Game Pace - your first game?

Which pace are you going to use in your first game?

• Marathon

Votes: 63 21.9%
  • Epic

Votes: 53 18.4%
  • Normal

Votes: 163 56.6%
  • Quick

Votes: 8 2.8%
  • Don't care / random

Votes: 1 0.3%

• Total voters
Can you give me some examples of why marathon is the best? Other than less obsolete units.
I want to try it out, but I could need some persuasion :D

My first shall be on normal since it is a new game and normal is the supposed intended speed of it. After that i'll probably bump it up to epic and marathon and settle on one of those (unless normal really surprises me somehow); also lets me get a feel for the techs and such faster.

Can you give me some examples of why marathon is the best? Other than less obsolete units.
I want to try it out, but I could need some persuasion :D

On slower game speeds you get a somewhat new experience of gameplay.

Your cities can't produce new units as fast when your scouts report an army marching towards you. You can spend more "real time" with your units before you need to upgrade them, more turns.
Colonization is "easier" on slower speeds as the time the settlers and units need to travel to the new lands is shorter in terms of technological and production advance.
On faster speeds it can happen, that you send a settler with an archer out to colonize a new continent, but when they finally arrive you already are able to build musketeers or even infantry ;)

All in all, a slower gamespeed makes unit movement "faster"... as each turn won't grant as much production and science as on faster game pace.

it will be interesting to see what the votes are on a new poll in 3 months time ... i can see only my first game (or 2) being on normal speed

first 1-2 games on normal, just to get a feel for the basics, then right back to marathon as always

I will play it on normal so I can get a feel for the game the way it is "intended." I don't think I ever got far on Epic in Civ 4. I just don't have the attention span for it and like to finish a game in one sitting.
With how much I've been playing Revolution lately, Normal might even be too long for my tastes.
On the other hand, combat looks more interesting, so I may not get bored quite so easily on the longer settings.
But I'll definitely start on normal anyway.

Marathon. I might look for a longer duration mod in a few months. I love the epic feel a long game provides ( and wish that when they patched in marathon speed for IV they had kept the name Epic for the slowest speed)

Epic, I would play Marathon, but I want to get a hang of the game first before I make such a commitment ;)

Normal, just to get a feel for everything. Definitely trying out Marathon though. I hate going from the Ancient Era to Modern in two seconds.

Marathon all the way baby. I want the first game to be of epic of proportions (most likely an epic defeat :p).

My first game will be with all the default settings so that will be "normal". It'll be a good chance to get through all the different eras relatively quickly. I usually play on marathon.

normal at first to see how everything works, then epic. I'm one of those Gotm'ers who usually skipped a month if it was on normal speed

never got into marathon: whenever your first warrior/scout got eaten by a lion you'd be spending the next 20-40 turns just clicking end turn

I'm a long time Marathon player. But as some have put, I'll go normal for my first run.

Epic. Then probably marathon in a few days. On normal you truly dont get 'into the game'. Eras go by too fast, atleast CIV IV did.

Epic to start. While I loved the concept of marathon, it always seemed that once a civ had a military edge, there was no way to slow them down and prevent them from crushing everything. At least on epic, you can still build units BEFORE they take everything.

Top Bottom