[R&F] Friday Livestream

Thanks, sounds nice. Does entertainment districts give loyalty now or what? Is there warmonger penalty for attacking free cities?

Entertainment districts indirectly give loyalty as they give amenities.

I am unsure if there is a warmonger penalty for attacking free cities but I think it would be light.

This live stream in particular makes me excited for Anton to have the rest of Civ VI and the base design for Civ VII in recent Firaxis fashion.
I'd say the odds are pretty high for that. Just to remind, Ed Beach, the lead developer for Civ 6, was leading the development of Gods & Kings and Brave New World for Civ 5. Firaxis have established a kind of tradition for Civ games, picking a lead developer out of the team which developed the previous game. It became out of necessity at first, but it does play nice with their approach for Civ games - 1/3 is kept unchanged, 1/3 is improved and 1/3 is innovation.

On a separate note, since this is likely the last livestream before the expansion is out, I'd like to thank the entire Firaxis team who presented the new features, but most all Sarah, who made all the streams she was part of very focused and informative. I do hope that Sarah continues to interact with the Civ community more often, and it is really nice to connect a face to the voice from all those First Looks. Also, Sarah is definitely a serial peacemonger :)

Anton said there was a warmonger penalty for capturing free cities but that it was light.

He also said that we are ALWAYS in a state of war with free cities. They can't be traded with or interacted with in any other way. You either avoid their units and wait for loyalty to send them into the arms of a civ or you can conquer them.
Have I understood you correctly: the army of the free city becomes your army if you flip that city via loyalty to your civ?

I really liked how the flipping worked out in the stream. Entertainment disctrict will gain new reasons to exist in border cities.^^

I really liked how the flipping worked out in the stream. Entertainment disctrict will gain new reasons to exist in border cities.^^
Something that can be exploited by warmongers. Take the biggest city and then let the loyalty pressure do the rest and you get Everything for very Little warmonger and a whole bunch of era score.

Wish they would add puppet cities or vassalage...oh Civ 4!

Now that I think of it, I really want An expansion pack focusin solely on Colonization mechanics, including vassalge and puppet cities, along with revised tech and civic tree with new units (Trebuchets, Composite bowmen, etc).

And when I say Colonization mechanics I REALLY want the game to generate TWO maps in one. so there's always a "New World".

Yeah, it's too much. Went from being something you'd have to use tactically and judiciously to a golden hammer. Because, according to the civ fans in the stream, abilities are boring if they're not obviously OP.

Hurray for easy buttons.

-20 seems about right now I'm finally watching the stream. You'd have to be attacking a border city or killing multiple units a turn for that to overcome the per turn boost from citizens and governors, as every dead unit is just a one-off malus rather than a contributor to the city's long-term loyalty. They don't flip until they hit 0, so they have several turns to recover from a military loss. I'd expect that if you're actively attacking a city, you'll usually be able to take it before it would flip to Swift Hawk pressure.

Of course this assumes adequate AI performance. It looks as though the AI doesn't prioritise amenities at all, so won't be able to produce that cultural pressure easily.

Any chance that a free city that was once part of a defunct civilisation, autonomously resurrects that civilisation?

I'd like that - I always missed the civil war system that resurrected dead civs.

Not when they work at an Airport apparently. :p

Spare a thought for the students and researchers working from the campus in the livestream. It must be a nightmare getting through all those mountains.

He just seems to think about the game in the same way I do. A bent towards roleplaying and storytelling while still being very aware of the systems and their gameplay implications as well.

I'd hope that expresses itself in the gameplay. Base Civ VI is perhaps the most mechanistic entry in the series, with everything revolving around the showcase mechanics of the base game and little to no sign of AI personality or emergent behaviour.

Colosseum has been buffed and now adds loyalty to nearby cities. Only +2 amenities now, IIRC.

They could probably have buffed other Wonders more aggressively - the new ones seem much stronger than most of those in the base game.

Last edited:
Well, slightly better on average, but they still managed to make the Statue of Liberty totally useless!

It's exactly fitting thematically for what it is (which is a rarity for most Wonders), but I agree - especially now we've seen how loyalty works, 'loyalty to nearby cities' is not a useful bonus since having multiple nearby cities - as needed to make the bonus useful - itself ensures high loyalty. The settler isn't precisely useless, but you're paying the cost of an Industrial-era Wonder essentially in order to get a single settler at a time when settlers are situationally useful at best.

Well, slightly better on average, but they still managed to make the Statue of Liberty totally useless!
Statue of Liberty is extremely powerful for conquering another continent. Not sure what you are on about.

The settler isn't precisely useless, but you're paying the cost of an Industrial-era Wonder essentially in order to get a single settler at a time when settlers are situationally useful at best.

IIRC it's two settlers :)

She did, but now I don't understand what the cede option is for in R&F. Anton said in the livestream that the occupation penalties exist no more - there are only loyalty and connected city yield penalties now. So what's the point in ceding a city now?? Perhaps the ceded city will now remove the negative "you occupy one of their cities" modifier...

I remain unconvinced that the Statue of Liberty will be useful for forward settling or expanding onto another continent. Its way over priced for two settlers, you would have to chop it in to get it built and it's restricted to the coast which limits how many cities it can help, the two new cities aren't going to exert any significant pressure until they grow. Loyalty isn't going to be that big an issue.

To expand to another continent, just capture an enemy city and send a governor there for loyalty (the loyalty boost is instant). Still have loyalty issues? Just capture/remove enemy cities - problem solved. If the city you captured still revolts - who cares, leave it for later while you focus on the AI.

Now if the Statue of Liberty exerted loyalty pressure to nearby enemy cities (beacon of hope and all) that could be useful

I remain unconvinced that the Statue of Liberty will be useful for forward settling or expanding onto another continent. Its way over priced for two settlers, you would have to chop it in to get it built and it's restricted to the coast which limits how many cities it can help, the two new cities aren't going to exert any significant pressure until they grow. Loyalty isn't going to be that big an issue.

To expand to another continent, just capture an enemy city and send a governor there for loyalty (the loyalty boost is instant). Still have loyalty issues? Just capture/remove enemy cities - problem solved. If the city you captured still revolts - who cares, leave it for later while you focus on the AI.
It's not about the settlers, it's about the 100% loyalty to all cities within 6 tiles. Get a wonder production engineer, go to another continent and rush the Statue of Liberty in a newly founded or conquered city and you have an unshakable foothold. It's really, really powerful.

Pretty good live stream. I wonder if they realized themselves how ridiculously poor the choice of Mapuche colours are when viewed next to the french. It was only after they DoW'd France I realized that archer was not his own.

Top Bottom