[GS] Future Update?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1000x800 map size for a 4X game should be considered tiny, especially considering the multi-threading capabilities of today's first line personnel computers. Since "Civ VI" should have been titled Civ Revolutions II, I can not justify wasting any more good money on it unless it meets the minimum requirements I stated in my previous post.

This is ridiculous and I can't tell whether you're being sarcastic.

If you're being serious then what you're asking for, ironically, is to not be taken seriously. There's a chasm between being critical of something and just complaining for the sake of it.

Edit: Unless you mean 100x80? I'd still find it unreasonable to consider that tiny, but at least there's something there to work with.

Last edited:
On one hand, I can see that it's a subtle hint that it's Ethiopia. 10 achievements could work for a 2 civ DLC, right?

But some others have said that it's more of an allusion to Ed. It could simply be their way of letting us know that Civ 6 is still alive.

This thread was getting to the point where people were calling it for it to be closed and that we have no new info. Suddenly a Depot (that doesn't even contain anything) named "Runner" shows up and less than an hour later Ed tweets about the Boston Marathon. So it looks like this is a nod to us to not lose hope and be patient. Patience and endurance win marathons.

All that instantly came to mind for me was rebels because of the lines in the Rush song New World Man "He's a rebel and a runner/ He's a signal turning green".
If you're a Rush fan, I'm surprised Marathon didn't spring to mind:

"From first to last
The peak is never passed
But something always fires the light that gets in your eyes

One moment's high
And glory rolls on by
Like a streak of lightning that flashes and fades in the summer sky"

Hmmm . . .summer sky . . . maybe an early summer (late June) release

This is total speculation, but here's my (provisional) interpretation of Runner: it's a nickname for Ed Beach, and this will be an expansion that has his fingerprints all over it. It will fill out the game like the last Civ V expansion did. Possible features include ideologies, a new Enlightenment era, overhaul of trade system, colonization mechanics, and economic victory.
..and diseases - hence WC runners.. :vomit:

Hold on just a minute, ‘Runner’ is a unique unit for the Harappans in Humankind. What if the third expansion is actually just Humankind, and Firaxis set up Amplitude as a prank to fool us all along!
When we should know in about 1½ month..

I like more the idea of dystopian "Blade Runner" future.
"Runner" is obviously a reference to Blade Runner, one of the most famous movies with "Runner" in the title. THURSDAY June 25th (the original release date for the movie) must be release day boys!
:run:

"Runner" is obviously a reference to Chariots of Fire, one of the most famous movies about "Runners". Although that movie was released in the fall - as everyone knows this movie was made all the better by the classic soundtrack by Vangelis. March 29th (Vangelis birthday) must be release day boys!

Yes, these are completely made up dates. We obviously (real use of that word now) have no clue what it means - except that Civ 6 is not dead - and they are still toying with us.

Only 10 achievements and the survey last year suggests its DLC, not an expansion. The question is then is it just Leaders / Civs + Wonders, or will there be actual substantive content. Honestly, who knows at this point?

I believe people said that the number of achievements was closer to the previous small DLC like Australia or SE Asia right?

If so doesn't a single civ plus a scenario seem the most likely? Maybe Ethiopia plus a racing themed scenario? First to circumnavigate the world?

That does count against my speculation, but I'm going to enjoy my fantasy a little bit longer. ;)

This is ridiculous and I can't tell whether you're being sarcastic.

If you're being serious then what you're asking for, ironically, is to not be taken seriously. There's a chasm between being critical of something and just complaining for the sake of it.

Edit: Unless you mean 100x80? I'd still find it unreasonable to consider that tiny, but at least there's something there to work with.
A map of 100 x 80 (which I believe is the approx. size of civ 6's largest map) this comes to 8000 hexs, this is less than 5's 10240 hex immense map setting and 100,000 fewer hexs than the decade old Gal Civ II's largest map. You can not even play Gedmon's 200 x 100 largest map size because it crashes in late game.
I have no quarrel with the people that play this game as a War Game, I however play it for what it is advertised as which is a 4X Strategy game and want a map that leaves time to explore and expand before having to defend against braindead attacks by the AI. To have this means larger maps. I will grant that a 800,000 hex map is to large for a fast game, however I play as a way to pass time and taking weeks to play a game is okay with me as I do not need to beat a braindead AI to stroke my ego, done more in real life to actually help others, that I do not need to impress others.
I also believe if 2K wanted a war game that could be played on phones and Ipads they should have made Civ Rev 2 and left the Civilization franchise to it's core market.

Ah so now we have a new paradigm, important news no longer drops while I am asleep, but when I am at work
Cmon, admit it, you were sleeping on the job...
...keep it up!

I believe the theory that 'runner' really doesn't have anything to do with the contents of the DLC, and they just happened to name it that because Ed Beach was doing the thing for the marathon and so they figured "eh, it's topical". At most, it could suggest a Boston marathon release date, but I doubt it.

"Runner" is obviously a reference to Blade Runner, one of the most famous movies with "Runner" in the title. THURSDAY June 25th (the original release date for the movie) must be release day boys!

"Runner" is obviously a reference to Chariots of Fire, one of the most famous movies about "Runners". Although that movie was released in the fall - as everyone knows this movie was made all the better by the classic soundtrack by Vangelis. March 29th (Vangelis birthday) must be release day boys!

Yes, these are completely made up dates. We obviously (real use of that word now) have no clue what it means - except that Civ 6 is not dead - and they are still toying with us.

Vangelis also did Blade Runner's soundtrack.... So... Maybe there is something to this, even if you're being facetious ;)

If this is a Expansion (which I doubt; I'm in the DLC camp here) then what if "Runner" is the code name of the expansion of which the cover artwork for it will be of a classical/renaissance running statue?

Just like Vanilla was Atlas, Summer Update was the Thinker, R&F was the Discobolus and GS [annoyingly ruined the theme with the beautiful] Volcano?

One thing that I hope the next update adds is different modern architecture styles for city centers. All of them have the god awful skyscrapers with no cultural variation whatsoever.
Yes! For sure! And also variations of buildings in unique districts; Phonecia, Mali and Zulu get unique buildings in their Cothon, Suguba and Ikanda but the Seowan, Street Carnival/Copacabana and other unique districts do not.

If this is a Expansion (which I doubt; I'm in the DLC camp here) then what if "Runner" is the code name of the expansion of which the cover artwork for it will be of a classical/renaissance running statue?

Good thinking. Could be so!

Just like Vanilla was Atlas, Summer Update was the Thinker, R&F was the Discobolus and GS [annoyingly ruined the theme with the beautiful] Volcano?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom