1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Future Update?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Aussie_Lurker, Sep 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smvalentine

smvalentine Warlord Supporter

Ya know... if they had branches smokea through smokez and updated them in the right order, they could send us, um, smoke signals about what they're up to. :mischief:

2. Vandlys

Vandlys Prince

Only if their alphabet uses the same order of letters as yours. Otherwise they might say F first, then U, and it wouldn't make sense to you, but be perfect translations of order in which the elder Futhark is written. : P

679x likes this.
  3. Loderingo

Loderingo Warlord

If I were Firaxis bosses I would be telling the team to hurry up whatever new DLC content they can! With the entire western world going into lockdown, there is never going to be a better time to sell more computer games.

4. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

Smoke b and c got updated.

@Eagle Pursuit How does this amount of activity compare to previous releases?

5. RohirrimElf

RohirrimElf Emperor

not so sure. Any marketing campaign would be overshadowed by Corona at this moment. I dont think this would be a great time to sell your product. Unless they are gathered en masse at the moment. Those products dont need an adverising campaign. Freezers, refrigurators, laptops etc. Webshops in my country cant handle the demand and are restricting non essential items (coolblue and bol.com). Dutch people are staying home and ordering online like crazy.

another civ expansion would take 3 months or so to reach us unless they are of smaller size (something unknown). Who knows the state of the economy by then in a couple of months. I am living below minimum wage. If my income or purchasing power would decline by 10% while currently spending 80% on essentials. I might still be very interested to pick up new civ content. But i dont think this goes well as a whole. While i would still buy everything civilization related. 5 other game updates would probably be delayed till i find it safe to invest in them. (Paradox/total war content/indie game like battle brothers etc). Essential expenses have a higher priority then video games. Can’t play games without a roof over your head, groceries, internet and electricity.

acluewithout likes this.
  6. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

Not really since they don't run on the same circles. It's not like you're getting adds for Civ VI on TV (maybe in the US?).

RohirrimElf and WillowBrook like this.
  7. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Nailed it!

Looks like the ltest branch has become smokec.

Edit: Not sure if this has been noted, but Runner is labeled as Windows OS, while Plaid has no OS designation.

Meluhhan, Inawordyes, Kjimmet and 2 others like this.
  8. Vandlys

Vandlys Prince

What people becoming unemployed, or losing parts of their wages? Is that a reason people would buy more?

I actually really thought about buying a new game (Planet Zoo) to release stress and just have a relaxing experience, but this morning our company said they are going to cut our work hours (and therefore wages) by 50-100%. So yeah, not the best time for me to buy a Civ Xpac : P

RohirrimElf likes this.
  9. Naktis

Naktis Warlord

As sad as it is with this virus situation in the world, many people are now staying at home, so releasing games and expansions is now a good time.

10. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Except a whole lot of people on wages have basically no income right now.

11. mitsho

mitsho Deity

They can just cut your salary like that? Wow, I‘m glad I live somewhere else. Nevertheless, that‘s a good reason to actually pull the release forward since you want it to be available as long as people still have money. There will be economic safety packages anyways, let‘s just hope that they will cover the simple worker as well.

But it‘s really frustrating having to have these small tidbits of information here only. I have refrained from posting since there were no news. But I‘m not sure these small smokeX updates are better...

12. Eagle Pursuit

Not salary, wages. People who get paid per hour of work. If they can't do the work because their place of employment has been forcibly closed, they don't get paid.

Kjimmet, bbbt and mitsho like this.
  13. mitsho

mitsho Deity

Ah right, a small difference in language I overread there. Still, there are provisions and rules even for those people around here. Freelancers however will be hit hard, even here. But I guess that‘s off topic.

679x likes this.
  14. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

There's two arguments which can be considered against that, though this is off the top of my head and I don't know how reasonable they are:

1. With the disruption of the stock market, I'm not sure to what extent it would be wise from a business perspective to withhold the release of new content, especially since we don't know how long this will last;

2. Due to the mandatory quarantine, a lot of people are currently working from home, and for those who are currently not working, it seems many governments are considering providing them with a basic income. This means that many people will find themselves with disposable income which would be spent elsewhere under normal circumstances: gas, night outs, bars, restaurants, cinema, tourism, etc, is all out the window for the time being. So this might turn out to be good business for Netflix and other digital services.

Netflix Seeing Usage Spikes in Coronavirus Hotspots
    Video Game Stocks Seen Benefiting From 'Social Distancing' Trend

Naktis, bbbt and Killer Rabbit like this.
  15. Killer Rabbit

Killer Rabbit Chieftain

I know you didn't direct this specifically at me, but I was never, not in a million years, trying to downplay the significance of the virus outbreak. I have relatives who are immunocompromised, who I'm very worried about, and I'm a recent PhD who is freelancing (not much right now, obviously) and looking for a permanent job. So I'm well aware of the danger and the disruption that we're dealing with. Like you, I obviously hope most of all that everyone (including all of you here) stays safe and lands on their feet.

That said, there is only so much time you can spend reading the news about this. I read stuff every day. We all know how bad it is, and we all know what we need to do (stay home). On an individual level, we can't do anything else. Are we just supposed to read the news and get depressed and anxious all day? Spending time getting more anxious just breeds more anxiety. Distractions are actually really important.

So I really don't see the harm in feeling that "hey, in the midst of this awful thing, which I'm powerless against, I'd love to hear some good news about my favorite video game." We all need a distraction. I even think that on a mental health level, while we're all isolated and lonely, that video games can perform an important social service to both distract us and help bring us together virtually.

I know that I'm incredibly excited about Doom Eternal and Animal Crossing on Friday. I can't think of anything better right now than blasting demons/building a lovely house in an animal village. Civ news would make me equally happy in this dark time.

16. King of Prussia

King of Prussia Warlord

Not everyone lives on a salary. Many get paid by the hour. They may not even have good benefits. Places where a lot of people gather can't really do business so the company has the choice of laying people off, working from home, or if you lucky, get paid while not working for a few weeks. Situation varies country by country, state by state, and company by company.

A game like civ could be largely made and tested from home if they set things up. If you work at a restaurant or theater, you may be out of a job. When this passes, odds are you may get your job back.

If you are still earning income or doing well financially then yes, this is a good time for a civ expansion/dlc. if you are not, then it wont be. I doubt they would release though until after this passes, so they can do proper meetings, discussion, and marketing from the office.

Eagle Pursuit likes this.
  17. Eagle Pursuit

People who are currently laid off and dependent on welfare or unemployment benefits are not going to be in a position to buy new entertainment options.

But yes, there's a bunch of other people stranded at home with money to burn, who would make for good customers.

Inawordyes, CPWimmer, Kjimmet and 5 others like this.
  18. bbbt

bbbt Deity

My most recent move I dumped my change into one of those Coinstar machines, and got a Steam credit ($63! of change) so I'm ready to buy it if I don't get something else first.

Ozymandias9891 likes this.
  19. James_Champagne

James_Champagne Warlord

I don't know about other people's financial situations but I'm sure at least SOME of us on here must have unused Steam gift cards from the last holiday season that we've been patiently sitting on...

CPWimmer likes this.
  20. slyone14

slyone14 Warlord

Raise hand! Me!! I have a nice $25 waiting to be used.

CPWimmer and James_Champagne like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.