[GS] Future Update?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Judging by the number of pages that have passed since it was brought up, "STK" could stand for "Stupid Time Killer".
I like cats so I hope it stands for "Slowly Trained Kittens" - more units getting cat skin..

Ooooh, I know! I got it. I got it! *raises hand* They're going to add a new era BEFORE the Classical Era. The "era of STicKs and stones!"!

Edit: D'oh! I meant before the Ancient Era!

Last edited:
This thread is a testament to the stupidity of 2K/Firaxis policy of absolutely no communication with fans outside of dropping something suddenly every few months. Stupidity as in, dissatisfying its clients very much and not adoptong to changing times.

Compare with with Paradox and their weekly dev diaries for all games and regular posting with fanbase.

Or even better, an irony: on this very forum Amplitude Studios account guy is more active about Humankind in special HK-devoted thread than Firaxis is active about their own game to which this entire forum is devoted.

That's also why Paradox forums are always full of life while here they are borderline dead outside of patch release zone hotspots and 3-4 months before new expansion.
All this is not helped by very outdated "expansions" model instead of reasonably done DLCs released more often. Crusader Kings II had like 14 big DLCs over 6 years plus some minor ones and they usually had great quality, end on average there were like two patches every big DLC, documented weekly. There was always something new (and it was always somewhat optional, civ expansions basically force you to spend money to keep up).

Firaxis has natural enthusiasm to contact fanbase (I think 2k forces them to silence regime), no history of really bad PR fails and great format of videos (first look videos for new civs were genius idea) but its not enough when they are silent for months, fanbase is obviously dissatisfied.

Last edited:
This thread is a testament to the stupidity of 2K/Firaxis policy of absolutely no communication with fans outside of dropping something suddenly every few months. Stupidity as in, dissatisfying its clients very much and not adoptong to changing times.

Compare with with Paradox and their weekly dev diaries for all games and regular posting with fanbase.

Or even better, an irony: on this very forum Amplitude Studios account guy is more active about Humankind in special HK-devoted thread than Firaxis is active about their own game to which this entire forum is devoted.

Eh, Paradox's development diaries are just advertisements to hype their next overpriced expansion. I tend to stop playing Paradox games once they start advertising the new features coming in the next patch. It's like when we're just a few weeks from the next Civ expansion, except that it's pretty much all the time because Paradox publishes so much DLC.

I kind of like it this way, though. The developers talk to us when they have something to say and leave us alone when they don't. What's so bad about that?

Eh, Paradox's development diaries are just advertisements to hype their next overpriced expansion.

I disagree, they are informative and honest, devastating majority of them has like 99% upvotes (sometimes they do fail such as infamous "one consul" imperator DD) and if mechanics ultimately fail it usually has more to do with unexpected complications along the road or misaimed reaction, not malevolence or incompetence. Main exceptions were probably handling of last Stellaris update with its technica problems and last 2-3 controversial expansions to eu4 (because of controversial time DDRJake was leading team).

As for overpriced - they very often get into sales (not just Steam but Paradox own sales) and more importantly their features tend to be very optional in nature. I actually prefer that over Civ model when you basically have to but the next expansion because a) you are playing universally interior version and b) everybody goes to play it and mod it.
You can have not a single ck2 dlc and feel complete while downloading mods and being up to date with most mechanics. In civ expansions release basically switches off your mods or their updates and leaves you out of game's lifecycle.

I tend to stop playing Paradox games once they start advertising the new features coming in the next patch.

I didn't, I have also played eu4 for a long time without several latest DLCs

I kind of like it this way, though. The developers talk to us when they have something to say and leave us alone when they don't. What's so bad about that?

This thread and 2500 posts talking for months about pain of waiting and desperately trying to predict next crumb of information about the game is very clear message people want more info more often.

Not to mention the fact every Paradox DD has something to say...

For an example of how a game company should interact with the gamer base, go check out the 'Humankind' Thread in this Forum. Amplitude has a fellow monitoring a Thread in a Forum for an entirely different (albiet related) game just to keep our Wild-A** Speculations roughly on track. Then check out Amplitude's own forums over at the Games2Gether site: constant communication with the gamers, feedback and acknowledgements, so it's not just 'hyping' a forthcoming game.

There's no such thing as a perfect balance, but I think Amplitude has struck a much better balance between the requirements of Marketing, Copyright, and Business and Maintaining a decent relationship with the Gamer Base than anyone connected with the Civ franchise.

Eh, Paradox's development diaries are just advertisements to hype their next overpriced expansion. I tend to stop playing Paradox games once they start advertising the new features coming in the next patch. It's like when we're just a few weeks from the next Civ expansion, except that it's pretty much all the time because Paradox publishes so much DLC.

Speak for yourself. I love almost all of the games Paradox create.....about as much as I love all Firaxis games. Two of the best Developers around at this point in time.

That's also why Paradox forums are always full of life while here they are borderline dead outside of patch release zone hotspots and 3-4 months before new expansion.
All this is not helped by very outdated "expansions" model instead of reasonably done DLCs released more often. Crusader Kings II had like 14 big DLCs over 6 years plus some minor ones and they usually had great quality, end on average there were like two patches every big DLC, documented weekly. There was always something new (and it was always somewhat optional, civ expansions basically force you to spend money to keep up).

Firaxis has natural enthusiasm to contact fanbase (I think 2k forces them to silence regime), no history of really bad PR fails and great format of videos (first look videos for new civs were genius idea) but its not enough when they are silent for months, fanbase is obviously dissatisfied.
Amen. Give him a beer! :thumbsup:

As for overpriced - they very often get into sales (not just Steam but Paradox own sales) and more importantly their features tend to be very optional in nature.

It depends on the game. I really don't think that applies to EU4, for instance. There's stuff in there locked behind DLC which you essentially need for the basic experience.

Stellaris is a different story, though it's a much more recent game.

For DLC my prefered model is Creative Assembly's, at least in regards to Warhammer 2. New Factions are locked behind DLC, BUT it only locks you from playing with them, NOT against them, because they are added to the game as part of the free update. You never feel like you're missing on anything for not buying the DLC, and you only need to buy it once you get tired of all the free content, which is A LOT.

No idea how communicative CA is, I never go there.

EU4/CK2 are also much more complex games with much more systems in play. I really can't imagine how many dev diaries Firaxis could even do. Like about what?

They don't add new mechanics through patches, and when a new EP comes out they have had livestreams every week to show it off during Gathering Storm and as far as I remember during Rise and Fall.

I really can't imagine how many dev diaries Firaxis could even do. Like about what?

Depends if they want to focus strictly on in-game mechanics. If they expand their scope they could talk about certain creative decisions and background information about it. For example, say they add 6 new civs and 10 new wonders. Each could be an episode of their own explaining what made it stand out to them, some ideas they though about regarding the implementation etc. Even if they cram several civs/wonders together and have one episode per month, they'd still have enough content probably. I'd definitely watch something like that.

Eh, I don't need constant entertainment/distraction when there's nothing really going on yet. That's what you do for toddlers on a long car trip.

Talking here is probably more interesting than anything someone official is going to want to say anyhow.

Let's not split hairs.
This is not about dev diaries or EU4. This is all about:
1. communication with a player base.
2. outdated development cycle (arguable without deeper analysis)
The aridity of 124 pages of this thread shows the problem well. I share the same emotions here. Coming back here to see some news and x pages of nothing but our expectations...

I'm not really bothered that the devs aren't that communicative. Of course, I wish they had something to share with us.

The only things that irritate me are the fluff tweets on Twitter about who your favourite leader is for X victory, when they know very well that people are hoping for bug fixes or patch/DLC news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom