1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

General A New Dawn discussion

Discussion in 'Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn' started by Rezca, Mar 29, 2014.

1. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

2. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Deity

3. Vokarya

Vokarya Deity

I think it's worth a try. I like improvements that do something unique. I think we just have to target the yields so that they are slightly less than any other improvement, so you build one per city if that city really needs it and then don't build any more. That would hopefully keep the AI from overbuilding them.

4. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Deity

Is Super Forts merged into AND2?
    It has an <iUnique> tag. This is the range within which you cannot build another of this improvement. This could useful too. Setting it to 2,3 or 4 could just do the job.

5. devolution

devolution Warlord

I can confirm that Super Forts are part of AND2. However, there appears to be significant changes with respect to the original modcomp.

6. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Deity

That's strange, because I could not find bUpgradeRequiresFortify tag in CIV4TerrainSchema and iUnique tag seems to be missing too (appears only in bonus section). So I doubt that it is the same super forts mod comp.

7. PolPot

PolPot Chieftain

wasn't sure where to put it but I need help installing the Rise Of Mankind mod. seems no matter what I use, I get errors. doesn't matter if its a mod launcher, the installer. I had some error with the updated version (recent build) where it said it couldn't write "latin (some weird file name)" if there is any recent build for 2 (because I know 1 is finished) I would like to know.

8. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Deity

9. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

Ok, I'll give it a try.

10. jtanner28

jtanner28 Chieftain

Hey guys. I haven't been around in a while and I also haven't played AND2 in awhile. Truthfully, back when I did play it a lot I really wasn't very good at it. Always played on a super easy level (less than Noble) just so I could get into it and experience all the features.

In my most recent game I tried out Noble. It's about 700 AD and I am 300ish points ahead. I just circumnavigated the globe. I pretty much can get my pick of any WW. My people are happy, productive, and cultured. Now maybe I am better at the game than I thought or maybe I got a charmed start. Who knows? What I do know is that I can now produce military units at a ridiculous rate and that they will have a bunch of starting experience due to my choice of religion, civics, and wonders. I am poised on the brink of steamrolling the planet. I am also poised on the brink of boredom because I think I have this one in the bag.

My question is this: what settings does everyone recommended for a maximally engaging game? My preference is water maps with the Dutch. I am very fond of naval warfare, amphibious assault tactics, and in later eras air superiority. I like playing with xUPT set quite low. I also love espionage, privateers, and submarines. Sneaky stuff. I am looking for an engaging tactical game where choke points, supply chains, and access to strategic resources are major factors. I am not a big fan of Revolutions.

So, questions: What do you recommend?
    Game speed?
    Map type, size settings?
    Difficulty settings and Options?
    Civilization and Leader?
    Victory conditions?

Just looking for a great game where I have to work hard and think deep to win. I don't want to get killed off early but I want there to be a definite risk of falling behind. Maybe playing with the Increasing Difficulty option is an idea. Or Final Five. Something to light a fire under me so that I don't waste time trying to build every building in every city.

11. HorseshoeHermit

HorseshoeHermit 20% accurate as usual, Morty

Play a multiplayer game with me after Vokarya pushes his next tech tree patch :D (and updates the F6 screen like I modeled for him :think:)
    That should be engaging.

12. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

Try Flexible Difficulty and Flexible AI under BUG Options. That will give you a better challenge. Also, archipelagos maps aren't very good for AND (but Civ in general, at least up to Civ4) because AI doesn't know how to handle naval warfare and that makes it very easy for humans to win. Map size, I suggest anything not smaller than Normal. Revolution is a must for me but that's a matter of taste. Gamespeed anything up from Normal.

13. PolPot

PolPot Chieftain

mine is the Steam version. dunno how I can patch that. I'll check your link, though

14. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

Do you have any experience in playing RAND Multiplayer? Do you play via LAN/Internet or PBEM? I ask because I'm always looking for feedback on how MP works.

15. HorseshoeHermit

HorseshoeHermit 20% accurate as usual, Morty

Nope, I haven't been ready for multiplayer until now. Probably still going to crash and burn (my economy). You ask as though it would be probable I could find people who want to netplay with a conversion mod. This makes me happy, but, I wonder where else I could be looking.

16. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

I assumed you already tried MP with someone. I also only played with another user of this forum (and with my wife via LAN). I asked to open a MP subforum exactly because I thought people might use it to find other players.

17. jtanner28

jtanner28 Chieftain

I actually have never tried MP. It might be fun. I am not really very good at the game (or rather I don't have enough patience most of the time), but I might make a better opponent than the AI. I will certainly at least try weird things that the AI wouldn't do. So sure, after the next patch, let's give it a go. We can negotiate game settings and options beforehand to make sure it's reasonably balanced and fun for both of us. Unless, maybe you'd like to make this a multi-player with others also? I'm down for a big game too.

Maybe Joseph_II, 45 deg, and Vokarya? Or whomever wants to join. Make it four or five humans and the same number of AI? Standard map size? Something like that? Or are you thinking a big map/long game?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  18. Slarki

Slarki Warlord

If there is a multiplayer set up, I would like to join.

19. robyextreme

robyextreme Warlord

Wouldn't multiplayer take way too much time? depends on settings but I play normal game speed starting on ancient age and my games last up to a week even though I play a few hours a day lol.

20. Slarki

Slarki Warlord

I think that's the beauty of it. You create games that you sometimes talk about years later.