Gary's Poser Unit Creation Thread and Workshop

Part of the point of having civ-colour even for these civ-specific units is that not everyone can recognise the nationality of all these uniforms.

Right. I feel much more comfortable with doing civ colored units. I think it helps the average player more and makes a unit more versatile to use.

Unfortunately in many cases it will come down to something like an arm-band when there is no backpack or something else to make civ color.

Right. I feel much more comfortable with doing civ colored units. I think it helps the average player more and makes a unit more versatile to use.

Unfortunately in many cases it will come down to something like an arm-band when there is no backpack or something else to make civ color.
There's always a compromise. Finding what works for you personally and what, at the same time, best serves the average player is probably the ideal way for any of us to make creative decisions.

To put a final coda on the Civ coloring issue, below are 4 of Sandris' fine Napoleonic infantrymen. Which one is French?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 118
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 49
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 75
To put a final coda on the Civ coloring issue, below are 4 of Sandris' fine Napoleonic infantrymen. Which one is French?

If these were WW2 units I could possibly tell you which was which but I know next to nothing about Napoleonic uniforms. I have no idea which is French but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't want to play someone's mod on the Napoleonic wars just because I don't know which uniform is which. You make the point very well, Oz. This is exactly why I think Civ color is a good thing even for unique units.

Not only that but what if I am a mod maker and I just want to use a single musket unit for all my civs for the period of the early 1800s. Then I would need the Civ color to differentiate. Civ color makes a unit more versatile for more mods. Those are my thoughts on the matter.

Very easy, the last one on the right.

From left to right: Prussian line infantry, Spanish line infantry, Portuguese line infantry, French line infantry.

You shouldn't use such an obvious example to prove your point.

You shouldn't use such an obvious example to prove your point.
It is you who miss the point entirely, Steph. It is only obvious to a select few.
I have no idea which is French but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't want to play someone's mod on the Napoleonic wars just because I don't know which uniform is which. You make the point very well, Oz. This is exactly why I think Civ color is a good thing even for unique units.
QFT:
... Civ color makes a unit more versatile for more mods.

It is you who miss the point entirely, Steph. It is only obvious to a select few.
Well, it seems my sense of humour is also obvious only to a select few. :(

Well, it seems my sense of humour is also obvious only to a select few. :(
Yeah, postmodern irony is pretty difficult to convey without the meat puppet interface. I would have chosen number four as well, by the way. But then I was obsessed with Napoleon, until I discovered girls. Then it was all about the Du Lacs.

I think Oz and BM have perfectly captured the logical path for civ coloring.

Personally, I think that even a little tag of color can make a big difference.

I know ATF brought up the color discs, but they are awfully crude compared to the quality animations and static graphics that our modders here have crafted.

Ah yes, design by committee. I think everyone knows how I feel about that.

Gary, just stop listening to us bunch of girls and just do your own thing. I know it will be alright!

:)

Top Bottom