1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

General A New Dawn discussion

Discussion in 'Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn' started by Rezca, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Vokarya

Vokarya Deity

I can get behind renaming the features, but I don't think Storm is the right word. What about "Plague Zone"? Or a synonym for "fallout"?

2. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

Exclusion Zone, Biohazard Zone or Plague Zone could all work, I suppose.

3. black213

black213 Emperor

Seems like some of AND's BUG options do not function correcyly: civ contact decay (doesn't work), no storms (doesn't disable them), flexible difficulty (ignores minimum and maximum difficulty).

4. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

"No Storms" doesn't disable active storms: it just stops new storms being spawned.

5. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Deity

I like Biohazard Zone and Plague Zone.

6. JustAnotherNerd

JustAnotherNerd Warlord

Hey. I got a question: I wasnt playing the game maybe a couple years, and as i recall the best part of this mod was transhuman era and fusion nukes, BUT i also remember that someone was speaking about complete removal of them from the mod. So were they removed or not? I mean if they were removed, then not much sense for me to install whole game and mod in addition at all.

7. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Deity

They are not removed just disabled.
    A quick xml check tells me (and my poor memory) tells me that you have to edit CIV4GameOptionInfos.xml and change this part:

Code:
            <GameOptionInfo>
                <Type>GAMEOPTION_ADVANCED_NUKES</Type>
                <Description>TXT_KEY_GAMEOPTION_ADVANCED_NUKES</Description>
                <Help>TXT_KEY_GAMEOPTION_ADVANCED_NUKES_HELP</Help>
                <bDefault>0</bDefault>
                <bVisible>0</bVisible>
            </GameOptionInfo>

Change bDefault to 1 to turn option ON and bVisible to 1 to make it appear in the game start menu.
    IIRC that's all.

8. JustAnotherNerd

JustAnotherNerd Warlord

Ye, I remember that, and unitclassinfos for unlimited amount. playerinstances(-1).
    Good to know they are still in game.

9. black213

black213 Emperor

So Aggressive/Ruthless AI makes it stupid, supposedly. How else can I make war occur more often? Monarch difficulty and wars just seem rare, other than the ones AI spends against rebels.

10. IPEX-731BA5DD06

IPEX-731BA5DD06 Deity

make yourself weaker, and a more appealing target. Otherwise, increase difficulty level.

11. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

I think I remember Contact Decay worked most of the time, although sometime contact wasn't lost when I expected it and I don't know why. What was the problem in your case?

12. black213

black213 Emperor

I kept contact forever.

13. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

Are you sure you were meeting requirements to lose contact? I mean, you're supposed to lose contact if you don't have an embassy with the other civ, if you don't see any of their units or territory for X turns (I don't remember exactly) and maybe some other requirement that I don't remember.

14. rtt4a

rtt4a Prince

Define for ever? What game speed you use? Did you add tech_telegraph in global defines?

Contact decay losing contact time is outcome of three factors, two numbers in defines xml and growth prosent in gamespeed xml.
    If you use for example eternity game speed the number of turns without contact before losing it is crazyly high.. something 150-200 turns.. dont remember because i use own settings to make it shorter.

You can make it so that game checks contact conditions every turn but that make turn times little slower. I use 1/3 which means that game checks conditons every third turn and one positive check causes losing contact.

15. black213

black213 Emperor

Is it working properly for you then? I don't remember the exact factors of my experiences with the setting (it's been a while since I played AND now).
    I typically play on Normal speed, and it's without any personal tweaks to the files. Forever means forever! I don't remember ever losing contact. It was the most prominent on the 18 civ Earth scenario.

16. rtt4a

rtt4a Prince

It should work properly.. check these lines in AND global defines. Change that no_tech to tech_telegraph, normal speed you should lose contact in 66 turns.

Change 6/10 to 1/1 and you lose contact right after first turn you dont meet conditions.

<!-- if set to NO_TECH, disables contact decay -->
    <Define>
    <DefineName>TECH_ALLOWS_PERMENANT_CONTACT</DefineName>
    <DefineTextVal>NO_TECH</DefineTextVal>
    </Define>
    <Define>
    <DefineName>CONTACT_DECAY_SAMPLING_RATE</DefineName>
    <iDefineIntVal>6</iDefineIntVal>
    </Define>
    <Define>
    <DefineName>CONTACT_DECAY_NUM_OF_FAILED_CHECKS_BEFORE_CONTACT_LOST</DefineName>
    <iDefineIntVal>10</iDefineIntVal>
    </Define>

17. Khalighnayao

Khalighnayao Chieftain

Hello all,
    After 13 years I finally signed up.
    A new dawn is by far my favorite mod.

A question about the wonders Via Appia and The Spike. Should they only build paved roads respectively rails for cities already road ed? I was hoping Via Appia did connect a remote barb city but it didn't ;)

18. Vokarya

Vokarya Deity

Via Appia and Golden Spike only connect your cities. It doesn't matter how connected they are, but they have to be yours and they have to be on the same continent as the city that builds the Wonder. Also, there is a system that works to connect your cities to each other by the shortest possible routes and a city that is completely cut off may not get connected.

Silk Road is different. It tries to build roads that connect the building city to your capital and from your capital to the biggest non-barbarian city on the same continent that you have already seen. The road can go through dark territory but the endpoint city can only be picked from cities that you can see. Embassies are probably the best bet here.

Khalighnayao likes this.
  19. Khalighnayao

Khalighnayao Chieftain

Thanks vokarya. I had more luck with the Golden Spike. After carefully keeping the silk road free from barb cities and scattering it with forts, the Spike built a nice Trans Babylonia railway from my malinese empire to a barb city I just conquered and liberated to Babylon. The Spike tends to follow culture and roads and builds the shortest distance between 2 forts.

20. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Deity

Is :health: ever an issue in the game? I see that happiness is a great limiting factor but health?

So an other idea, similar to unhappiness from distance and number of cities mechanism: What if cities received 0.1:yuck: from every city it is connected to (own or foreign doesn't matter)?
    I think this would be something that also represents the spread of diseases (realism) and improve game play, as you should reconsider Open Borders / Right of Passage.