1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

General A New Dawn discussion

Discussion in 'Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn' started by Rezca, Mar 29, 2014.

1. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

Pros and cons as with everything. Like, as a programmer I personally think that the only thing worse than people up the line not thinking about your problems is them thinking about your problems.

2. Vokarya

Vokarya Chieftain

The Revolution code checks the units in the vicinity of the rebelling cities to determine which units to give the rebels. It's looking for the best offensive and defensive units available. Normally, King Richard's Crusade is the only way to get Crusaders, and it doesn't allow you to train them per se; it spawns them.

3. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Chieftain

Than would it be possible at least to change other civs into whatever civic via espionage? That's much harder to exploit since civic changes require a lot of :espionage: and can only do 1 at the time.

4. nionios

nionios Chieftain

Thanks.
    I asked that because civilopedia says that Crusade requires only Holy War tech.So I wondered if anybody with that tech can train this unit.Of course I understand that KRC just spawns crusaders.

5. jsk119

jsk119 Chieftain

Inquisitors seem to be rather underwhelming if played with Revolutions + holy cities.

Removing holy city religions is game breaking but I think It should at least reduce the revolutions mod effect "Non-state religion" by per religion that is removed, and not just persist if there is even one non-state religion on-going. That way Inquisitor can have some impact on holy cities.

Attached Files:

6. Pongui

Pongui Chieftain

I've often thought Viking/Polynesian type civs should have a trait offsetting that. So they (and only they) may casually maintain remote or island cities.

7. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Chieftain

Hmm... just an idea:
    What if Inquisitors by default would not remove Holy Cities only the other non-state religions and Inquisitors would get a new ability: Remove Holy City?
    This would really remove all non-state religions along with all non-state Holy Cities at an additional anger cost.

8. Evs

Evs Chieftain

In last 3 games (huge, Immortal, custom continents, aggressive AI) the AI seems to completely ignore its military after getting to the renaissance era. Is anyone else seeing this ? It feels like the game becomes too easy around this period. Is the Aggressive AI option bugged maybe ?

Previously I'd seen the AI with stacks of 300+ troops attacking around this time it only seems to be happening in my recent games.

The AI downfall seems to start around when all AIs instantly adopt Republic as soon as they discover the required tech. The insane maintenance costs of Republic aslongside the AI always adopting it and always having a large empire seems pretty bugged. They simply cannot afford to build a military or upgrade any troops

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  9. Fozman

Fozman Chieftain

I play at a much lower level (Prince) without Aggressive AI on. For comparison to your data points, during the Renaissance Era, smaller nations will throw stacks of 10-20 siege units at me, larger nations will send 2 or 3 slightly larger stacks of mounted/melee units in addition to this against my attacking force.

10. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Chieftain

If you see less units, it's because units costs have been increased 3x some revisions ago; but it's not just Renaissance, that's from the very start. And the same is true for all players, humans included. So while you and AI needed 300 units some revisions ago, now you need much less. This does not hinder AI in any way from what I've seen and it speeds up the game a lot because less calculation is needed.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  11. Evs

Evs Chieftain

This isn't a case of the increased unit costs causing this. I'm able to consistently build troops to the point where I cannot lose in the renaissance era. Victoria in this screenshot has the tech to build riflemen and cavalry, yet when I enter the world builder she isn't building any troops in any of her 29 cities and has Arqubusier, swordsman and Man-at-Arms in her cities. Also has zero gold and zero gold per turn.

Attached Files:

12. nionios

nionios Chieftain

It seems unreasonable to me that vulcanized rubber which is a widespread manufactured resource in reality, requires lead which I consider to be rare in the game.
    You can easily build Highways but it's difficult to get tyres for automobiles because you don't possess lead.It sounds a bit ridiculous to me.

13. nionios

nionios Chieftain

I've selected Communalism which removes corporation effects.For some cities in the top right city screen there're some corporation icons that don't show any actual yields but I can build the respective corporation buildings.Is that intended?

14. Vokarya

Vokarya Chieftain

It's not intended, or at least I don't think it should be that way, but it's not something I can personally fix.

15. Rezca

Rezca The Greatest Jaggi

Been a way for a while, playing Stellaris a lot and just recently popped back onto CivIV for a spell. Udpated the game and started playing... A few little things I wanted to throw out here:

One, is the "Assimiliation bug" I brought up a whiles back still seems to be present. Here's what happens:
    Portugal settled a city a few tiles from one of my border cities. I got an event later on that spawned five barbarian archers and instead of attacking me they marched south and attacked his lightly garrisoned city and captured it. The city rightfully had (Portugal) after the city's name, signifying it once belonged to their nation. I gathered up some units and captured it for myself, and the (Portugal) suffix disappeared. As far as the game is concerned, it was never a Portugese city - it's always been a Phoenician city (playing with the civ megapack here, but it happens with standard nations too). Whenever cities trade hands between nations, the original owner's nation is always labeled. Whenever the Barbarians take a city from a nation, and then another nation takes that city, the original owner's nationality is disregarded.

Second, is the AI are still very too much focused on valuing the manufactured resources when offering trades. That is, currently in this same game, I've removed Portgual from my island and forced Sitting Bull into playing a OCC game in the icy wastes along the rim of it. I have contact with five AI from the mainland currently. After a while Persia pops in and proposes an Alcohol for Cows trade. I don't particularly like it, but I take it anyway as it saves me the trouble of building a Brewery myself and I have an abundance of cows. Two turns after this deal expires, another AI proposes the same trade. I shoot it down. The very next turn I get two AI both asking for some resource in exchange for - wait for it - Alcohol. I tell them both to shove off. Turns pass, and then an AI comes in asking for Cows and 5gpt for..... Alcohol. I tell him to get lost and then a few turns later one of the AI repeats the same "X resource for Alcohol" trade I declined ten turns prior. This goes on and on until I build a Glassmith, after which a few of the AI start asking about Glassware for Alcohol - with of course the same Cow/Copper/Marble/Potatoes for Alcohol trade offers mixed in.

I figure this is because in these cases Alcohol is a resource I "don't have" and so to them it must be a good deal, but you can make Alcohol yourself - it's not like being starved of Fish, Copper, Corn, Gems, whatever... It's just a matter of building that structure yourself. Usually once I build one of my own, every AI ceases using Alcohol in their offers. Right now I just accepted an Alcohol for Glassware trade with a nation since I'm trying to get him to open his borders to me - and as with before, all the AI immediately stopped proposing X for Alcohol trades once this deal went into effect. I don't see them get this excited when I'm lacking Pigs, Spices, Corn or Bananas, but if I don't have Alcohol or Paper they go absolutely nuts :crazyeye:

And about that... Once Paper Mills start popping up, the AI is VERY insistent with pushing their "X Resource for Paper" offers.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  16. IPEX-731BA5DD06

IPEX-731BA5DD06 Chieftain

SVN 1066 Despotism and Chiefdom.

I've notice that Chiefdom, seems about 1/2 the turn speed of Despotism. I just changed to Despotism, and it is much faster on the turn times.

About that, Chiefdom, seems a much better civic, as I only had 2 cities, but more happy. I probably did jump the gun in civic changes, less revolt chance, but more unhappy, I did just take a Japanese city as my 2nd city.

Also another thing. The AI seems fixated on attacking units when you station them outside its cities/lands.

Sit on a forested hill top, with Woodsman 2 or 3, and it will attack with all units out of a city, till only 1 is left. It will NEVER attack with this unit, even to capture a worker. But sit on a forested hill, across a river, and it will suicide units no end.

Seems like it has aggressive AI turned on, and its not, checked many times. Yet it will attack every time.

17. Vokarya

Vokarya Chieftain

If you're only at 2 cities, you probably don't need Despotism. Despotism gives +1 unhappy per 2 citizens and +1 happy per military unit, so you need more garrison units than half your population just to break even on happiness.

18. IPEX-731BA5DD06

I just had a thought,

You currently get a -1 "you declared war on our friend".

What about another greater penalty, for when you eliminate a Civ completely, or say destroy over 80% of it.

-3 (or greater number if desired) "You committed Genocide on our friend", they would have to be at say Pleased or higher for this to apply.

This would last for a determined set of time, say 10% - 25% of game time

Conversely, you'd get a + 3 (or greater number) "You eliminated our mortal enemy", Here they would have to be their worst enemy (red fist) and at Furious or greater for this boon to apply. Similar conditions would apply, so you can't just swoop in and remove the last city only. Either a high war success or capturing greater then 80% of cities, so for a min 5 city civ, you'd need to take 4 of them. Any smaller and it doesn't apply.

So now you can't kill 1 city rebels, small civs, spun off vassals etc.

:think: might have to work on this
    Spoiler :

Upgrade Smupgrade

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  19. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

Given how all the AI in my games tend to love one another for no good reason I think having such a massive and essentially permanent penalty would be a major down side for those of us who prefer to play this game building instead of conquering. Like, I personally only go to war when threatened or cut off from something I want. And for me having all the AI suddenly turn on me because I defeated one of them would force me down a spiral of ever less diplomacy and ever more having to go to war to get things I want and thus ever less building. And building is the fun in CIV.

45°38'N-13°47'E, Rezca and Samson like this.
  20. IPEX-731BA5DD06

An amendment to the Civopedia, is adding the extra strength to Archers (Bowman, Skirmishers) These are Warfare and Mechanics.

Neither tech has it listed, unless you mouse over the tech in question.

On AI Love in's, it just adds flavour to the game.

I like building, but I won't shy away from TOTAL WAR where required.