Game of Thrones, season 6

When did LF have to travers the twins?
As for Brienne there are other places one can cross the Trident. Perhaps not for an army but at least for a single person.

Travel in general in the show is just better if you ignore it and suspend disbelief. For example according to the map iron islands is on the opposite side of the continent from dreadfort yet yara sails all the way around the south of westeros to reach the dreadfort, something like a 4000 mile journey, or like sailing from nyc to california by going around all the way south through the panama canal. It's not totally out of the question but the time frame is weird and they sail it like it's not big deal.

When nobles die for other nobles it's usually the vassal that dies. Jojen Reed died for a Stark, Ned was already Warden of the North and had nobody but the king above him during the fight at the Tower of Joy, and when Ned died he died for King Stannis.
So, yeah, it's still the people of relatively lower rank that have to bite it.

Oh, and I want to remind people that Bran is young.
Let the one who wasn't a useless douche as a teenager throw the first stone.

Oh, and I want to remind people that Bran is young.
Let the one who wasn't a useless douche as a teenager throw the first stone.
That's kind of my point. He's a male teenager, and male teenagers are usually douchebags.

Congratulations, you disagree with me on the subject of nomenclature. We agree on why he sucks; I think it makes him a douchebag and you think it doesn't make him a douchebag. Fantastic. Apparently that's all that needs to be discussed.
I don't see how accidentally doing something you had no way could end up badly for others would make one a douchebag, but hey, if you're so desperate to find pretexts to look down on a fictional character, be my guest.
You'd expect that to happen, but given how the showrunners have handled their original material so far here's how that scene will go down...

Bran "Oh no, what have I done! What did I do to poor Hodor! I'm so sorry!"
Meet "Snap out of it Bran! We need to escape from the White Walkers!"
Bran "You're right, lets go"

And Hodor was never thought of again...
That's a pretty unjust accusation. If anything, remembering past characters who have been killed is one of the element that has been the most consistent in the entire serie.

Well, there's just too much going on. Some things will have to be off-screen if there's no majo character nearby.

True, but something that amounts to an highly successful Robb-loyalists insurgency should merit at least some mention by the Lannister-Tyrell government, especially since this is really bad for their Frey middle management.

They don't need to. The Twins guard a crossing from north-east to south-west. Robb needed to cross thee to get to Riverrun and the Lannister lands, but if you go from the Vale to the North you just have to follow the Kingsroad to Moat Cailin. There's no river to cross. Getting south should not be a problem for Brienne or a small group. There's probably more than one bridge over the trident. Getting back with an army will be problematic.
The question is, what will Littlefinger do ? His Aeryn army is in Moat Cailin which belongs to the Reeds, and they're so loyal to the Starks that it's questionable if they'll let him through unless Sansa tells them it's OK.

I was more thinking passing through Frey lands, but since the Freys & LF have no reason to be cross atm point withdrawn.

Hey, man, this is the same episode where Sansa called Littlefinger out on his BS. Sometimes they acknowledge this stuff in a way that doesn't suck.

A broken watch is right twice a day, doesn't mean its not broke.

So you want him to cry and wait for the White Walkers to slaughter them? The guy is in survival mode right now. He hasn't even had the time to mourn the loss of his father, his mother, his brother, his home at Winterfell...

I know its "not the time", but I was talking about the shows general lack of handling "learning moments" well.

Didn't the old tree person (in past season) say to Bran that he will fly? (you'll never walk again but your will fly etc). Maybe the girl dies next ep, and Bran wargs into a hawk or whatever, just like that wildling did just before he was actually killed by Jon Snow.

At any rate, Hodor is now a zombie in the WW army. His pain is far from being over. But it was worth it, cause littlefolk only have one purpose in life :yup:

I don't know, but I feel that the role of Max von Sydow wasn't explained in its entirety still. I don't know if i missed something ( and i probably did ), but ... what was he trying to do with Bran? I think he wanted Bran to take his place in that tree-thing, but why? and How? And what was he doing there actually ? Pulling strings ?

Didn't the old tree person (in past season) say to Bran that he will fly? (you'll never walk again but your will fly etc). Maybe the girl dies next ep, and Bran wargs into a hawk or whatever, just like that wildling did just before he was actually killed by Jon Snow.

At any rate, Hodor is now a zombie in the WW army. His pain is far from being over. But it was worth it, cause littlefolk only have one purpose in life :yup:

Yeah, he said Bran would fly...I think it was more related to him warging into Danny's dragons or something...
My money is on Uncle Benjen coming back and saving both Bran and the girl next episode.

I don't know, but I feel that the role of Max von Sydow wasn't explained in its entirety still. I don't know if i missed something ( and i probably did ), but ... what was he trying to do with Bran? I think he wanted Bran to take his place in that tree-thing, but why? and How? And what was he doing there actually ? Pulling strings ?

One of the problems is that she show completly changed him from his book character so there's nothing to fall back on for him.

In the books his name is Brynden Rivers, nickname Bloodraven (three-eyed raven explanation). He was the bastard son of a pretty bad Targaryen king and a lady from House Blackwood ( Riverlands house who retain First Men identity & Old Gods worship). Bloodraven was really important to political events in Westeros 100+ years before the show and went to the wall with Maester Aemon back in the day. He went missing in the North, Benjen Stark style, and somehow became fused with a heart tree.

In his day Bloodraven was considered a wizard who had the power to see in the future and could spy on people through the eyes of birds, implying that he was a greenseer & warg like Bran

In the show he's just a mysterious 2000 year old tree man who takes Bran on pointless field trips and gets killed before explaining ANYTHING to Bran or the audience.

that's also the Three-eyed Raven's fault for not fully explaining the consequences of time-traveling...
First obvious conversation between the three-eye two-eyed and Brennan: "Don't ever trance travel without my guidance. It is dangerous in more ways then, for the time being, you can understand. For instance, should, even in your trance trips, a white walker touch you, they can track you and enter this tree and they will probably kill us all and doom the world.
Got it?!"
But I guess in his old lonely days he got too much of a self-importance high from being such a mystery person. You can't just outright state such things - where is the fun in that?

First obvious conversation between the three-eye two-eyed and Brennan: "Don't ever trance travel without my guidance. It is dangerous in more ways then, for the time being, you can understand. For instance, should, even in your trance trips, a white walker touch you, they can track you and enter this tree and they will probably kill us all and doom the world.
Got it?!"
But I guess in his old lonely days he got too much of a self-importance high from being such a mystery person. You can't just outright state such things - where is the fun in that?

I'm not too concerned about it, I understand that for obvious time and budget constraints the show cannot go into so much details like the books. It's only a few of the gripes I have with what has been in my opinion a great season so far...

One of the problems is that she show completly changed him from his book character so there's nothing to fall back on for him.

In the books his name is Brynden Rivers, nickname Bloodraven (three-eyed raven explanation). He was the bastard son of a pretty bad Targaryen king and a lady from House Blackwood ( Riverlands house who retain First Men identity & Old Gods worship). Bloodraven was really important to political events in Westeros 100+ years before the show and went to the wall with Maester Aemon back in the day. He went missing in the North, Benjen Stark style, and somehow became fused with a heart tree.

In his day Bloodraven was considered a wizard who had the power to see in the future and could spy on people through the eyes of birds, implying that he was a greenseer & warg like Bran

In the show he's just a mysterious 2000 year old tree man who takes Bran on pointless field trips and gets killed before explaining ANYTHING to Bran or the audience.

He still could be Brynden Rivers in the show, it's just that this is not yet explained or not explained at all for budget reasons...According to the books, he was teaching Bran about greensight and skinchanging, but in the show, he clearly ran out of time because of Bran's shenanigans...Perhaps we would get some better explanation later, in a flashback or something...

I don't see how accidentally doing something you had no way could end up badly for others would make one a douchebag, but hey, if you're so desperate to find pretexts to look down on a fictional character, be my guest.
And you're desperate to pick fights with other people on the forum by explaining how they should feel about fictional characters. Cut it out.
I see Bran as more of just a stupid teen playing with things he doesn't understand and screwing up badly as kids are want to do.
Sure, but when I was a stupid teen screwing up badly I didn't get a bunch of people killed.
Bran is actually Tobias from Animorphs.

And you're desperate to pick fights with other people on the forum by explaining how they should feel about fictional characters. Cut it out.
Wow, talk about irony.

I love the books because of the additional backstory and universe building we get vs. the show. But this is the type of additional exposition you just have to cut for a TV series. It sucks, but I get why they didn't bother to lay this out for us. There are so many characters on the show to follow as it is, they don't have time to explain the history of a character who is going to last three or four episodes.

I love the books because of the additional backstory and universe building we get vs. the show. But this is the type of additional exposition you just have to cut for a TV series. It sucks, but I get why they didn't bother to lay this out for us. There are so many characters on the show to follow as it is, they don't have time to explain the history of a character who is going to last three or four episodes.

Hear hear. No truer words were ever spoken. I completely agree.

It is fine that they have to cut back-story. But in the case of the tree-man, the show hasn't explained crap. As in, not even most basic stuff. One doesn't really know what is even happening. There is literally very little more than "mysterious magic person helping special kid fulfill important destiny". Why should Brennan be so important? How does the tree man know this? What is the freaking plan / point of it all?

I personally just think they should have extended the series. There's enough stuff for the series to be twice as long.

EDIT Each season could be the same # of episodes. We could just have used more seasons. Also I immediately realized that twice as long is probably way too optimistic?

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing that the three-eyed raven or any minor character should get a major expose on their background. There's no need or time for that.

My point is that if the show's not going to go into major detail on a character who's also in the books, then they shouldn't make subtle changes (that don't matter) that makes the show & book character incompatible. I.e. if you wanna know more about character X, go check the books but we're moving on.

The show saying that the three-eyed raven is a couple thousand years old removes any connection from his book counterpart, thus removing a useful frame of refrence and making the show character a confusing mess of unfulfilled potential.

Have you people noticed that the opening sequence of the series hints at the things taking place in a hollow Earth? (Or any hollow planet for that matter). The only thing that's visible behind the sun is their earth, and it curves up, not down.

Perhaps it's just how the maesters of the Westeros interpret their universe though.

Top Bottom