1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[FULL] Putmalk's Ancient World Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Modpacks' started by Putmalk, Nov 7, 2011.

1. orielense

orielense Chieftain

Good luck with sorting this out. You have created the best thing in the Civ5 modosphere.

2. Putmalk

Putmalk Deity

Wow. Your praise is incredible. :) Thanks dude, glad you love it.

3. Mavs

Mavs Chieftain

Do we have a progress report?

4. Putmalk

Putmalk Deity

I haven't opened my mod since I posted Version 7. I think I deserve a break. ^.^

I have a feeling I know what the problem is, but I have to run some tests. Bugfixing is an annoying process.

I am happy to see that my mod has 100 downloads on the Modhub in its first two days up. I hope everyone's enjoying it. :D

5. Mavs

Mavs Chieftain

lol okay. I was just wondering. No pressure, I understand! I'd probably have gotten tired of working on a mod way before this! :p

6. Putmalk

Putmalk Deity

It's fine. It's fun for me. :)

No feedback on version 7? I'm surprised.

7. Sneaks

Sneaks Brooklyn Bum

I was playing a very fun game as Rome, rushing off to a science victory when I discovered there is no science victory. Woops!

8. Talkie_Toaster

Talkie_Toaster I toast, therefore I am

I'm waiting until the save issue is fixed before playing version 7 since I can rarely play a full game in one sitting. The previous versions are very good though, I always thought the ancient era was where the mechanics of civ made the most sense. Your mod is the most fun I've had playing civ in a long time.

9. Putmalk

Putmalk Deity

Okay. I'll begin to work hard on fixing the issue. If I'm correct the issue is either in AssignStartingPlots.lua, or VictoryConditions.lua....I'm sure this is not an xml problem. I'll run some tests soon. I've just been taking a break by creating some Amnesia maps...but this is the more pressing issue at the moment.

I am thinking of reimplementing the science victory in the game, but not as a spaceship. The problem with "victories" in the game is that they signify world dominance, but in my mod, it only covers the ancient world and there is so many years ahead of the world that a proper "victory" would make no sense.

However, I was thinking of maybe changing the science victory to an "Engineering" victory where you create the world's largest monument or something (funny, seeing as Tower of Babel is in the game). Of course, that would require a few more end-game techs that are era-appropriate. I kinda like Conquest, Time, and Culture as it is now. I am also quite aware that Culture seems hard to come by...maybe we'll see some adjustments to policies to help them along (maybe every policy tree you complete gives you one free policy?).

10. Putmalk

Putmalk Deity

This post will be me trying to debug the save issue. Hop along with any suggestions you may have, I could use any help. :p

Questions before we begin, for you guys. (I'll probably update with more later)
    1) Was the game crashing on loading save in Version 6?

My possible theories on the save issue:
    1) As Spatz pointed out in another thread I posted here, the save issue may be tied to the game failing to reinitialize the UI, which would point to an LUA error.
    2) As Pazyryk pointed out in the same thread, it may also be an ID issue.

How the test is going (if you're curious):
    1) With Putmalk's Ancient World (V7) enabled only, I load up a game and save on turn 0. Load the game up. Result: Crash
    2) I now disable VictoryProgress.lua. Try the same process. Result: Crash
    3) Re-enabled VictoryProgress.lua, it is not the problem.
    4) Repeat steps with AssignStartingPlots.lua. Result: Crash
    5) Re-enabled AssingStartingPlots.lua, it is not the problem.
    6) Imported lemmy101's Deletion Fix into the mod.
    7) Repeat steps with new SQL file. Result: Crash
    8) Well the obvious is out of the way. Now we get creative.
    9) Load up a vanilla game, save and load. Result: No Crash. (expected result)
    10) Removed "AffectSavedGames" flag from mod. Save and load. Result: Crash
    11) Scale back to version 6 hotfix. Result: No Crash Okay, now I'm happy. This is huge. Thank God I catalogue all of my releases so I can do things like this. :D
    12) Painstakingly view all Version 7 changes to see what the problem is.

It's gonna be a long day. >.<

11. Talkie_Toaster

Talkie_Toaster I toast, therefore I am

I think you should rename the Utopia Project to something with a more Ancient World feel...perhaps something like Legendary Society? As in, your society will be the model and inspiriation for civilizations for thousands of years, kind of like Rome was in real life? I think the victory conditions should be more about putting your stamp on humanity for aeons to come than temporary dominance, that fits the feel of the time more IMO.

It's rather a shame that the Library of Alexandria is already a wonder as it would make a perfect Tech Victory project: it's famous, it was historically built late in the time period of the mod and would symbolise being at the forefront of learning. Perhaps you could rename the great library to something like the Platonic Academy, and have the ones of the mod renamed to simply "Academy"? To be honest it doesn't make much sense that you can build the Great Library so early in most games.

I think that engineering victory should be a seperate victory from these, tied to controlling the World Wonders, perhaps, similar to the DLC scenario that was released recently?

By the way, let us know if there's any grunt work testing we could do to speed your bugfinding process, I'm sure a lot of your fans would be happy to help out.

12. Putmalk

Putmalk Deity

The problem has been found. I can load saved games now. It is the Promotions.

Work has begun on fixing the issue. A hotfix is expected by tonight.

If you're wondering how I found out about the issue, just imagine Dr. House.

13. Putmalk

Putmalk Deity

Hotfix patch notes:

This hotfix is about to go live on Modbuddy. It takes a long time to upload to here so get it there if you want it first.

Civilization Pack, No DLC and DLC versions have to be updated.

This hotfix is Version 8 (compatible with ModBuddy). I'd usually call it 7.5 but that doesn't work with ModBuddy.

Version 8 up on ModBuddy for both DLC and non-DLC versions. Civilization Pack 1 to follow.

You'll have to wait about 30-45 minutes for it to be uploaded to civfanatics.

14. Mavs

Mavs Chieftain

Yay! Congrats Putmalk!!! :D :D :D

Can you post here once you've updated your first post with the hotfix/fixed version?

15. Putmalk

Putmalk Deity

Done.

16. Mavs

Mavs Chieftain

Yay, version 8 is up!! :)

Edit: ahhh, you beat me to it.

17. Putmalk

Putmalk Deity

Okay guys, Version 8 is up and running and I'd love to hear some quality feedback.

Don't expect many new updates for a while. This is the version I'm very happy about and there isn't anything game-breaking that needs to be changed. That being said, your feedback is always appreciated and it really helped with the game (looking at a bunch of you regarding unit balance and copper resources). I'm so happy everyone is enjoying the game so far and I want to know how you guys are playing the game.

Screenshots and game recaps would be very much appreciated!

18. Mavs

Mavs Chieftain

When I embark a Carthaginian unit, I get a CTD. :(

Darn it!!! I always manage to find one!!!

19. Putmalk

Putmalk Deity

Goddamnit, this is Firaxis' fault.

It's the Carthiginian's UA. Because Denmark has special graphics when their unit embarks, they decided it would be funny to hardcode the "embark land to sea discount" to display graphics that you only get with Denmark's DLC.

Unless I change Carthage's UA (which I really like), the graphics will always be those Viking longboats.

Long story short: the mod requires the Denmark DLC. >.< Alternatively if you do not want to pay for it, you can edit the modfiles. More specifically, remove the tag from the Traits.xml file for Carthage's UA. The line is "<EmbarkedToLandFlatCost>". Just delete that from Carthage's unique trait. Give them something else if you want to balance them out. :p That should fix the issue.

Since I now know this is crashing the game, I will remove that bonus and rebalance Carthage in some way.

Here. Give 'em "<EmbarkedAllWater>true</EmbarkedAllWater>" for now and see how that plays. :p

20. Mavs

Mavs Chieftain

Sweet deal. I changed it. So...what's embarked all water? lol

You could just give Carthage the +2 naval move like the Brits have and leave it at that if this causes any problems, but I realize that's a bit bland!
    Thank you for the swift reply. :)