1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Future Update?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Aussie_Lurker, Sep 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

Historically, the only people on foot in the Medieval Era with two-handed or Great Swords were dismounted knights, and even they more often were using regular swords, maces, battleaxes, etc. The most common Medieval Era Great Weapon for infantry, in fact, was the two-handed long-shaft Axe.

Halbards had a brief popularity as auxiliary weapons in Pike units - the early Swiss pike 'blocks' for example, included halbards and the Landsknechts included 'double pay men' with halbards or two-handed swords - but the Landsknechts were Renaissance Units, not Medieval - Maximilian formed the first units in 1486 CE.
    The English 'billmen', in fact were armed with a form of Halbard (added a Hook or 'billhook' to the blade and spear of the halbard), but that is the only large number of infantry I know of armed exclusively with the weapon, and, again, they were 16th century, or Renaissance Units.

The sad fact for everybody trying to add an Upgraded Swordsman to the Medieval Era is that there really was No Such Thing. The same 30 - 33" long sword that had first been invented by the Celts in 800 BCE, used by the Spanish Celtiberians, adopted by the Romans as the Spatha and used by Vikings and mounted troops all over Europe was still the most common 'sword' right up to the time when noblemen were bringing them to Gunfights and losing. The only Upgrade was the invention of pattern welding to give a better quality of low-grade steel in the blades after about 200 CE (a process invented by the Celts, or at least in Northern Europe). Some specialty units, like Saxon Huscarles (Hastings - armored men on foot with two-handed axes) had 'Great Weapons', but the vast majority of Medieval infantry were armed with spears, swords, or missile weapons unless they were dismounted knights.
    Until around 1300, when the Swiss, Scots, and Flemish militia revived the pike, which became the most common infantry close-quarters weapon for the next 390 years - right through the end of the medieval period, the Renaissance, and into the beginning of the Industrial Era.

The facts should be another nail in the coffin of Civilization's artificial Unit Classes, but facts have never stood in the way of Game Design, so I wouldn't hold my breath . . .

2. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Prince

Breaking of NDA is a serious offence. You should not expect this to happen.

Bagfran and blackcatatonic like this.
  3. Gyrofalcon

Gyrofalcon Warlord

9 hours ago, 2kqa_c got a version update on Steam: 4734064 › 4740095
    So they are updating the QA build to new versions, and I do believe changes are good. At least it shows activity from the Dev's

Hawke9, Inawordyes, tedhebert and 3 others like this.
  4. RohirrimElf

RohirrimElf Emperor

The 7 digit steam number has no significance right. Wether it is 4734065 or 4740095

5. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Emperor

They are probably working on the marketing material for the announcement and leaders announcements, assuming this is an expansion or a DLC with leaders.

6. Kaan Boztepe

Kaan Boztepe Prince

or they are not actually updating but reuploading same stuff to get a higher depot number and we think a DLC or an XP is coming

7. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Prince

Each new build of a game gets a new number, so it has some bearing one might say.

8. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Emperor

or Kevin ran out of space to save his kpop stuff and decided to use steam as a personal archive. Runner is a reference to what he'll have to do if Firaxis find out.

9. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

What would be the advantage in their doing this, other than trolling?

10. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

If someone had told me 3 months ago that we would have a Genesis reunion before we had any news on the next civ6 patch, much less any new content, I would have laughed them hard in the face, yet here we are ... :rolleyes:

11. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

I just wonder what made them to deviate from the already established seasonal patching pattern. Maybe, after all, it is the third expansion that changes some mechanics or integrates new ones to the extent that they thought releasing the winter patch wasn't worth it? The present state of the game surely is not acceptable as final and requiring no further patching.

12. Pistol90

Pistol90 Prince

I also belive this corona virus has something with silence ... if there is going to be one new mechanics we could predict in 3rd exp I think it would be viruses and diseases - because there is already working diseases mechanic in game.

Maybe they wont reveal all content of the exp when they announce it, but they will reveal content with leaders ---- so that would take some time and this whole corona virus thing is gona calm down.

13. hazarius_a

hazarius_a Chieftain Supporter

In that case the definition of new achievements, which has been done beforehand, would be completely useless.

Its not unusual in the software and gaming industry in particular to 'deviate' from release cycles, whether officially or accidentally (in this case: the latter) established. Marketing and/or board members always want to have something ready by date x/y/z but in the end it's still 'done when it's done'. Of course methods like scrum or similar help to keep track of whatever process involved, avoiding 'duke nukem forever' scenarios. On the other hand: Until any release date or time-frame is communicated, you can be sure that the product is not yet ready for any discussion in public. As I work in software development myself, its completely understandable from that perspective.

acluewithout, Stilgar08 and CPWimmer like this.
  14. UncivilizedGuy

UncivilizedGuy The Village Idiot

I’m not sure if this means anything but I have stumbled across a couple of things creating mods.
    • I created an observatory building and an exclamation point appeared over a nearby mountain
    • I created a medicine technology and a medicine tech icon appeared (edit: never mind this was created for the Black Death scenario)
    Obviously the developers have had ideas that never made it to the game. I wonder if these are hints at what might be coming in the future.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  15. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Technically, it's noteworthy if the number goes backwards.

Kjimmet, bbbt and RohirrimElf like this.
  16. Neirai

Neirai the Forgiven

If it's a red 3d image of an exclamation point, it's the default placeholder for "3d model not found". Similar to how if your unit has no model, it will be a spearman.

17. Karmah

Karmah Emperor Supporter

I'd say the answer is in the question :)

18. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

Then the answer to my question is 'nothing'. I really don't believe they would bother to upload fake depots for no reason other than to troll.

Kjimmet, CPWimmer, Inawordyes and 8 others like this.
  19. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Prince

Haha, no I doubt that too. Tease a bit is one thing, but not make entire depots. ;)

20. Jeppetto

Jeppetto King

Actually, that's not true, otherwise it wouldn't be turning into pandemic.
    The problem with the virus is exactly that it is going everywhere very soon. :king:

On more serious and on-topic note ad Longswordsman: Even from non-historic aspect, judging it purely by sense of aesthetic and style, it felt like such underwhelming unit. Your Swordsmen are upgraded! They are still Swordsmen! But LONG! I'd much prefer If the upgrades felt huge even thematically and mechanically. Same goes for Composite Bowman. I am not so historically educated in army matters, so maybe I am wrong, but isn't it really just like... A group of Archers for backline to perform volleys? That's like upgrading Infantry into Squad or something, or no?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.