General A New Dawn discussion

Speaking of the AI do any of the difficulty settings actually make it smarter and not just cheat by piling up bonuses?

Speaking of the AI do any of the difficulty settings actually make it smarter and not just cheat by piling up bonuses?

It's just bonus/penalty. Making it smarter requires too much additional coding, not worth the effort.

I am mainly asking because in some other thread someone said that at X difficulty the AI reacts this way or that way differently than on Y difficulty. But yea, I had my doubts.

I am mainly asking because in some other thread someone said that at X difficulty the AI reacts this way or that way differently than on Y difficulty. But yea, I had my doubts.

Well, technically it might happen but this is more an accidental side effect. It might depend on different priorities given by AI to produce a building or a unit, based on already produced buildings or units and since production times are affected by handicap... So, yes, handicap might influence AI strategies. But there's no guarantee that those are smarter strategies for harder (for humans) level or dumber strategies for easier levels. It might happen, but it might happen the opposite as well.

I give up.............no matter how many times I play this game, I keep losing money. Despotism, Republic, Monarchy, Senate, Nobility, Bureaucracy, Proletariat, Feudal, Bourgeois..........no mater what I do, I keep [snip] losing money every turn, until the Civ goes on strike and [snip] ends up disappearing. Obviously, I have no clue what I'm doing, but quite frankly, the game has to be easier - especially when I play at Settler level. I've had it with this game................

Moderator Action: Swearing is not acceptable on CFC. Please do not use bad language, even when you are frustrated. ~ Arakhor
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator:
Open a new thread and send us some savegames. Ill be glad to play some turns, analyze, and give you some advices.

Odds are he is spreading out way too much. I noticed this in the last game I played with the really bad start position. Basically, the penalties to happiness and maintenance from distance to capital are massive in this mod. So much so that a moderately spread out city layout of the sort that is completely normal in regular BTS is just impossible to pull off in the early game. I've literally had the situation of having 50% of my cities founded and instantly in the red.

It's not something you can't work around once you know what's happening. So it's not bad, just different. But it definitively something that you have to get used to and that, in my view at least, is not really documented well enough.

Odds are he is spreading out way too much.

I concur. You need to build up before you build out. Your older cities will need to float your new ones until they get up and running.

I typically stay behind the AI civs in city count until late Classical. At even at Noble/Prince difficulty, they will spam cities pretty quickly toward late Ancient or early Classical. Usually ends up with the AI at about 6-8 before I can get my 4th settled.

You will almost always be behind in the Ancient Era (apparently the AI is heavily buffed during this period). Don't sweat it too much. Build your core to pay for expansion. And if the AI gets in the way, build an army and remove them from existence.

Does the file CIV4EraInfos.xml affect all games, or just games started in a particular era?

The reason I'm asking is because if the era infos file does affect all games, I think we should turn off <bNoAnimals> for the Classical Era. Normally, animals stop appearing after the Ancient. This would make the hunting mechanic last a little longer. I find I always have to rush the Classical Era to get Athletics and Hellenism, or else I can't get a religion.

I find I always have to rush the Classical Era to get Athletics and Hellenism, or else I can't get a religion.

I sometimes can't even get a Classical Era religion. I've made mention of this elsewhere, but I typically aim for Asatru because the AI typically goes down the Theology/Holy War path instead of Rudder in the early Medieval.

But yeah, it would be useful to have animals past ancient in large maps with a low # of civs or Old World/New World maps. I'd be okay with this.

Bah, Religion Smeligion. I just TAKE the holy city and adopt that religion.

Sometimes I end up with Multiple religions (holy cities), and I just adopt the one that gives me the most benefits.

Spread, bonus, city position, mood I'm in....

You could also aim for Shwedagon Paya, then just go for personal cult. Thats how I do it. It needs so many specific techs that the AI hardly ever builds it. Until you have that research, you can get an great engineer anyway, so it is viable on all difficulties.

I almost always get Judaism or Confucianism, sometimes Buddhism. I don't find that hard to get a religion. If it's really necessary and you want to make a test if you can grab a religion, just beeline for it and see if you can make it.

Although I get messages about a religion found in a distant land,I keep my patience and eventually I always found a religion.

It's so annoying when you can't spread your corporations in your vassal's cities because they're running mercantilism like dumb (insert derogatory word of your choice) and you can't get them to switch to corporatism because they're not there yet,and this why you should've stuck to free market. I wish either your a master's corporations counted as domestic corporations, or there is a new diplo option for masters to ask their vassals to change to certain civics that the master isn't running, like there is for the master to ask his vassal to research a certain tech.

The former would be far preferable as the later would lead to an overcrowded diplomacy screen.

It's so annoying when you can't spread your corporations in your vassal's cities because they're running mercantilism like dumb (insert derogatory word of your choice) and you can't get them to switch to corporatism because they're not there yet,and this why you should've stuck to free market. I wish either your a master's corporations counted as domestic corporations, or there is a new diplo option for masters to ask their vassals to change to certain civics that the master isn't running, like there is for the master to ask his vassal to research a certain tech.

The former would be far preferable as the later would lead to an overcrowded diplomacy screen.

Not necessarily. I think Jackelgull wants to put the adopt (policy other than Master's) on this screen...
(Imagine a "We would like you to adopt..." option slid into the menu)

http://i.imgur.com/rsAE666.png

For reference, here is what the Adopt (policy same as Master's) screen looks like...

http://i.imgur.com/0oWQCkF.jpg

That is where the clutter is. Jackelgull's suggestions are pretty good.

Not necessarily. I think Jackelgull wants to put the adopt (policy other than Master's) on this screen...
(Imagine a "We would like you to adopt..." option slid into the menu)

http://i.imgur.com/rsAE666.png

For reference, here is what the Adopt (policy same as Master's) screen looks like...

http://i.imgur.com/0oWQCkF.jpg

That is where the clutter is. Jackelgull's suggestions are pretty good.
I understand what he is suggesting. I just don't like the idea of having a long list of all the in game policies filling up the diplomacy screen. Especially not when his other idea is just better from both a flavor and gameplay perspective AND would look really clever which is something that is indispensable.

Ultimately, it will probably come down to which is easier to implement. I'm not entirely sure the domestic change could be done without .dll involvement, but a new menu option is a little bit of XML and (probably?) Python work.

Top Bottom