[GS] Future Update?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Entertainment Complex. Can we call it a Fairground or something other than "Entertainment Complex"? (Yeah, JFD has a mod for that one too, I know...)
Yes, in fact, you can call it whatever you want. You open the game files and change the name.

I'm really enjoying reading everyone's wishlists and speculation :)

and I am absolutely, totally, 100% not just coming in here every day to see if there are any juicy SteamDB updates or potential expansion hints being talked about :mischief:

Agreed. Although, conversely, I'm a little worried I'm going to be totally gutted if we don't get both an amazing patch in November and a Third Expansion that does, you know, "all the things".

What sounds fun to people about earthquakes? At least fun enough to devote a lot of development time towards? Wouldn't other things be equally or more fun?

What sounds fun to people about earthquakes? At least fun enough to devote a lot of development time towards? Wouldn't other things be equally or more fun?

I agree - I'm really not understanding the appeal of earthquakes aesthetically or gameplay wise. I think they're just a well-known disaster that people are seeing as 'obvious' but surely there are more interesting things to implement.

Like in terms of disasters, wildfires or something would be far cooler IMO - they'd look way better than the screen shaking or adding some pre-rendered fault onto the map, and they have both logical bonuses and maluses - they may clear a forest tile or they could increase fertility.

I agree - I'm really not understanding the appeal of earthquakes aesthetically or gameplay wise. I think they're just a well-known disaster that people are seeing as 'obvious' but surely there are more interesting things to implement.

Like in terms of disasters, wildfires or something would be far cooler IMO - they'd look way better than the screen shaking or adding some pre-rendered fault onto the map, and they have both logical bonuses and maluses - they may clear a forest tile or they could increase fertility.

Personally, it's just aesthetics for me. Feels weird having volcanoes but not earthquakes. I mean, do many Cities actually get impacted by Volcanos? You know, other than Pompeii and in movies with Pierce Brosnan being not James Bond?

I'm not sure I feel the absence of forest fires the same way, just because we already have storms and hurricanes. I could see forest fires - my only concern is that it may create even more incentive to chop all the forest tiles, and that's not good.

Personally, it's just aesthetics for me. Feels weird having volcanoes but not earthquakes. I mean, do many Cities actually get impacted by Volcanos? You know, other than Pompeii and in movies with Pierce Brosnan being not James Bond?

I'm not sure I feel the absence of forest fires the same way, just because we already have storms and hurricanes. I could see forest fires - my only concern is that it may create even more incentive to chop all the forest tiles, and that's not good.

I don't know - I'm not seeing how volcanoes necessitate earthquakes even though some earthquakes are related to volcanoes. I also don't understand your point about how common volcanoes are; I am purely thinking of how nice something would be to look at and how it could be interesting for the game. I'm also unclear on your point about tornadoes and hurricanes precluding forest fires.

I'm not a min-maxer and I hardly ever chop but there are surely numerous ways to implement them without triggering abuse of the chopping mechanic.

I would also really love a catastrophic meteor or something that could hit and just wreck everything :D but I know that will never be implemented because serious players don't have the same taste for randomness that I do.

So it's an encampment.
Encampments boost production (better than industrial districts, which is dumb). Castles would add a minimal amount of culture and gold. All upgrades for castles should add housing, city defense, disease resistance (since XP3 will add diseases).
Motte and Bailey would be the "basic" district artwork
Upgrade: Moat [available at buttress] boosts defenses, adds disease resistance, adds cool water ring around castle on map.
Upgrade: Late Castles: boosts defenses, boosts disease resistances, cooler Late Renaissance castle on map.
Upgrade: Imperial Castle: boosts defenses, gives spy resistance, [adds trade capacity?] 16th-18th century bombard-resistant fortresses on map.

Encampments boost production (better than industrial districts, which is dumb). Castles would add a minimal amount of culture and gold. All upgrades for castles should add housing, city defense, disease resistance (since XP3 will add diseases).
Barracks and military academy adds housing, and city defense is already related to the city walls. You also get gold from citizens in the encampment. Why would a castle defend your city from disease?

Upgrade: Moat [available at buttress] boosts defenses, adds disease resistance, adds cool water ring around castle on map
Well adding a moat on the map is tempting.
Honestly instead of a district I like the idea earlier suggested about implementing it into the current fort improvement. You can upgrade it every era after the proper tech is researched with a military engineer.
Classical: Roman fort (Rome only)
Medieval: Motte and Bailey Castle
Renaissance: Bastion
Industrial: Polygonal or Industrial Fort
Modern: Steel and Concrete or Modern Fort

I'm a little worried I'm going to be totally gutted if we don't get both an amazing patch in November and a Third Expansion that does, you know, "all the things".
May I suggest a reading of Paul Watzlawick's "The Pursuit of Unhappiness"? :)

Having multiple upgrades to the fort means the fort either starts out pretty bad or ends up super-good. Would make more sense to just update the graphics at certain techs.
I think that would be fine. Just give it +x at certain techs, like what already happens with plenty of "regular" improvements.

Barracks and military academy adds housing, and city defense is already related to the city walls. You also get gold from citizens in the encampment. Why would a castle defend your city from disease?
The castle in this case is a separate district from the city. It would not increase CITY defense but the DISTRICT defense. It adds housing because, well, it has to be useful beyond +defense +blockpillage +ZOC. It adds disease defense because the ability to stockpile food and organize the locals, etc. It's a handwave, but it fits the mechanics and and makes this district a bridge until neighborhoods.

In the plague scenario I believe it was also meant to symbolize the nobility’s ability to “shut the gates” and keep all the disease-ridden riff-raff out until the plague had passed.

Honestly I don't see castles as their own unique district. Every single niche that has been mentioned is already filled or could be better filled by encampments.

Instead I would suggest to add them as some kind of fort rethink or maybe as an alternative building to armories in the encapment with different bonuses/effects and graphics. If not even as a whole unique encampment replacement of some new brand civ.

It would be nice if forts worked like beyond earth's settlements, in the renaissance/industrial age they should be able to grab land outside of your territory and eventually grow into settlements if on other continents.
At the least make them outposts that you can use to grab resources far away. A la Portuguese feitoria or colonial forts in the americas.

At the least make them outposts that you can use to grab resources far away. A la Portuguese feitoria or colonial forts in the americas.

This.So.Much.

For balance, a city has priority over it, so if a foreign power plants a city, it will grab the territory.

I'll like to see a historic castle as a Wonder that could also bombard and play an active role in city defense, maybe automatically builds medieval walls for the city + castle. Just a thought! :)

For me its the appeal of even more dynamic maps. Earthquakes might not just make maps more "Productive", the biggest ones could even change the tile(s) themselves. The ability for an Earthquake to potentially unearth new resources could also make the game more dynamic. That devastating Earthquake that destroyed half of your city's population also just happened to unearth a new deposit of silver & gems.

For me its the appeal of even more dynamic maps. Earthquakes might not just make maps more "Productive", the biggest ones could even change the tile(s) themselves. The ability for an Earthquake to potentially unearth new resources could also make the game more dynamic. That devastating Earthquake that destroyed half of your city's population also just happened to unearth a new deposit of silver & gems.

If we ever get an XP3 it should DEFINITELY re-work how resources work, making them more dynamic and giving reasons to expand, control and lose/produce them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom