Frequently Asked Questions - (FAQ)

Play the GOTM in the usual way - once through, without replaying.

When you reach 1000 BC, remember to save your game.
Submit your 1000 BC save using the QSC Submit page.
Continue the game, complete it, make a final save, and submit it using the usual GOTM submission page.
Note that the submission deadline for the QSC is earlier than the final deadline.

We publish the statistics for QSC submissions when the game closes. There are very few players who submit QSC entries these days.

It's not really a competition. It is just designed to concentrate players' minds on the key things they need to do during the early stages of any game.

There used to be a page describing the QSC concept and scoring, but that seems to have disappeared.

[X-Posted. Thanks, EvilConqueror]

So, I'm just learning the paces of Civ3, having purchased the Humble Bundle, how in the world would I go about participating in the GOTM with Civ3 Complete?

Just go to the GOTM Home Page, and read the simple instructions. If you still have specific questions, come back and ask them here.

If you are just starting out with Civ3, you might not want to play the current C3C COTM, as it's at Demigod difficulty level.

You could play the current PtW GOTM, which is at the lower Monarch level, but you must make sure that you use the Play the World executable if it is included in your Humble Bundle.

You could play the current PtW GOTM, which is at the lower Monarch level, but you must make sure that you use the Play the World executable if it is included in your Humble Bundle.

PtW is included but not playable. :crazyeye:

I had already gone through the GOTM page.

having purchased the Humble Bundle, how in the world would I go about participating in the GOTM with Civ3 Complete?

This wasn't a specific enough question? Am I to assume that the version/edition I have makes it nigh impossible to participate in the PtW GOTM? I take it the classic GOTM is the PTW GOTM on the GOTM page?

PtW is included but not playable. :crazyeye:

What exactly is the Humble Bundle? Some Steam thing? If yes, you might be able to follow the advice given here to make PTW playable:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=13022524#post13022524

PS: at the moment I can no longer find the PtW exe, only vanilla and C3C... That's Murphy's law, isn't it. But I guess it should be ok, if someone who has a suitable executable, sends it to you? After all, you payed for it, they only failed to deliver... So that should be ok legally?! :think:

I had already gone through the GOTM page.
Well done.

This wasn't a specific enough question? Am I to assume that the version/edition I have makes it nigh impossible to participate in the PtW GOTM? I take it the classic GOTM is the PTW GOTM on the GOTM page?
Unfortunately, GOTM is a generic acronym, and you could have been asking "How do I join in the competition?". Your question didn't make it clear that you only meant the PtW GOTM.

If you are specifically wanting to play the PtW game (yes, the "Classic" one), then you will have to find out how to run Play the World in your purchased version. I don't have the Humble Bundle, and so I apologise that I can't help.

I wanted to access the pages for older GOTMs, specifically diplomatic ones but I don't see any pages after the 2nd page. How can I access those. Also, I can't find the list of all GOTMs during 2014-2015 (like the one for 2015-2016 that we currently have) . Are they archived somewhere?

I wanted to access the pages for older GOTMs, specifically diplomatic ones but I don't see any pages after the 2nd page. How can I access those.

Use the search feature.

Also, I can't find the list of all GOTMs during 2014-2015 (like the one for 2015-2016 that we currently have) . Are they archived somewhere?

The thread has been unstuck but is still there a little bit down on the first page.

Più Freddo;13878349 said:
Use the search feature.
I did but the results are completely irrelevant, even after including GOTM and civ 3 in the keywords, I was getting guides to science victory for civ 5 in the results. I'll try again later.

Firstly, the default display for forums only shows "From the last year". Look at the top of the Forum listing page, and you can change this to "From the beginning" to see all threads ever posted. Then click "Show threads" to see them - 51 pages and counting!

Next, have you looked on the GOTM web site? All the old games are archived there. Giv3 games are accessed from the left hand column, where you can select a game in the menu to see its player civ and difficulty level, and click Game Details to see the game Release page. If you click the Results button for the game, you see a list of links to the forum discussion threads for that game at the top of the results listing.

Explore the features on both web sites to find a wealth of options.

Firstly, the default display for forums only shows "From the last year". Look at the top of the Forum listing page, and you can change this to "From the beginning" to see all threads ever posted. Then click "Show threads" to see them - 51 pages and counting!

Yeah. That was what I had missed. I now have all the 57 pages. Thanks.

I don't think so. It's a while since I looked at, or worked on, that code. But checking back, the script that allocates awards looks for victories that match the required condition, if any, and losses (for ambulances). It doesn't consider retirements or incorrect victories.

has anyone ever reached 500 points in leading the Civ3 GOTM Global Rankings?
i think i saw values over 490 since i do participate. but i am pretty sure i never saw the theoretically optimal value.
t_x

ok, since no one cared to reply to my last question... i will try another one. :)
Is there a correct way to look at the Global Rankings? because the way they are depicted, there are 2 versions of how the GOTMs and COTMs pair together. this appears odd to me...
t_x

Sorry, I have never thought of looking for the 500 point score, so I couldn't answer
your first question.

Re. the second question, I don't think there's a "right" or "wrong" way to look at the rankings. The games are paired in order to provide a single table covering both series, and pairing starts with the latest game result and works backwards in time. I guess we could have split it into two separate tables for GOTM and COTM - but we didn't.

very well. if we should consider an "orthodox" way of looking at it, i would suggest that the correct way to look at the Global Rankings would be when in the paired columns the GOTM result stands on the RIGHT side. why? simply because GOTM is the older competition, so it should always stand on the 1st=right position, right? (since the left one seems to be the newer one always)
or am i overlooking something?
t_x

Why do you need an "orthodox" way to look at it? Sure, the GOTM started first, but the "first pair" is long gone, so I think that's irrelevant. What is the impact of only looking at the rankings when they are in your preferred order? If that gives you a more favourable result from your perspective then fine - that's your prerogative. But both views of the rankings are surely as valid as each other?

Top Bottom