Galleas

Following this logic any ingame civilization would have to decommission every ship build prior to industrial age ships, since not a single sail/oar propelled vessel was rebuild into a destroyer/cruiser/whatever in real life.

Following that logic, yes that would be the case.

They can always be kept around. The U.S. Navy still has some sail powered frigates commissioned, although they obviously never see action. They stay in Ports and serve as museum ships to bring in some extra revenue.

Have them upgraded into "Museum ships", that, that when in a city, has an option to build a "building". much like Great Scientist/Great General. The building it produces could provide some culture/gold (tourism/history) Not much, obviously, but some.

The U.S.S. Constitution in Boston is an example of that, much like the U.S.S. Nautilus in Groton, CT or the U.S.S. Massachusetts in Fall River, MA

I mean obviously Civ is a game and historical accuracy will never be reached. I think though there is big difference between upgrading
1. An Ocean Going Warship in the Industrial age to a stronger Modern Age version with the same abilities.
and
2. An Ancient warship powered by oars, incapable of entering oceans to the first ship capable of circumnavigating the globe which is powered by sail.

I suggest you think of upgrading a ship as building a new class of ship with a similar 'name' as previous existing ships, just like there are no doubt lots of ships in current US navy with a name which was in use earlier on. ;)

Yeah, some old ships get the honor of being a museum ship, but the the most ships were wreacked or sold. I would like to get some gold or hammers when I disband a ship.

Nice one. But would be cool to have an early ship that has catapult, ballista or even trebuchet (and not cannons) :).

Has anyone else had trouble getting animations to work with this ship? Roland says it has them, and there are a lot of .kf files in the download, and yes I'm telling it to use galley.kfm, but no luck. I double-checked with the European Middle Ages mod and my ArtDef entry is identical... Let me know if I'm missing something.

You must be, it works great for me. Are you sure you are using the right galley.kfm? The one included is different.

There is no .kfm file included in the download, just a bunch of .kf files. I assumed one could override vanilla .kf files individually without a new .kfm but I could easily be wrong. And yeah I've been using this unit for a while but I didn't notice it wasn't getting the anims it was supposed to til now.

There is no .kfm file included in the download, just a bunch of .kf files.

I've had problems with this as well and wondered why there was no .kfm included in the .zip.

Can anyone please provide a solution? I love this ship and would like to use it with proper animations.

That is really funny, there was one in my download...

Are you guys sure?

I just downloaded this file today (Aug 5th)... there's no KFM file in my download either.

A KFM would definately be nice! :goodjob:

Ok, after being asked by LunarMongoose I am uploading the KFM I got in the download. It is weird why the rest of you didn't get it..

Attachments

• galleas.zip
    631 bytes · Views: 83
Well, much as I wish I could report it works, it crashes with the usual "unidentifiable C++ exception" when I try that file. Grr... Oh well thanks anyway Matt. Wish I knew what was going on. :)

Hmm, that is funny. Roland, did you upload a new version with different animations? That might be the problem, and the reason I have a Kfm and you guys don't.

Well, in fact, you can use the vanilla galley kfm, you just have to be sure that the galleys kf files are the ones included in the zip

So you need in the SAME folder (vanilla kfm, kf included, models included, textures included)

Top Bottom