1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Future Update?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Aussie_Lurker, Sep 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeppetto

Jeppetto King

Smoke updated

EDIT: looks like eagles carry messages faster than old toymakers

Kjimmet, Elhoim and RohirrimElf like this.
  2. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

yeah the new formula just isn't the same

nauberry, Kimiimaro, bite and 10 others like this.
  3. The googles do nothing

The googles do nothing King

Norway's Unique Ability: Thinking ahead. And pillaging. So much pillaging.

To clear up my foggy memory: These update to steam mean that something is coming eventully?

4. pokiehl

pokiehl Emperor

Well of course. Why else would they be doing these updates and testing?

RohirrimElf likes this.
  5. Gyrofalcon

Gyrofalcon Warlord

The real question is "What is coming"?
    Winter?

(for the release maybe...)

We have 4 branches of "smoke" and 4 branches for 2kqa... And 2 DLC depots (without content so far), and 10 achievements.
    A modest guess are 2 new civs or Leaders to existing civs, with scenarios... Hopefully. But after all this radio silence, cloak and dagger with the branches, etc I'm getting really sad if its only that.
    All this should at least be complete Worldbuilder, with complete modding tools (conflict tracker, file merger, troubleshooting tools, DLL's and so on), and a new Expansion to include what many misses from Civ 4 and/or 5.

6. Jeppetto

Jeppetto King

I'd guess 1 exppack and four DLCs so far

7. Ondolindë

Ondolindë Emperor

For those interested, the new Expansion Federations is 15% off on https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/stellaris-federations-pc/ and there rest of the DLC and many expansions and DLC are on sale there as well, at Steam, Fanatical and Indiegala.

Edit: On https://www.macgamestore.com/product/11505/Stellaris-Federations/ it is 23% off.
    Indiegala has also a massive discount for EU4

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    RohirrimElf likes this.
  8. Socrates-

Socrates- Warlord

Since it seems most players prefer singleplayer & the game is now available on so many different platforms I’d hope they’ll add a way for the entire Civ-playing community to have a go at the same game/scenario.

Think: Game of the Month on all platforms. Would be cool to have a kind of global hall of fame for this.

9. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

2kqa_d got a second update today, just like 2 days ago.

10. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

Slightly encouraging that PDX are still publishing stuff at the moment. My best guess is FXS like PDX will probably just stick to whatever marketing and release plan they already had, +/- a few weeks.

I’ve said it before, but it will be really disappointing to wait this long and have this much hype and then just get two small DLCs.

I think the game really could use another GS style expansion. The game and fanbase could probably support more smaller DLC after that focused on Leaders, Civs, Scenarios and small stuff.

I could also see a “mini” Expansion that’s just focused on mechanics, and maybe units, buildings etc, but doesn’t have any leaders or civs (or maybe just two leaders etc), and then having a DLC with two new Civs and a scenario. After that they could just keep releasing DLC Leader / Civ / Scenario packs (perhaps together with patches that tweak some mechanics). I’d be okay with that approach.

To be clear, there are some obvious areas where FXS seem to have left space for more mechanics. Given that, I do find it really hard to believe FXS would now just release Leaders and Civs etc.

First, Ideology and late game conflict is one area. It’s really hard to believe FXS won’t bring back Ideological pressure from Civ 5 when they’ve been so willing to bring back so many other key mechanics from previous versions of Civ and they pretty much have all the pieces they need for mechanics like that such as tourism, happiness, loyalty etc.. There also seems a lot of room to expand Governors (seems unlikely the only extra Governor they’d ever add was Ibrahim given he’s tied to one specific Civ) and Gov Plaza (although that did get a bit of an expansion with GS).

Second, Future Tech. I mean, seriously, they added a whole extra Era in Gathering Storm, and then basically did nothing with it except the GDR. I find it hard to believe the Future Era wasn’t specifically added to give them more room to add content. One of the designers also said they were working on a bunch of future units pre GS, but then flipped to just doing the GDR. I doubt they’d just throw away that work, and they have a lot of stuff and experience from Beyond Earth they could draw on.

Third, there’s also just a bunch of miscellaneous stuff that’s missing from previous games. Trebuchet (it’s in the RnF video), Medieval and Industrial Melee, Courts, Hospitals, and Police Stations. Just seems unlikely these wouldn’t find their way back into the game.

Anyway. Here’s hoping whatever is coming is worth the wait.

Hopefully something next week or the week after.

[edit: added some more thoughts.]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  11. Gyrofalcon

Gyrofalcon Warlord

I indeed wish for that you are right, acluewithout.
    And I hope they fix the bugs and glitches they left in the game after the 2 patches of 2019...

acluewithout likes this.
  12. mitsho

mitsho Deity

What takes the most time are the leader portraits, right? So them taking more time means we might get more new leaders? Maybe it‘s less artists, but they can employ them longer by giving them this „busy work“ while other projects are still in the early stages of development.

13. Gyrofalcon

Gyrofalcon Warlord

...and smokec got an update about an hour ago...

14. seancolorado

seancolorado Deity

I wonder how COVID-19 will affect sales for whatever is coming in. Will they be boosted because of many being in isolation, or worse because of the effects of the global economic slowdown?

Even though I haven't played Civ 6 in ages, I know I will be a day 1 buyer, because Civ is literally the only game I play (Humankind may change that), so I hope they deliver on something juicy. I am not even expecting anything huge like an expansion. I want more leaders first and foremost coupled with tweaks to refine current systems.

RohirrimElf likes this.
  15. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Idea Fountain

Imagine how awkward it would be if Firaxis DID have an xpac planned and pandemics were one of the mechanics they were planning to introduce.

I believe it would affect sales in a positive way, but it could also become a massive PR disaster if not handed well.

Assuming they were working on such a mechanic ofc...

RohirrimElf likes this.
  16. Eagle Pursuit

I'm thinking Smoke and Smoke A form a pair now while Smoke B and Smoke C form another pair.

Inawordyes, Kjimmet, Hawke9 and 2 others like this.
  17. Cerilis

Cerilis Stormrider

2 pairs and 2 depots, huh?

18. craney1987

craney1987 Warlord

What would pairs indicate do you think?

RohirrimElf likes this.
  19. Eagle Pursuit

I have no idea. It's just a pattern that is emerging.

20. UncivilizedGuy

UncivilizedGuy The Village Idiot

All they have to say is that this was in the works well before COVID-19 was in the news. I don’t see how pandemics can be an offensive mechanic. It’s not at the level of something like slavery or even terrorism.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.