General A New Dawn discussion

Is :health: ever an issue in the game? I see that happiness is a great limiting factor but health?

So an other idea, similar to unhappiness from distance and number of cities mechanism: What if cities received 0.1:yuck: from every city it is connected to (own or foreign doesn't matter)?
I think this would be something that also represents the spread of diseases (realism) and improve game play, as you should reconsider Open Borders / Right of Passage.

I have the opposite feeling
Never had an issue with happiness but unhealthiness is a constant pain in the ... around industrial at least.

Is :health: ever an issue in the game? I see that happiness is a great limiting factor but health?

So an other idea, similar to unhappiness from distance and number of cities mechanism: What if cities received 0.1:yuck: from every city it is connected to (own or foreign doesn't matter)?
I think this would be something that also represents the spread of diseases (realism) and improve game play, as you should reconsider Open Borders / Right of Passage.
I find that in the early game it is only happiness. Then when you get to some combination of Divine Cult, Monarchy and other middle age civics it becomes less of an issue and then health is more of a problem. It varies somewhat over the next few ages, but I think it is fairly balanced which is the limiting factor, much better than BTS anyway.

I agree that (un)healthiness is a major limiting factor especially in Industrial era.No problem with happiness as the time passes.

Okay, than it's only me. True, I haven't been in the industrial era for a long time but I recalled others saying that health is not a big issue - looks like I was wrong.
I still think it would be an interesting and challenging feature but... I understand that it would need to re-balance the entire mod.

Is Movement Limits still bugged? I think it is, based on investigations into the source code: Movement limits in early eras

To fix it I need someone to tell me how it's supposed to work. I want to pull out the magic numbers at the same time as uncrossing all the if-statements.

Is Movement Limits still bugged? I think it is, based on investigations into the source code: Movement limits in early eras

To fix it I need someone to tell me how it's supposed to work. I want to pull out the magic numbers at the same time as uncrossing all the if-statements.

It isn't AFAIK. Simply your units which have a strength (so settlers, spies and gp are excluded) can't go beyond a certain distance from the closest of your cities. The range increases with some techs. There are exceptions as units can travel further on roads beyond said range and inside another civ's territory if you have open borders. That should be it.

Edit: if terrain damage is ON your units will be damaged while outside said range. If it's off, they will be bounced back inside the range.

I have the opposite feeling
Never had an issue with happiness but unhealthiness is a constant pain in the ... around industrial at least.

I find that unhealth also becomes a problem around the Industrial Era. I have to carefully balance health buildings with industrial buildings.

If we really need to rein in health, I would rather tinker with the mechanics that we already have in place rather than create a new mechanic. I think we have a lot of health buildings and they all stack, which makes unhealth easier to keep in check.

I find that unhealth also becomes a problem around the Industrial Era. I have to carefully balance health buildings with industrial buildings.

If we really need to rein in health, I would rather tinker with the mechanics that we already have in place rather than create a new mechanic. I think we have a lot of health buildings and they all stack, which makes unhealth easier to keep in check.

I agree, but I don't really think we need to adjust anything in this case. I think game is pretty well balanced as it is

Is Movement Limits still bugged?
Yes, it's still bugged. I play with Terrain Damage and sometimes when loading a save game I can freely go around: tiles that should cause damage no longer do so. And I mean grass tiles with forest, not dessert of course.
I'll try to post a screenshot the next time I experience it.

I agree, but I don't really think we need to adjust anything in this case. I think game is pretty well balanced as it is
It's okay. It was just another (crazy?) ideas of mine. If everyone else says that health is fine than I'm fine with it :)

Yes, it's still bugged. I play with Terrain Damage and sometimes when loading a save game I can freely go around: tiles that should cause damage no longer do so. And I mean grass tiles with forest, not dessert of course.
I'll try to post a screenshot the next time I experience it.

If it's plain RAND also post a save. I never experienced bugs with Movement Limits and I always use it with terrain damage.

No, it's not plain RAND but since ML is a dll modification I don't see how I could affect it to become buggy :dunno:

True, but I don't know if I can test a savegame saved with Chronicles.

I just started a new game after about a year away and something new I haven't seen before is there that I can't figure out what it means. I just unlocked the science slider and it says +16/Turn and +5 TD. What is that second part: +5 TD?

Edit: Does it mean tech diffusion?

Last edited:
Yes it does, its a balancing item. Early in the game, your behind the AI's in tech research.

As the game progresses, usually, you'll be able to gain a lead, and the AI's gain the Tech diffusion, in addition to the other bonuses they get, according to the level played at.

Would it be possible to update the Game Text manager to show <PrereqOrBuildingClass> prerequisites on the prerequisite buildings (and also units)?

As an example, look at Barbwire Fence. It requires a Garrison or Military Base to build, and this shows up in Barbwire's Civilopedia text and page, but does not show up anywhere on Garrison or Military Base's text. I think the game text should say Allows Building of [insert building here] to differentiate it from when there is only one building that meets the prerequisites, such as Combat Simulator which absolutely requires a Military Base.

I noticed this because I was working on the new Gengineer, which I want to be able to sub for Biological Warfare Lab for Biological Warfare Missile and BBM. The XML tag <PrereqOrBuildings> exists for units, but the game text for the appropriate buildings does not reflect this. When this tag is used for those two units, the only thing you can see on the Bio War Lab is the -1 health and -1 happy. This is very misleading.

Would it be possible to update the Game Text manager to show <PrereqOrBuildingClass> prerequisites on the prerequisite buildings (and also units)?

As an example, look at Barbwire Fence. It requires a Garrison or Military Base to build, and this shows up in Barbwire's Civilopedia text and page, but does not show up anywhere on Garrison or Military Base's text. I think the game text should say Allows Building of [insert building here] to differentiate it from when there is only one building that meets the prerequisites, such as Combat Simulator which absolutely requires a Military Base.

I noticed this because I was working on the new Gengineer, which I want to be able to sub for Biological Warfare Lab for Biological Warfare Missile and BBM. The XML tag <PrereqOrBuildings> exists for units, but the game text for the appropriate buildings does not reflect this. When this tag is used for those two units, the only thing you can see on the Bio War Lab is the -1 health and -1 happy. This is very misleading.

I will look into it.

Top Bottom