General A New Dawn discussion

I don't understand Permanent Alliances it seems. Latest game; Hatshepsut's been Friendly with me. We have had wars, defensive pacts, all sorts of amazing relations and the worst she's been is a -3 from her swapping back to Buddhism every now and then (Someone once said the AI never spreads their religions. Hatty disagrees with this.) "You've grown too powerful for us" she keeps saying. I looked at a guide, the AI will say this if you're at the top of the military board. I'm not. I'm third. I'm also second on the scoreboard. If I delete/gift units she switches to "We're doing fine on our own" which said guide says the AI will say if *they're* in that position. I train ONE unit, and she's back to "You've grown too powerful for us".

If AND2 had one of those "advanced WB's" I'd have just switched it on in there, but alas.

Somewhat unrelated but... Numerous, numerous times a nation will lose their last city and then have a pikeman or explorer wandering around.... For a dozen, or even two dozen, turns before they FINALLY disappear. I remember that being a thing for a very long time, but without Require Complete Kills and Revolutions there should be no reason whatsoever why a nation that just lost their last city and has only a handful of units (or even just ONE unit) should still be allowed to live - And might I add, live + still engage in diplomacy (My personal favorites: Taking their last city then demanding all their technology in the "peace treaty" followed by their being able to bribe nations into declaring war on you while still "alive" even though they shouldn't be)

I mean, there's no real chance of a "comeback" at that point, so if that's a feature I'd lump it in with "Require Complete Kills". If it's a bug, well I hope it's one that can be fixed!

I don't understand Permanent Alliances it seems. Latest game; Hatshepsut's been Friendly with me. We have had wars, defensive pacts, all sorts of amazing relations and the worst she's been is a -3 from her swapping back to Buddhism every now and then (Someone once said the AI never spreads their religions. Hatty disagrees with this.) "You've grown too powerful for us" she keeps saying. I looked at a guide, the AI will say this if you're at the top of the military board. I'm not. I'm third. I'm also second on the scoreboard. If I delete/gift units she switches to "We're doing fine on our own" which said guide says the AI will say if *they're* in that position. I train ONE unit, and she's back to "You've grown too powerful for us".

If AND2 had one of those "advanced WB's" I'd have just switched it on in there, but alas.

Somewhat unrelated but... Numerous, numerous times a nation will lose their last city and then have a pikeman or explorer wandering around.... For a dozen, or even two dozen, turns before they FINALLY disappear. I remember that being a thing for a very long time, but without Require Complete Kills and Revolutions there should be no reason whatsoever why a nation that just lost their last city and has only a handful of units (or even just ONE unit) should still be allowed to live - And might I add, live + still engage in diplomacy (My personal favorites: Taking their last city then demanding all their technology in the "peace treaty" followed by their being able to bribe nations into declaring war on you while still "alive" even though they shouldn't be)

I mean, there's no real chance of a "comeback" at that point, so if that's a feature I'd lump it in with "Require Complete Kills". If it's a bug, well I hope it's one that can be fixed!

About Permanent Alliances, I remember there's some logic about how they can be formed but I don't remember the details even if I have written that part of the code. But I do remember that I left the text part unfinished: the messages you get are standard but I should have updated them to better match the logic of AI refusal. Basically, I left the text saying "you're too powerful" or "we're doing fine on our own" when it should actually have been something more "we're not interested in an alliance". I think the logic is something about hypotetical allies not becoming too strong compared to other civs, something also involving size of the civ and not just military strenght and size/strenght ratio between allies and other civs. IIRC it was a bit complex but it looked reasonable when I wrote down the code.

About the units not being properly killed when a civ is killed, I think it happened to me too; IIRC that part was Afforess' work, I only changed a part that was making impossibile to kill a civ when "Require complete kill" was selected because Great Spies were impossible to kill.

About Permanent Alliances, I remember there's some logic about how they can be formed but I don't remember the details even if I have written that part of the code. But I do remember that I left the text part unfinished: the messages you get are standard but I should have updated them to better match the logic of AI refusal. Basically, I left the text saying "you're too powerful" or "we're doing fine on our own" when it should actually have been something more "we're not interested in an alliance". I think the logic is something about hypotetical allies not becoming too strong compared to other civs, something also involving size of the civ and not just military strenght and size/strenght ratio between allies and other civs. IIRC it was a bit complex but it looked reasonable when I wrote down the code.

About the units not being properly killed when a civ is killed, I think it happened to me too; IIRC that part was Afforess' work, I only changed a part that was making impossibile to kill a civ when "Require complete kill" was selected because Great Spies were impossible to kill.

Are the way Permanent Alliances are handled in AND2's different than in the base game?
A little more clarification in-game might help yes. Maybe I should have continued that game a bit more, waited to see if other empires began forming alliances or not. I WB'ed everyone the relevant techs after I researched it myself (Since some were kinda backwards) but didn't wait around for long after that. I remember one game a long time back where I was trying to get an Alliance and two neighbors who loved me refused to. When other nations began forming alliances, suddenly one of them was interested (The other still refused). Not much happened to the two of us between that time, but I don't know much about what's going on under the hood. I also know that - at least in vanilla - some AI's just flat out aren't interested in an alliance, or need more/less relations compared to others. IIRC Alexander would never sign one under any circumstances?

Hm, maybe it affected something unintentionally. Always possible!
It's a bit of a minor note, but at some point in time if you have Assimilation turned on, if you capture a city from say Rome it'll say [Roman]. If a barbarian captures it and then you capture it back, it'll no longer say [Roman], having removed the initial Roman ownership from the city's info.

AND2 permanent alliances are definitely different from vanilla. For example you can have more than 2 civs in the same alliance. Game is designed to help small civs banding together against larger civs.

I know about the bug with assimilation but never had time to debug it.

AND2 permanent alliances are definitely different from vanilla. For example you can have more than 2 civs in the same alliance. Game is designed to help small civs banding together against larger civs.

I know about the bug with assimilation but never had time to debug it.

Ah cool. Well maybe I should have stuck around in that game for a bit longer to see if she'd have accepted once other nations began forming Alliances too. She kept bouncing between the same two "No" responses no matter what I tried doing and after a while I just got fed up and quit xD

Seventy-three Explorers. Good grief, why are they making so many? xD
I mean like, I see two or three Explorers per civ out and about at almost all times, and once I got done killing the Khemer scouts I see two more walk out of his cities. Same with the Incan.

explore.jpg

Hey guys, don't wanna start new topic so I'll ask here.

Is it intentional that my spy "focus" reset constantly and game is dividing my spy points for all the civs in the game according to their power? I wanna spy only on the big guy (Rome at this example is stomping my game, I'm very behind in tech) but every time I put spy points on him next turn it get reset, I cannot manually change it every turn since I have 26 civs on the map atm...

Bug or intended?

Thanks in advance for answer.

Last edited:
Hey guys, don't wanna start new topic so I'll ask here.

Is it intentional that my spy "focus" reset constantly and game is dividing my spy points for all the civs in the game according to their power? I wanna spy only on the big guy (Rome at this example is stomping my game, I'm very behind in tech) but every time I put spy points on him next turn it get reset, I cannot manually change it every turn since I have 26 civs on the map atm...

Bug or intended?

Thanks in advance for answer.

Bug but I don't know what's causing it and hence how to solve it... It shouldn't reset every turn to tell the truth. In my experience it happens randomly; sometimes spy points get distributed randomly but it's not happening every turn even if it can happen some turns in a row.

Thanks for response.

I figure out how it's working now. So the game is dividing your spy points till you have enough spy-power to see what all AI is researching and then it stops doing that and only put points into civs which are either big or spying on you. That would be great if u can stop it so you can focus :) It's also resetting your research and commerce sliders :(. Anyway since I have vision on all AI civs in my game it's pretty ez to focus manually, I just need to click few times.

Btw I'm playing on giant Earth map scenario, epic (amazing game scale, so many things happening), and so Rome got so big and land-hungry that revolutions took place and now its manageable. At one point it had 13 vassals, true Roman Empire...now it has 1 :)
Also worth to notice, 30 civs on the map atm but no mafs so far, few times I had to change to viewpoints to go through some slower turns with a lot of events but 900 turns in and turn time is around 30sec. Gj considering Pae or CtC have that time almost from the start and playing giant map over there is almost impossible (ofc depends on the options).
To sum up, I'm not gonna give up game like that cos of some minor inconvenience, I really wanna see some nasty nuclear winter soon.

So, not bad job on revival of the mod.

Last edited:
Thanks for response.

I figure out how it's working now. So the game is dividing your spy points till you have enough spy-power to see what all AI is researching and then it stops doing that and only put points into civs which are either big or spying on you. That would be great if u can stop it so you can focus :) It's also resetting your research and commerce sliders :(. Anyway since I have vision on all AI civs in my game it's pretty ez to focus manually, I just need to click few times.

Btw I'm playing on giant Earth map scenario, epic (amazing game scale, so many things happening), and so Rome got so big and land-hungry that revolutions took place and now its manageable. At one point it had 13 vassals, true Roman Empire...now it has 1 :)
Also worth to notice, 30 civs on the map atm but no mafs so far, few times I had to change to viewpoints to go through some slower turns with a lot of events but 900 turns in and turn time is around 30sec. Gj considering Pae or CtC have that time almost from the start and playing giant map over there is almost impossible (ofc depends on the options).
To sum up, I'm not gonna give up game like that cos of some minor inconvenience, I really wanna see some nasty nuclear winter soon.

So, not bad job on revival of the mod.

Are you using viewports? I don't know other people who use this option and I'm not sure it will work properly. I imported that part of the code from C2C years ago but never really used it, some quick test excluded. IIRC it was causing problems sooner or later, I think I recall there were problems with the Great Wall for example.

Are you using viewports? I don't know other people who use this option and I'm not sure it will work properly. I imported that part of the code from C2C years ago but never really used it, some quick test excluded. IIRC it was causing problems sooner or later, I think I recall there were problems with the Great Wall for example.

I'm using them but not often, basically I had some turns which stuck, usually when there was huge war declaration or big revolution, and sometimes on autosaves, then I switch ON viewports to go through that moments (just for few turns) and it works like a charm. Did that 3 or 4 times so far and nth is broken. Funny thing because just after "tough" moments my turn time is back to normal.

Also I did few turns (20-30) with viewports ON during ingame exploration period today and it works fine, almost no delay when screen is jumping from one caravel to another (I had 40/40 setup on, which default).

Those informations about Viewports and Espionage resetting are really handy.

Can it be related to AI autoplay feature? Maybe some part of the code is active all the time?

Gentlemens, please tell me if the opportunity in the editor to add a new country? And how can this be done? Such an opportunity is for example Caveman 2 Cosmos.

Last edited:
Hey all, just wanted to say thank you for this mod. I played CiV for a while but now I believe I'm back to IV thanks to what you've all done here.

Gentlemens, please tell me if the opportunity in the editor to add a new country? And how can this be done? Such an opportunity is for example Caveman 2 Cosmos.

I wanted to come back and answer this. What do you mean by "in the editor"? Are you talking about the World Builder or something else? I don't think you can add a player to a game that already started. You can add a new civilization through modules.

I don't know if it's mentioned earlier, but there's a bug causing all of my cities to shrink (starve) each time i load a save game after longer period of playing.

Why does the Al produce Great People without me being able to keep up? I play on Emporer, while maybe I get a Great Person on every 100-200 turns, the AI produces one after the other. What am I doing wrong? Best mod ever btw.

sorry, maybe this is not the place for such a question but will tell me how to destroy the city? in Rise of Mankind - And New Dawn, how do I get a city I don't always need to know how to get rid of it?

Top Bottom