[RD] Games as a Service

I miss digging through bargain bins.

Dang you’re old, and yet you’ve forgotten the rapidly shrinking PC shelf space in favour of being console game pawn shops. Steam was not inevitable, it just looks it on account of how hard the competition was scoring repeated own goals.

Dang you’re old, and yet you’ve forgotten the rapidly shrinking PC shelf space in favour of being console game pawn shops. Steam was not inevitable, it just looks it on account of how hard the competition was scoring repeated own goals.

Steam was not inevitable, it was just marketed really well using a program built on deceit aimed in every direction. Publishers were fed a line about piracy costing them bazillions of dollars, gamers were sold a line about Steam, which Valve originally acknowledged was their solution to "the piracy that would otherwise prevent us from making more games" not really being DRM after all...and throw in that Valve then went so fully into the DRM business that...hey, guess what, almost twenty years and no Half-Life 3 anyway.

The entire thing was a scam, from soup to nuts, and the way gamers kiss Valve's puckered ass for it turns my stomach.

Yeah, EA and Activision make that forgone. People are actually going to vote for Joe Biden in a year he turn'd out Sanders, so it's not like it's a unique situation.

Steam was not inevitable, it was just marketed really well using a program built on deceit aimed in every direction. Publishers were fed a line about piracy costing them bazillions of dollars, gamers were sold a line about Steam, which Valve originally acknowledged was their solution to "the piracy that would otherwise prevent us from making more games" not really being DRM after all...and throw in that Valve then went so fully into the DRM business that...hey, guess what, almost twenty years and no Half-Life 3 anyway.

The entire thing was a scam, from soup to nuts, and the way gamers kiss Valve's puckered ass for it turns my stomach.

Yeah man. Steams a scam, so is Amazon, and so is the American dream. Hell, let’s just unironically add residential property rental to the list. It’s scams all the way down, but this one is cheap, convenient and easy. At worst it killed the guys who killed mom and pop stores. Big whoop.

One of my friends just got on steam for the first time this year. His internet is horsehocky because he doesn't live in a nicely heeled town. Acquiring games is a three day process if they aren't small. We're at like Albion Online sort of level. I'm freshly irritated at it again, and I don't particularly hate steam. It's just somewhat less horsehockey than it will inevitably become. Like Blizzack, biding its whorish time.

One of my friends just got on steam for the first time this year. His internet is **** because he doesn't live in a nicely heeled town. Acquiring games is a three day process if they aren't small. We're at like Albion Online sort of level. I'm freshly irritated at it again, and I don't particularly hate steam. It's just somewhat less ****** than it will inevitably become. Like Blizzack, biding its whorish time.

GoG. At least with GoG he could visit friends in a more advanced civilization and download installers to a thumb drive. My son has junk internet and accesses his GoG account on my wireless with his laptop all the time when he visits.

No, given the quality of the cookies in his house, he definitely steps backwards the farther north he gets and closer to Chicago and the national coast-to-coast news. ;)

I mean, they're Baptist and Baptists are weird, but he's chill enough to think the snake handlers and dumb but hurting themselves. The wear-a-seatbelt-or-we'll-wreck-you crowd is way the **** horsehockytier people in totality.

No, given the quality of the cookies in his house, he definitely steps backwards the farther north he gets and closer to Chicago and the national coast-to-coast news. ;)

I mean, they're Baptist and Baptists are weird, but he's chill enough to think the snake handlers and dumb but hurting themselves. The wear-a-seatbelt-or-we'll-wreck-you crowd is way the **** ****tier people in totality.

I'm not sure how that translates, but I'm sure who have a solid read on the situation. Good luck to dude.

Advanced civilizations might just be advancing new forms of hell with a lot of their free time, I suppose?

They certainly seem to have lost something when it comes to cookies. Being relatively chill, too. But zeitgiests differ, not to be ironical too much with the term.

Edit: Holy horsehocky, "turned out" has shifted in meaning if urban dictionary is right. I meant "turned out" as in "sent to pasture" as in "to stud after being too old to work." On a side note, I am really tired of all my phrases showing us as (archaic) in online dictionaries. Argh. So over it.

Last edited:
When I said "visit a more advanced civilization" I was referring strictly to internet speeds and meant no offense. Though I do mock my son unmercifully as he slides further and further into "gone country." Now he's eating squirrels.

Any good at cooking them?

Not offended, btw. :) Just more than happy to respond to "better internet speeds? The shift from physical media to steam while losing the cookies? Probably not worth it."

Any good at cooking them?

Not offended, btw. :) Just more than happy to respond to "better internet speeds? The shift from physical media to steam while losing the cookies? Probably not worth it."

Well, I didn't like the switch to Steam no matter how the cookies turned out, so...

As to the squirrels...he's a pretty good cook so I'd guess yeah. He called me a couple weeks back all revved up. "You know how you see those western movies and the guys are sitting around the campfire roasting squirrels on sticks and you're supposed to be like 'these guys are barely makin' it almost starving stuck eating squirrels'? It's a lie, squirrel is really really good. Those guys are livin' large." All I could do is go along. Currently he is in one squirrel at a time mode, but he plans to put out traps so he can get a bunch at once so I can come out and eat squirrels with him. Looking forward to that.

Hehehe. Yeah, the worst part of the squirrelicide that was clearing some of the invasive grey ones out of my soffit was that I kept getting one a day and nobody wanted to clean them, I had the flu and didn't want to learn. Those things are good. Just nobody likes cleaning one at a time unless they're go getting.

Hehehe. Yeah, the worst part of the squirrelicide that was clearing some of the invasive grey ones out of my soffit was that I kept getting one a day and nobody wanted to clean them, I had the flu and didn't want to learn. Those things are good. Just nobody likes cleaning one at a time unless they're go getting.

Yeah, the boy is a go getter. The squirrels are a worthy opponent though. They figured out right smartly that when his door opens it is time to be underground. Something about scattering skin and entrails across their extensively burrowed out hillside for the crows a few times apparently got their attention.

Substitute squirrels.

The ones in town are nothing like the ones that aren't acclimated to humans. If you walk through a forested area not often traveled, they fall silent way waaaaaay faster than you do unless stalking for purpose. I mean, we had a shaved one that still ate from people in school. It was almost boggling, lol.

I probably would have found the whole thing a lot less traumatizing if I hadn't had to give up and trap them, then cull them, in order to be legal. Shooting something wild in a cage is just sort of destructive. I realize it isn't cleaner, but it feels cleaner to make them backstroke out of the blue. They coyote litter out back did well though, if the den holes are evidence. Sorta wish it had been foxes tho.

The ones in town are nothing like the ones that aren't acclimated to humans. If you walk through a forested area not often traveled, they fall silent way waaaaaay faster than you do unless stalking for purpose. I mean, we had a shaved one that still ate from people in school. It was almost boggling, lol.

I probably would have found the whole thing a lot less traumatizing if I hadn't had to give up and trap them, then cull them, in order to be legal. Shooting something wild in a cage is just sort of destructive. I realize it isn't cleaner, but it feels cleaner to make them backstroke out of the blue. They coyote litter out back did well though, if the den holes are evidence. Sorta wish it had been foxes tho.

He bought a house in a rural area that had been on the market vacant for almost a year. The hillside below the house is steep undeveloped and is basically a metropolis of cliff dwelling ground squirrels. When he moved in and started bringing the landscaping around the house back to life it created a food and water driven population explosion. At first they were practically waving at him as they trooped into the yard, but they have caught on. The big concern really is that there are so many of them that they might be destabilizing the hillside.

I am very confused on how this conversation turned into one about ground squirrels.

:wavey:, Aimee!

Top Bottom