sabotage as well as space race project sabotage.

Between spies and religious units the late game map will get pretty cluttered. They really need a filter to only show specified classes of units. This is especially relevant now that there is apparently little interaction between regular units, religious units and spies.

Ideally, the game should have different layers for each class of unit, much as Civ:BE has a layer for satellites.

Religious units definitely clutter things up, but there are a finite number of spies.

So anyone here have a guess about what will happen about the extra tourism from wonders that is part of France hability? The build distributed to Youtubers didn't show any wonder providing Tourism what all, and neither any tech/civic starting to provide tourism to wonders the same way that there's a civic that produce tourism from improvements that provide culture. And the Gorgo Live didn't show much.. So either the bonus of wonders are not completely know yet, or France hability will be changed a lot, and maybe this would be one of the reasons that France was not one of the 8 civs from the preview build.

So anyone here have a guess about what will happen about the extra tourism from wonders that is part of France hability? The build distributed to Youtubers didn't show any wonder providing Tourism what all, and neither any tech/civic starting to provide tourism to wonders the same way that there's a civic that produce tourism from improvements that provide culture. And the Gorgo Live didn't show much.. So either the bonus of wonders are not completely know yet, or France hability will be changed a lot, and maybe this would be one of the reasons that France was not one of the 8 civs from the preview build.
I suspect they haven't implemented the Tourism from Wonders yet. And that very well may explain why France isn't among the 10 civs in the press build.

Top Bottom