1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Future Update?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Aussie_Lurker, Sep 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AvianBritish

AvianBritish King

Oh I don't believe it. But it's just a funny thought I had when people keep raising it; a stand off between two developers to see who blinks first.

Spoiler EDIT :
    I am in the Civ camp and am very very skeptical with Humankind; I hated Endless Legend as it was so linear and restrictive despite being randomly generated. Not to mention I felt cheated out of the DLCs for it; when you look at some games like Civ6 and others (which I won't name but have been mentioned before) they feel like their expansions are adding to the game. But with Endless Legend I felt like I was being made to pay for stuff that was necersey for the base game... like ships! How can you have a empire building game and be completely land-locked with no ships! That's a core nessecity! So after feeling cheated by Amplitude before I don't care for this game from them which is some how supposed to be superior to Civ6.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  2. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Emperor

Also, there's simpler possible explanations. They might have delayed it because of the console versions, they might have chosen to release on the next fiscal year (the most likely imo), it might just be a good old fashioned delay for no other reason than they needed more time, or it might not even be a delay, they might have planned to release this unidentified content later than usual from the get-go.

3. ghost88

ghost88 Warlord

4. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

On a side note, coronavirus might very well cause a delay in planned announcement and release dates, though I expect that would be unrelated from the actual content of the game and just be a consequence of disruption in the production process.

I guess, being a digital product, a lot can be accomplished without physical interactions in an office space, but I wouldn't be surprised if a delay occurs.

Kjimmet and acluewithout like this.
  5. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

I wouldn't expect that to be a problem. Tech offices are usually set up for easy remote work, so maybe it would delay things by a few days or a week, but would certainly not cause long-term issues. I would also say a bigger likelihood, despite how rare it truly would be, were if they were doing a plague/pandemic theme heavily in the release (as seems like a lot of people a few months ago were highly interested in). It would certainly be bad timing to release Civ 6: Pandemic while the world is undergoing an actual global pandemic. But even the odds of that are still very remote.

Hawke9 likes this.
  6. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

What about stuff like music production which might require equipment and close collaboration not easily achieved remotely?

It only takes one piece in the process to slow down to affect the whole thing.

7. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

Really guys, if it were so, they would say so...

8. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

The question is, even if the new dlc/expansion is plague themed, does it matter to loyal fans? I routinely get annoyed when companies underestimate their audience and treat us like frightened little children that can't handle serious issues. I could go on a huge off topic rant about that, but for obvious reasons I won't. I realize my generation is tougher, and I empathize with people who get distressed. The question is, would anyone here even be offended at something like that? Would that actually bother anyone? I think Civ fans are mature enough to separate reality from a historical based game world.

9. VGT

VGT Chieftain

In such cases it's not the fans who are marketing division's worst nightmare. It's those people who might not even heard about a product until today but it's showing on their radar as a good stuff to start hate speech.

Inawordyes, 679x, Jeppetto and 3 others like this.
  10. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

At least such a leading case was created by Firaxis many years ago with the release of Civ 3. Here the existing option for spies to spread disease (i.e. poison water supply) in enemy towns has been removed with respect to the Iraq war: https://www.civfanatics.com/civ3/infocenter/

Edit: As the linked article is very long, I add a screenshot about that fact to this post:
    Spoiler :

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  11. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

Only if it had already been announced and they had to delay the planned release afterwards.

They're not going to come out and say "We had a reveal planned for tomorrow but due to [x] we'll have to reveal it in two weeks".

Jeppetto likes this.
  12. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

I disagree with you. Not about the fact than civ fans would be mostly outraged. I think mos of us would find the coincidence ironic and go on. but we are talking about major corporations here. I think it's VERY important to show some awareness of what is going on in the world at large and evaluate if there's a risk to their BRAND. And if I was the one doing that evaluation at this moment ? I would come to the conclusion that YES, there is a risk of negative reactions that could affect their whole brand, be if at 2K or at FX.

The more I look at how all this DLC/XP/evolution of the game (or lack thereof) confusion has been going lately, the more I feel that this is exactly what has been going on.

My take is that they they prepared a XP/DLC containing (amongst other things) incorporating diseases in the main game, and that they've made the decision to take it out now. I think all the recent activity on steam reflects that; they want to go ahead with releasing something, but they're working on taking out the disease parts from it.

It's certainly only a theory, but still, the point remains. If they HAD incorporated diseases in the game, most people would find it in highly bad taste to release it now, considering the situation.

kaspergm, Kmart_Elvis and VGT like this.
  13. Kaan Boztepe

Kaan Boztepe Prince

Only read this if you think the delay is because of the pandemic in the real world and the pandemic mechanic expected to come to civ.

civ fanatics members and the members of the sane civ fan base are not even 10% of their potantial sales. If the magazines and "influencers" start to bad mouth the franchise , because of the bad timing ( they try to capitalise on the real world misery and suffering etc) , it would be extremely bad for their business and would take a lot of time money and effort to revert back to their normal status where civ is series worth following and is always a top steamseller

14. OmegaDestroyer

OmegaDestroyer King

A plague-themed expansion wouldn't bother me in the slightest. It's a natural part of life that has impacted every empire in some form or another.

But I agree that non-civ fans might find something like that in poor taste despite historical relevance.

AvianBritish and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  15. Duuk

Duuk Doom-Sayer Supporter

It's not the people that play the game, or even the average Steam reviewer, that would bash the game if in included plague mechanics right now. It's the average Facebook Karen.

And that would be a marketing nightmare.

16. justjon

justjon Chieftain

Yup there would be all sorts of social justice warriors getting outraged on social media about things they barely understand - so no surprise there...

Just wait till they find out about Ghandi and his love of nukes

:mischief:

17. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Moderator Action: This thread is headed away from speculation on what may be in the patch or when it is coming and headed for current events and political considerations. It is not appropriate to go there. Discussion of the political beliefs of others is not a part of this thread. Please get back on topic.

18. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

A depot named compat last updated in 7 November 2018 was removed and a new(?) 2kqa_d added.

Edit: many of the depot numbers relate to the previously released DLC and they are in both compat and 2kqa_d. I don't know what that means.

Here:
    Spoiler :

RohirrimElf likes this.
  19. RohirrimElf

RohirrimElf Emperor

What does “compat” stand for? Might this be a scrapped feature in past expansions?

(maybe offtopic. But firaxis should better not launch a new expansion around the same time of the command and conquer remaster. I would not be able to choose what to play)

20. lordfistas

lordfistas Chieftain

"compatibility"? Maybe they moving to stage to start syncing all platforms?

RohirrimElf likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.