General A New Dawn discussion

Does make sense now that I think about it - though the power plants in the other cities (Well, the two I tested anyway) retained their power plant after the draft - just not the capitol.

The power plant didn't return after a few turns though - it's like the drafted citizen took the power plant with him on his way to pick up his coat and rifle :lol:

Hopefully it should be an easy fix :)

I've tested and the plant goes away but returns as soon as the city expands in population. I remember Afforess fixed a similar problem when a city was starving and employed citizens were the first to die; I've tried something similar but it didn't work, I'll have to think more about it.

Pretty happy with this game so far. Very unpredictable and certainly not easy!

Highlights off the top of my head:
*Kangxi I was in constant fear that he'd declare on me (Frequently 0.5 ~ 0.7 on the power graph!) and was leader in everything imaginable until De Gualle and Zara just tore him apart. City after city fell until he was gone :eek:

*Zara's been leader for ages now, 5 ~ 7 techs ahead of me for long periods of time and then he declares war on me :run:
We spent the next 1,200 years or so at war :lol:
I managed to take and raze a city, after many long years of struggle (I now thoroughly hate Drill IV gunpowder units. Especially when there's like 30+ of them.)

*Many civs have a permanent alliance set up with soemone else

*Several civs have gone from World Power to Meaningless and back again (Egypt in her tundra island has been a power several times somehow!)

*Pacal was first into the Modern Era from what I could see, may other civs are a bit ahead of me and the Dutch! :sad:

*Asoka declared on me at one point, and took one of my border cities. I retailiated by taking and razing two of his cities and retaking my city before making peace. Later he declared on me during my Thousand Year war with Zara, so I was fighting a two-front war. After losing countless units in my territory to no meaningful effect, I slowly pushed up to and took two of his cities, then took a weakly defended (only six units!) city and razed it, and am eying one last city to free up the cultural pressure on the other two conquests before making peace. Asoka was crippled the last time I pushed him back, but then he bounced back to being slightly stronger than me. Now he's looking crippled again, wonder if he's going to bounce back again?

*Kangxi returned to the game, though he's just an afterthought with his one city.

*De Guale had hated me for ages, yet never once declared war on me. Amusingly enough, after he made an Alliance with off-continent Boudica, he shortly went up to Pleased (Though we both shared a war with Zara so there was that too.)

Moving deeper into the Modern Era, and the game's nowhere near over yet. Much fun!
One thing that kept me afloat during the Zara War was the fact I had Oil Products (from the Shale Plants) and he didn't. So I could field bomber aircraft (Lot of use they did, I'd barely do any collateral damage even with half a dozen of them, and they'd all heal up the next turn. He had so many AA guns running around too...) and tanks while he had to make do with Marines and Modern Infantry. De Gualle took control over the contested oil resource I manually placed, so he's pushing out tanks now as well. Zara's still got more units than he does, and more production, but without tanks or bombers...

Finally... There's this event still referring to Environmentalism. Shouldn't that be Green now? :)
View attachment 387333

Rezca, I am hoping I squished this bug* in Rev861. You will have to recalculate modifiers when loading an older save, but only once. After that drafting citizens should not cause a city to lose access to employed buildings.

Edit:

* I am referring to the bug where drafting (or any decrease in population) silently disables a building that requires population to employ it.

Would someone please explain why all the AI civs are running at noble when I have them set at settler max? The BUG screen confuses me because at a glance it looks like the check boxes are reversed. I always use AI variable difficulty as a way to try to balance the game. I vary MY difficulty during the course of the game by adjusting the lower box (view deity). I find that Sogroon's AI Mod Mod really helps the smaller civs so I use that also.

It seems to me that the AI variable difficulty works only sometimes but not continuously throughout the course of the game. AI variable difficulty has been working today, But it is not working at this moment.

Would someone please explain why all the AI civs are running at noble when I have them set at settler max? The BUG screen confuses me because at a glance it looks like the check boxes are reversed. I always use AI variable difficulty as a way to try to balance the game. I vary MY difficulty during the course of the game by adjusting the lower box (view deity). I find that Sogroon's AI Mod Mod really helps the smaller civs so I use that also.

It seems to me that the AI variable difficulty works only sometimes but not continuously throughout the course of the game. AI variable difficulty has been working today, But it is not working at this moment.

As far as I know that Min/Max difficulty only applies to the player's Flexible Difficulty.

Oldnoob, I think you don't understand how Flexible Difficulty and Flexible AI work. If you check Flexible Difficulty YOUR handicap will change between Max and Min that you can set. If you check Flexible AI, AI Handicap will also change and you can't set a Max or Min for AI: those will always be Deity and Settler. Also, you cannot set a specific handicap for AI. But you can change YOUR handicap manually. What I suggest, see Rezca experience in his current game, is to start at noble for everyone and check both Flexible Difficulty and Flexible AI with difficulty checked every 10 turns (not 50 like in your current game, by the way I'll change that default to 10 in my next commit). This is all valid for a game started from scratch, these changes won't help very much balancing your current game. I'm sure you'll get a nice and challenging game.

45°38'N-13°47'E;13618103 said:
What I suggest, see Rezca experience in his current game, is to start at noble for everyone and check both Flexible Difficulty and Flexible AI with difficulty checked every 10 turns (not 50 like in your current game, by the way I'll change that default to 10 in my next commit). This is all valid for a game started from scratch, these changes won't help very much balancing your current game. I'm sure you'll get a nice and challenging game.

I also started it on Huge/Epic with no other civs in the game ^^
This was of course a bit of a problem since it skyrocketed me to Deity before any other civs showed up, but once they did I was actually moving from Prince ~ Immortal quite often. Once the other civilizations started getting setup, things started getting real fun - of course I'm behind 3 ~ 7 techs from the other nations, but I'm not snowballing over everyone like I usually do either xP

Biggest problem with the "Start Alone" games is that the map generator doesn't place enough of some types of resources in the game... I saw ONE SINGLE SOURCE of oil in the entire world, and no Uranium at all in this game! So you'd have to either deal with it (Sucks if you get caught without Copper, Iron, and Oil like most nations here did! I still don't have any Copper, had to import some from the Dutch!) or place it by hand before you take your first turn.

That aside, they do result in quite the interesting games! :)

Biggest problem with the "Start Alone" games is that the map generator doesn't place enough of some types of resources in the game... I saw ONE SINGLE SOURCE of oil in the entire world, and no Uranium at all in this game! So you'd have to either deal with it (Sucks if you get caught without Copper, Iron, and Oil like most nations here did! I still don't have any Copper, had to import some from the Dutch!) or place it by hand before you take your first turn.

I added min/max resource requirements to the BonusInfo XML, I bet all you need to do is add a minimum limit for resources like oil.

45°38'N-13°47'E;13618103 said:
Oldnoob, I think you don't understand how Flexible Difficulty and Flexible AI work. If you check Flexible Difficulty YOUR handicap will change between Max and Min that you can set. If you check Flexible AI, AI Handicap will also change and you can't set a Max or Min for AI: those will always be Deity and Settler. Also, you cannot set a specific handicap for AI. But you can change YOUR handicap manually. What I suggest, see Rezca experience in his current game, is to start at noble for everyone and check both Flexible Difficulty and Flexible AI with difficulty checked every 10 turns (not 50 like in your current game, by the way I'll change that default to 10 in my next commit). This is all valid for a game started from scratch, these changes won't help very much balancing your current game. I'm sure you'll get a nice and challenging game.

Then why are there max and min difficulty boxes that offer AI adjustable settings? also my question pertains only to AI FLEXABLE DIFFICULTY. I already know how to change MY DIFFICULTY.
THE BOXES DO allow AI difficulty Parameters to be set. The AI is supposed to adjust itself according to the parameters that I set!

I do not use Variable Difficulty. I check the AI box then enter the variables I want for the AI. this usually works for me so the AI will not be handicapped by High difficulty.

Some versions ago I tried editing (I think it was) the global xml but it only worked for a short time then started throwing errors in the next revision.

For ME the AI needs to be kept at settler to accommodate MY aggressive play style, otherwise by the time Modern ERA rolls around I am way to far ahead. I usually put my stats at 0 (knowledge, gold, fame) at the end of industrial because by then I am already way ahead.

So please tell me how I can restrict the AI to settler difficulty?

You can't. Those boxes ARE NOT for AI. They are FOR YOU. It's YOUR handicap you can choose to vary between those max and min you can set in the boxes, not that of AI. And those boxes only work if you check Flexible Difficulty. The AI is supposed to adjust itself by itself, you can't set any parameter except how frequently handicap is checked (edit: not completely true, frequency box is always for you, not AI). If you want to avoid steamrolling, try what I said instead. Again, see what happened to Rezca (and other games I've tried), you'll find it hard to steamroll anyone.

At this point I'm pretty sure if anyone's gonna get steamrolled in my game it's the few "how are these guys still alive?" AIs and myself. DeGualle's running around with Mechanized Infantry - the only nation in the game to have them - while my best units are still Tanks and Modern Infantry. I only just now got Bombers, something he's had for a while now (Zara doesn't have aircraft of any kind thank god, due to his not having any Oil.)

I do like playing the "Starting Alone" game types. They're actually quite different than your usual game of Civilization (Of course, not enabling Barbarian Civs renders this meaningless) and have frequently proven to be much more challenging as well, especially with the Realistic tech spread option enabled. Or whatever it was called again ^^; Time Scale?

The More Handicaps modmod way out dated. I didn't care for it a bit for a long time. It overwrites the original values - which were balanced since I created MH. Consider it a "No longer supported" stuff I suggest not to use.
And with the new settings + 45's description you shouldn't even need it, especially with the "Time scaled teching" or whatever its name is.

Wep, just got the message that Saladin adopted Superhuman civic. I haven't even worked into the later-half of the Modern era yet.

So much for a quick and easy game :crazyeye:
Bright side, I'm making slow progress in my war with Zara (Loved when I snuck a landing ship past the city where he was constantly loading up troops and razed the city behind it that only had four units on defense).

Can't recall a time when I was this late into a game and there was still no clear winner yet, or a time when I was actualy behind in tech with the AIs :lol:

Is there anything the player can do about the "Pirate" Corvettes that spawn from events? Not a pirate-promoted unit, but the event-spawned ships that happened to be named as such. They're classified as 'Invisible' and refuse to actually attack any of my ships - so every turn they just run around Range Bombarding my ships and just overall being annoying - but I can't spot nor sink any of them because of their Invisibility.

By this I mean, is there any way to actually flush them out and spot them somehow - submarines, aircraft's recon missions, etc? Or is the Invisibility of theirs a magical shield that makes them immune to being harmed in any way unless they specifically attack - which they're refusing to do right now.

45°38'N-13°47'E;13620416 said:
Build your own stealth destroyers fleet, they should be able to spot them

I only just now got Stealth so I haven't had the chance to yet. These guys had been harassing me for the past 20 ~ 25 turns (As I said before, I've been very behind in tech - your suggestion with the flexibile AI and the starting the game alone seems to have had a... Noticeable effect on the AI in this game :lol: )

So invisible units can spot other invisible units then? Spies not withstanding of course ;)

45°38'N-13°47'E;13620449 said:
There are different types of invisibility. Spies, subs, stealth units and great spies if I'm not mistaken.

I built a stealth submarine and moved it over in the general location where the corvettes were harassing my battleships and it showed up on the map. I promptly sank the pesky thing, so your suggestion worked ^^

Don't think I'll be winning this game (Mastery, and I'm behind quite a bit in score) but oh well x)
At least it was fun and exciting - might just continue onward and see if I can "win" even in defeat :p
(That is, conquer the nations that had been so mean for centuries on end :nuke: )

Secular civic should (I hate that word) nullify " We do not do business with unbelievers" or else change the civic description that describes religious tolerance.

Two questions regarding the game date when making a scenario (i.e. editing the world builder save file with a text editor).

1)Will the "realistic timescale" option be affected if I use CALENDAR_DEFAULT but set as start year "0" instead of "-6000" ?
Does that option work with the "calendar date" or with the current turn number? (I am not changing the starting turn or the number of turns in the game).

2) I remember it was possible, but can't find it anymore: where can I edit the number of turns after which the barbarians stop spawning as animals and start spawning actual "human" units (i.e. warriors, archers etc.)?

Top Bottom