Gary's Poser Unit Creation Thread and Workshop

So I spent the past couple hours playing Civ III to calm my nerves. :lol:

It's not calming when the computer cheats.

The farmhand looks fantastic. Great work.:goodjob:

Wow, that farmhand is top notch work. It's amazing to see it evolve.
Building on what the others said, the change in quality of animation from the first set to the last set is amazing. It is that kind of detail that really makes a top-quality unit. Just a few changes and you go from Jethro the slacker to Jethro: Farmhand Zombie Slayer!

Seriously, I am not trying to be TOO Particular... I know you want true opinions and I am just offering that :)

Hi Greg, it's not anything against you. I just get frustrated with having to redo stuff. I realize you have valid points and I wouldn't be making the corrections if I didn't think you had valid points.

I just can't help getting frustrated. It's probably more against Poser than anything else. Stuff like when I add a pose from my library and suddenly every frame in between that one and the last pose I added gets thrown off by just enough to notice so I have to go back and tweak every frame. Then sometimes when I tweak a body part in one frame Poser re-translates the movements of the body part in the preceeding frames. :crazyeye:

On the bright side I've learned a couple tricks to help me out now. Especially on attack animations where there is a lot of movement throughout the animation I now apply one pose at a time so as not to throw too much information at Poser at one time and save all the movements to my library until I have 15 key frames. As I tweak a frame I add it to the pose library before going on to tweak the next one. That way I don't need to back track after adjusting following frames. :cool:

Gary... Yes, Poser can be quite frustrating sometimes and every unit and model have their own particular set of problems as well.

To prevent Frames from changing, Set each Frame with Spline Section and Break Spline. before adding your Pose from the Library.
This Frame will be Green with a Diagonal Line through it.

Hi Gary, I was wondering if you could need some Mosin Nagant sounds? I don't know if you planned another Russian Infantryman, or partisan / VC rifleman or whatnot, so I just ask. I can probably dig out some more sounds if you need them.

Thanks Ares. It'll probably be a while before I get around to Russian riflemen. Unfortunately I don't have a Mosin Nagant though. Of course at Civ scale just about any bolt rifle could double as one. :)

I've decided to take my previews back to my WIP thread instead of continuing with them in the unit thread.

Here are three units I've been working on for my "Bolt-action rifleman of the world" series. No animations yet, just previews. From left to right: Chinese rifleman 1937, Japanese rifleman 1937, Polish rifleman 1939, Soviet rifleman I, Soviet rifleman II, Soviet rifleman 1940.

What do people think of these units? Do I need to make any adjustments?

I personnally like them, atlhough a blue/grey for China may be interesting (and bring some variety). You should try to have an AttackB with a bayonet for them.

Important for Japanese and Russian, who often use charge and close combat.

And suggestion : a Russian marine would be nice

Where are you basing the Polish soldier's uniform color on? Modern dress uniforms?
It should be much darker. That looks more like the russian summer uniform.

Russian uniforms:

more uniform parts

Attachments

• r20033.jpg
    r20033.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 156
  • amundur2.jpg
    amundur2.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 94
  • 001polpiech394hh.jpg
    001polpiech394hh.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 122
The Japanese is pretty large compared to the others. I wouldn't mind him being smaller than the Europeans, same with the Chinese. Is there any possibility to make their faces look more Asian in the civpedia pics?

Other than that (and what Wyrm said), nice work. :)

Where are you basing the Polish soldier's uniform color on? Modern dress uniforms?
It should be much darker. That looks more like the russian summer uniform.

Russian uniforms:

more uniform parts

Thanks for the Russian uniform references! :goodjob:

I took a couple colors off your pic of the Polish rifleman and came up with the following:

How do these look? Which one is better the one on the right, middle or the left? The middle is a shade darker than the left, and the right is a little browner.

the left one.

Nice Gary but it seems to me, Your Russian units would be more realistric with two typical details - overcoat roll (skatka) and field bag (veshmeshok or sydor) like this:

Also Japanese helmet was more faded-yellow. This is tipycal too.

Top Bottom