[GS] Future Update?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, you know I don't need an alias to complain about the lack of moddability for civ6 compared to civ4 and civ5 :D

But the state of the civ6 modding scene is indeed saddening, I don't understand why they've put so much work into a great framework before release (because it is truly a great base), but leaved us in the dark ever since, with welcome but very few additions to the tools.
Moddability is definitely an issue. The need for 3D art in Civ VI is a huge obstacle for most casual modders like me. Creating wonders and buildings for IV and V was a piece of cake. Secondly Civ VI is pretty well loaded with content as compared to Civ V and even Civ IV. When I began modding Civ V, I did it because of the lack of content. Civ VI doesn’t really need a whole lot to be honest.

The diminishing interest from the modding-community, are my greatest fear in this prolonging period of "no news".
I heavily depend my play-troughs on genius creations from others, and will not play Civ6 without them. And with lack of good modding tool, a possible merge-function, access to DLL files, etc, and the loooooooong development cycle (with none to nothing information along the road), I totally understand that people loose interest in the game, and move on to other challenges... And it doesn't help that "all" mods needs to update, after every little update/patch/fix released from Firaxis...
(This is not a "look for other mod-alternatives"-post)

The lack of DLL does seem to be a big complaint from modders. The lack of DLL access could also mean that Firaxis has something else planned before they stop supporting the game... let’s hope.
I don’t think the development cycle has anything to do with it. Civ VI and the expansions released at the same pace as Civ V. People felt that Civ V needed fixing so there was a lot of motivation for people to create mods. Civ VI doesn’t seem to suffer from that issue as much. As a matter of fact, it almost seems like Firaxis took many of the best ideas from Civ V mods and incorporated them into VI.

Do we have any data on how many players actually use any mod?
At least from steam achievements, we can calculate that:
42% of players archived any kind of win
36% have played at least once on LAN multiplayer
15% archived at least one win on king difficulty
5% on a deity

only 15% scored a win on king difficulty? This is really sad. It is like 85% Of buyers have not really played civ 6. I hope firaxis does not draw conclusions from this.
I did not play any lan game myself do. Nether in the 4000+ hours i played civ 4. Nor Do i have a any plans to do so in the future.

Do we have any data on how many players actually use any mod?
At least from steam achievements, we can calculate that:
42% of players archived any kind of win
36% have played at least once on LAN multiplayer
15% archived at least one win on king difficulty
5% on a deity
How do those stats relate to mod use? You can get achievements with or without mods with Civ VI.

The diminishing interest from the modding-community, are my greatest fear in this prolonging period of "no news".
I heavily depend my play-troughs on genius creations from others, and will not play Civ6 without them. And with lack of good modding tool, a possible merge-function, access to DLL files, etc, and the loooooooong development cycle (with none to nothing information along the road), I totally understand that people loose interest in the game, and move on to other challenges... And it doesn't help that "all" mods needs to update, after every little update/patch/fix released from Firaxis...
(This is not a "look for other mod-alternatives"-post)

Can you explain what you mean by "merge-function"?

only 15% scored a win on king difficulty? This is really sad. It is like 85% Of buyers have not really played civ 6. I hope firaxis does not draw conclusions from this.
I did not play any lan game myself do. Nether in the 4000+ hours i played civ 4. Nor Do i have a any plans to do so in the future.

Especially since some of us get bored out of our minds with the late game but really enjoy the rest of it. Just because I don't finish many games doesn't mean I don't love Civ.

Can you explain what you mean by "merge-function"?
If 2 (or more) mods changes settings in same game-file (and uses different way of coding), those 2 mods are not compatible, and can't be used in same play-trough. So we, as mod-users, must be aware and if conflict, make a choice.
And for none-experienced mod-users, this can be annoying and difficult to understand.
And of course; this imply that we have a easy way to "see" a conflict.
Example:
Merge manager complete, with 2 unresolved conflicts:
1) Mod A and Mod B need manual merge, due to make sure what priority should apply.
2) Mod A and Mod C changes the same value, on the same object "Original game has Starting Warrior = 1, Mod A has Starting Warrior = 2 and Mod C has Starting Warrior has Starting Warrior = 4. Make a choice."

And look for subscribers for the Top-20 mods doesn't reflect use of the mods. Only that it is downloaded. I guess only Firaxis / 2K are sitting on the telemetry data for "started game with mods" / "finished game with mods"
It can't be hard for Firaxis to make some "community achievements" telling us such stats...

If 2 (or more) mods changes settings in same game-file (and uses different way of coding), those 2 mods are not compatible, and can't be used in same play-trough. So we, as mod-users, must be aware and if conflict, make a choice.
And for none-experienced mod-users, this can be annoying and difficult to understand.
And of course; this imply that we have a easy way to "see" a conflict.
Example:
Merge manager complete, with 2 unresolved conflicts:
1) Mod A and Mod B need manual merge, due to make sure what priority should apply.
2) Mod A and Mod C changes the same value, on the same object "Original game has Starting Warrior = 1, Mod A has Starting Warrior = 2 and Mod C has Starting Warrior has Starting Warrior = 4. Make a choice."
I don’t even see how this would be possible. Each mod is designed to achieve a specific end goal. If you change one simple line of code in a mod, the mod will simply not work like it was intended. The only way to merge two mods is to disable one or disable a certain feature of a mod. Essentially you have to create a new mod to make two incompatible mods work together.

Two simple mods that changes the same attribute, isn't my point. But the large, complex mods (like once changing the UI) gets easily in conflicts with other mods that changes other attributes in the same files.
Or for example you are using 2 mods, Mod A is an overall change of the tech-three and moves around stuff, and Mod B changes a unit to be available in a different tech then vanilla, this could conflict.
I often see mod-users complain that a mod is broken, since what it proclaims, doesn't work as intended. But are very often due to one or more mod-conflicts...

A Merge-Manager, would tell the user that Mod A and B are in conflict (function, attribute, value, parameter, etc), and make user choose. And in some cases make 2 mods be able to exist 100% in same game.
Merger must ( I think) create a Mod C out of the conflicting objects of A and B. This will also reduce the request of mod patches between mods.
The Community created mod "Script Merger" in Witcher 3 is an example of that. But since Civ6 is more complex, Firaxis should provide better mod-tools, both for creations and use.

Especially since some of us get bored out of our minds with the late game but really enjoy the rest of it. Just because I don't finish many games doesn't mean I don't love Civ.

i agree with you. I do tend to finish my games. especially to earn another achievement. I must have played 6 Russia games where i did not finish till the end do. In the beginning of civ 6 the turn times on end game were bad. so this killed a couple of my playthroughs.

I have played C6 at least 1000 hrs. online at least 3x that offline, played hotseat as 3 or 4 civs, must have a minimum of 200 starts, and maybe finished 2 games. I have quit all the others not currently in my save files when it has become apparent that I have won. Having 30+ cities all requiring actions ( because unlike 1-5, 6 does not allow you to but a city to making money when every thing that it needs is built) every turn there is no incentive to finish. No, achievements are not a reason for me to continue as my ego does not need stroking especially for beating 6's dementia inflicted AI. Yes by the time I reach Modern Armor my cities can crank out one in a turn or two and as by this time my Armed Forces are 2 to 3 times the combined strength of all the AI's force I have no need to build them.

Now imagine if `Runner` means units' movement speed will alter based on game speed. For example, Marathon game speed will make units move slower, while Online/Quick speed will make units move faster (run).

Now imagine if `Runner` means units' movement speed will alter based on game speed. For example, Marathon game speed will make units move slower, while Online/Quick speed will make units move faster (run).
That sounds lovely on a huge map..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom