[GS] Future Update?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If someone had told me 3 months ago that we would have a Genesis reunion before we had any news on the next civ6 patch, much less any new content, I would have laughed them hard in the face, yet here we are ... :rolleyes:
Mmm, something else the world doesn't need. ;)

Mmm, something else the world doesn't need. ;)
Déjà vu ... I already thought "He was an ok drummer, but why start singing in much TOO SMALL shoes?
So what is this reunion compared with early Genesis ... a Revelation?

But indeed, who had ever thought this and still NO word from Firaxis for months?

Actually, that's not true, otherwise it wouldn't be turning into pandemic.
The problem with the virus is exactly that it is going everywhere very soon. :king:

On more serious and on-topic note ad Longswordsman: Even from non-historic aspect, judging it purely by sense of aesthetic and style, it felt like such underwhelming unit. Your Swordsmen are upgraded! They are still Swordsmen! But LONG! I'd much prefer If the upgrades felt huge even thematically and mechanically. Same goes for Composite Bowman. I am not so historically educated in army matters, so maybe I am wrong, but isn't it really just like... A group of Archers for backline to perform volleys? That's like upgrading Infantry into Squad or something, or no?
I'm going to go out on a limb (danger: vague know-how and not good research here) that historically the longsword had significant cultural impact; I am comparing it to 1) the stirrup, which broke the balance of power by making men on horseback suddenly able to hit with the momentum of the horse instead of the rider, and 2) the rifle vs musket. Both seem small but in practice at times in history they swung entire philosophies of warfare.

Historically, the only people on foot in the Medieval Era with two-handed or Great Swords were dismounted knights, and even they more often were using regular swords, maces, battleaxes, etc. The most common Medieval Era Great Weapon for infantry, in fact, was the two-handed long-shaft Axe.

Halbards had a brief popularity as auxiliary weapons in Pike units - the early Swiss pike 'blocks' for example, included halbards and the Landsknechts included 'double pay men' with halbards or two-handed swords - but the Landsknechts were Renaissance Units, not Medieval - Maximilian formed the first units in 1486 CE.
The English 'billmen', in fact were armed with a form of Halbard (added a Hook or 'billhook' to the blade and spear of the halbard), but that is the only large number of infantry I know of armed exclusively with the weapon, and, again, they were 16th century, or Renaissance Units.

The sad fact for everybody trying to add an Upgraded Swordsman to the Medieval Era is that there really was No Such Thing. The same 30 - 33" long sword that had first been invented by the Celts in 800 BCE, used by the Spanish Celtiberians, adopted by the Romans as the Spatha and used by Vikings and mounted troops all over Europe was still the most common 'sword' right up to the time when noblemen were bringing them to Gunfights and losing. The only Upgrade was the invention of pattern welding to give a better quality of low-grade steel in the blades after about 200 CE (a process invented by the Celts, or at least in Northern Europe). Some specialty units, like Saxon Huscarles (Hastings - armored men on foot with two-handed axes) had 'Great Weapons', but the vast majority of Medieval infantry were armed with spears, swords, or missile weapons unless they were dismounted knights.
Until around 1300, when the Swiss, Scots, and Flemish militia revived the pike, which became the most common infantry close-quarters weapon for the next 390 years - right through the end of the medieval period, the Renaissance, and into the beginning of the Industrial Era.

The facts should be another nail in the coffin of Civilization's artificial Unit Classes, but facts have never stood in the way of Game Design, so I wouldn't hold my breath . . .

Actually, that's not true, otherwise it wouldn't be turning into pandemic.
The problem with the virus is exactly that it is going everywhere very soon. :king:

On more serious and on-topic note ad Longswordsman: Even from non-historic aspect, judging it purely by sense of aesthetic and style, it felt like such underwhelming unit. Your Swordsmen are upgraded! They are still Swordsmen! But LONG! I'd much prefer If the upgrades felt huge even thematically and mechanically. Same goes for Composite Bowman. I am not so historically educated in army matters, so maybe I am wrong, but isn't it really just like... A group of Archers for backline to perform volleys? That's like upgrading Infantry into Squad or something, or no?

I agree with @Boris Gudenuf in principle, but we’re basically stuck with the current unit structures at this point in the game’s development. Personally I would prefer to have just one type of “melee” unit, and have a more direct connection between units and overall Population and Economy (a bit like EU IV’s Force Limit), instead of the current split between Melee and Anti-Cav and he unlimited ability to keep cranking out units (where do all these men come from!?!), but it is what it is.

My hope is that whatever Medieval Melee we get, it’s just not a Longswordsmen. None of the options are particularly historical, but that options seems the least historical to me.

My other hopes are that FXS maybe tweak the Melee +10 v AC and make it a bit more situational rather than a flat bonus, and perhaps re-introduce some sort of bonus for Gunpowder Units v Non-Gun Powder Units. That and just a general balance pass for units. But I’m not holding my breath. Until then, there’s @Sostratus ’s Mod.

Leaving aside silly Longswordsmen, I am looking forward to other unit gaps getting filled, particularly Seige and Ranged (Trebuchets and Compound Bows). If we get some good Future Units that could be quite cool.

Sorry couldn't let this pass... Collins was a lot of things ( and still is), both negative and positive, depending on point of view... But OK Drummer ? No ! Please ! Collins was one of the best drummers EVER ! Period ! That's not even open to discussion !

You should have opened this statement with 'Hold on!'.

Moderator Action: Please take discussions of Swordsmen to a separate thread. Drummers are off topic. We are starting to see some action and spamming this thread needs to stop.

2kqa_c had another evening update.

That's two evenings in a row (in the U.S.) - are they pulling late hours trying to finish up something? Or are the depots being updated from somewhere else in the world?

Sigh. Just imagine if FXS suddenly dropped a Third Expansion announcement? It’d be nuts.

So, an announcement. Two months of live streams. Then 8 leaders / civs including favourites like Portugal. Presumably a bunch of wonder, unit and building gaps filled. You could assume some old Civ 5 mechanics updated and brought back? Maybe some new things? No idea what, but I’d expect some speculation and suggestions would be proven right and there would also be some good surprises. And then, most importantly, a patch. Honestly, almost the best thing about GS was just the patch that came with it.

I mean, having waited this long, there would be much eye-rolling. But still. Nuts.

If there’s a expansion coming, I’m guessing there’s still a long wait ahead - assuming nothing would be released until about 2+ months after an announcement.

But still seems like something smaller to me, otherwise why 10 achievements? Why the survey about DLC? I like @Eagle Pursuit ‘s idea that FXS would release a free scenario etc to keep people amused, and then a Third Expansion later. But that seems very hopeful to me.

This is all quite tedious.

Last edited:
At the time the survey came out, I thought it was mostly there to inform decision-making about Civ 7. But then at the time I assumed they were doing a third expansion with the November-February timescale, and that it would be well under development by then.

At the time the survey came out, I thought it was mostly there to inform decision-making about Civ 7. But then at the time I assumed they were doing a third expansion with the November-February timescale, and that it would be well under development by then.

I’d also (wrongly) assumed 3XP Nov-Feb, and so assumed the survey was about content after a Third Expansion.

Now I don’t know what to think. Given how long the delay has been, and given people seem to be generally asking for a 3XP, it feels like we might get a Third Expansion. There’s certainly enough space in the game for one. But all the other indications seem like DLC.

In fairness, I could see the logic of delaying a Third Expansion, to give people more time to digest the previous content, get all the console versions out and (most importantly) let people’s wallets recover. But the kind of sort of silence at this stage is a mystery.

To be clear, I’m not too worried. I’m quite enjoying EU IV and BattleTech - big games that scratch similar or parallel itches[0], and both which feel much more complete. Still. I’d like to know if we’re basically done or not for Civ and, if not, when FXS is going to fill out those last bits (or, indeed, go beyond that and really really add new stuff to this game).[1]

[0] On reflection, that metaphor sounds a bit gross.

[1] And sorry, I’m probably just saying the same things over and over again but with different words. I’m just a bit fed up with this yes no maybe Expansion DLC Content etc.

Last edited:
I’d also (wrongly) assumed 3XP Nov-Feb, and so assumed the survey was about content after a Third Expansion.

Now I don’t know what to think. Given how long the delay has been, and given people seem to be generally asking for a 3XP, it feels like we might get a Third Expansion. There’s certainly enough space in the game for one. But all the other indications seem like DLC.

In fairness, I could see the logic of delaying a Third Expansion, to give people more time to digest the previous content, get all the console versions out and (most importantly) let people’s wallets recover. But the kind of sort of silence at this stage is a mystery.

To be clear, I’m not too worried. I’m quite enjoying EU IV and BattleTech - big games that scratch similar or parallel itches[0], and both which feel much more complete. Still. I’d like to know if we’re basically done or not for Civ and, if not, when FXS is going to fill out those last bits (or, indeed, go beyond that and really really add new stuff to this game).

[0] On reflection, that metaphor sounds a bit gross.
I just wish we got at least a little communication. The silence from the devs is driving me insane. Its gotten to the point that I actually have dreams about the next expansion. I need help.

I just wish we got at least a little communication.

Exactly. I’m happy to wait for stuff. I don’t need a freaking dev diary live stream alpha test shenanigans. Just, you know, a bit of communication about what on earth is going on.

I just wish we got at least a little communication. The silence from the devs is driving me insane. Its gotten to the point that I actually have dreams about the next expansion. I need help.

first step is to recognize you have a problem , second step is to ignore it and keep coming to this very "winter update" topic non stop all the time. welcome to the brotherhood of the civfanatics.

first step is to recognize you have a problem , second step is to ignore it and keep coming to this very "winter update" topic non stop all the time. welcome to the brotherhood of the civfanatics.

Yeah. That’s my problem currently too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom