[FULL] Putmalk's Ancient World Discussion Thread

Moderator Action: Moved to modpacks.

As alternate hosts, just try rapidshare, Megaupload or AtomicGamer.
While the latest is not *that* popular, it's also another gaming site and you can style your web presentation also there.

Thanks for the move, mate.

Megaupload was my first mirror, but they shut the mod down (for whatever reason), but they haven't turned their attention to the reuploads yet...

And is there any other feedback on the mod? O_O

I want you to know I am not an early adopter. i would like to download it when I hear more feedback about stability. But I like the concepts, and i like the topic.

I feel a little bad not testing it to help you out. apologies.

In fact, you put a lot of work into this so maybe i should try it early in the process and just for once contribute instead of just take.

sheesh i am talking myself into downloading

I want you to know I am not an early adopter. i would like to download it when I hear more feedback about stability. But I like the concepts, and i like the topic.

I feel a little bad not testing it to help you out. apologies.

In fact, you put a lot of work into this so maybe i should try it early in the process and just for once contribute instead of just take.

sheesh i am talking myself into downloading

Lol, I already held a Beta back in August and September. Me and my brother have playtested this into oblivion. It should be stable. :p The Known Issues post is where I post what I find is wrong with the game.

I know Version 5 won't crash for some stupid reason, every asset has been working for some time now. I can't say the same about Version 6 (my version) but that's because it's not completed and I won't be releasing it until Punic Wars is completed and I feel comfortable.

While I'm on the subject of Version 6, I've been regularly updating the Patch Notes for it. Some features and thoughts I've been having:

Version 6:
- Fixing up the UI for the most part. Victory Progress screen will be working again, and not contain any useless information (like Space Race or Diplomatic victories). Also added some new civilopedia entries, and this is an ongoing process.
- Balancing is a continuing process. This is actually where I need YOU guys, as you can tell me what you feel is overpowered and not. But I can make my own judgement as well. :p For example, I've identified the Helepolis as underpowered (yeah, I know), so I upped its ranged strength to compensate (it had the same strength as the Onager, but with a 100% modifier instead of a 50% modifier, but it was still too weak. The Helepolis is mighty slow, and it deserves to knock down cities if it gets a chance to hit them.
- Fixing some art. I'll be handling policy art soon. Expect new custom icons! :D

Version 7 and beyond:
- I have plans to do a sort of expansion pack to the original. Like, Ancient Asia, the Celts, or the fall of Rome and stuffs. I want to add civs like the Huns, Celts, Gauls, Harappans, and the Shang Dynasty. There's so much history, I can't wait to explore it all. However, I need artists to help me along with this. I can't do art. It's almost terrible.
- Medieval Tech tree. This is probably one of my most...self-controversial issues? It's an Ancient World mod, yet Civilization V has the future era. So why can't I? I don't have to go indepth, but I want to know if you guys would like to see some medieval techs/units/buildings?
- Scenarios. And scenarios! I've been thinking, and I have some other scenario ideas: Peloponessian War, expansion of Rome, and the Fall of Rome.

If anyone would like to help out with the Ancient World mod, I would be more than grateful for this.

I could use help in:
Icon Making
I have custom icons in my mod that I created myself (and some that were created by others), but if you would like to contribute high-quality icons, I would be more than grateful.

Every custom asset in the mod is fair game for new icons. This includes buildings, units, techs, unit flags, policy art, civilization flags, and more.

Civilization Art
Leaderheads, leader icons, civilization maps, dawn of man images, the works. I would be very happy if you could provide high quality, artistic images. Any civilization art is fair game. I welcome it all!

Unit Art
This refers to the 3D models. I still don't think any are available yet. But if you can contribute them, I'd be happy as well. :) If not, I can wait.

Scenario ideas
I always welcome these. Have an Ancient time scenario in mind? I'd love to create it. Acceptable years: 4000 BC until the fall of Rome (around 400 AD?).

Technology ideas

If you have an idea for a technology you'd like to see included, I'd love to see if I can work it in. Acceptable years: 1000 BC onwards - 400 AD (I'd like to fill up my Late Classical Era).

Translation

I only speak english. If you can do translations, that would be amazing.

You want any help with splash screens for wonders?

Yep! If it's higher quality than what I already got, I'd love to use them. I'll post them all in a bit.

Ishtar Gate wonder by ambrox62, iirc.

Attachments

• V6_IshtarGate.jpg
    V6_IshtarGate.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 164
  • V6_Sphinx.jpg
    V6_Sphinx.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 148
  • V6_Solomon.jpg
    V6_Solomon.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 157
  • V6_Parthenon.jpg
    V6_Parthenon.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 168
  • V6_TowerBabel.jpg
    V6_TowerBabel.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 179
  • V6_Zeus.jpg
    V6_Zeus.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 175
  • V6_Artemis.jpg
    V6_Artemis.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 141
  • V6_Dionysus.jpg
    V6_Dionysus.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 182
  • V6_Mausoleum.jpg
    V6_Mausoleum.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 186
- Medieval Tech tree. This is probably one of my most...self-controversial issues? It's an Ancient World mod, yet Civilization V has the future era. So why can't I? I don't have to go indepth, but I want to know if you guys would like to see some medieval techs/units/buildings?

I'd rather see the existing time period covered more in depth rather than extend the time/technology period.

By the way, have you checked your PMs recently? :mischief:

I'd rather see the existing time period covered more in depth rather than extend the time/technology period.

By the way, have you checked your PMs recently? :mischief:

Yes I have but I thought it wouldn't be prudent to reply until a decision was made. Patience, my friend. :)

Remember, December is the time when finals are around. I'll have to see where I'm at. :D

I could help with making icons or any other 2d related art. What do you need?

Well every custom asset is currently assigned a custom icon. However, I think some of them are pretty low quality.

Here's a quick list of some I'm unhappy about:

Building - Fortress
Building - Church
Building - Musician
Building - Academy
Building (Wonder) - Statue of Zeus
Building - Ancient Observatory
Building - Phoenician Market Exchange
Building - Herbalist's Shop
Building - Ishtar Gate (I'd like a custom icon there)
Unit - Clibanarii
Unit - Lydian Noble Cavalry
Unit - Quadquereme
Unit - Helepolis
Unit - Siege Ship
Unit - Quinquereme
Unit - Phoenician Trader
Tech - Alphabet
Tech - Music
Tech - Drama
Tech - Ballistics (big one here lol...)
Tech - Irrigation
Tech - Literature

Any help would be appreciated, as always! :D

Why do they keep being deleted? Is it the DLC icons which are distrubted for free?

Maybe. I really don't see them actually -viewing- the icons.

I'll change em if I have to, though. We'll see. I'll just reupload.

http://www.wikiupload.com/4330KXW3TLA5GUX

I mean, they're just icons...

Okay what I might do is split the mod into two parts, enough to upload into the civfanatics board. I wouldn't expect you guys to take it down. What an unnecessary hassle.

I would reccomend removing everything that's from a DLC, just to be on the safe side.

Yeah I did promise a vanilla version anyways. Except Babylon is a DLC civ. :p

Wait, does the DLC stuff require the DLC, or is it included?

I used only a few assets from the Wonders and Polynesia DLC in my mod. Fishing icon, Sumeria icons, Sumeria map, Hittite map, and Mausoleum icon. I felt it unfair if I required two more DLCs for icons...

So here is my question. Were the DLC icons included in the patch, and uploaded into the vanilla files? Do you need the DLCs to actually view them?

Top Bottom