1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

General A New Dawn discussion

Discussion in 'Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn' started by Rezca, Mar 29, 2014.

1. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

So you don't get anymore "great beast" "water of life" or similar signs but just the yield? I'm not sure I like it. After many turns, who could remember the reason? I know it's not fundamental, but...

2. dbkblk

dbkblk Emperor

That's true, but if you are Japanese or Russian you'll get "+1P (ù*rg^$gù*). So you cannot remember the reason neither. Maybe we should exclude non-default languages for this ? I would like to find an universal solution but I don't think this is possible.

3. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

Well, I know those characters aren't nice to see but you get your info +1 p(roduction) anyway. What about displaying it in English only? Or displaying the icon and phrase in English? Is it possible?

4. dbkblk

dbkblk Emperor

To display it in English, we just have to copy the description. I think we should display it in default languages and remove the desc on non-default.

5. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Deity

I may misunderstood something:

Is the question about to change the display from +1P to +1:hammers:?

BTW could Goody Huts also have an icon when CTRL+R on? Would be easier to spot them.

6. dbkblk

dbkblk Emperor

This is what I wanted to do, but I'm not sure it's possible. I also want to remove +1P "(*event desc*)" because that part cannot be rendered in non-default languages. I guess I'll just check the language and display it or not.

7. oldnooob

oldnooob Prince

SOMEONE has introduced code that has changed the Civ4 cache location on my computer.
    I need to know where the civ4 cache has been moved to.
    This has happened when I updated from v909 to v921 two days ago.

8. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

AFAIK cache can't be moved as it's a basic BTS folder. Why do you think it's been moved?

9. oldnooob

oldnooob Prince

yeah that's what I thought until I started up my computer this morning and clicked on my desktop link to the cache folder and read that the link location was no longer valid because the folder had been moved. So then I went to the folder location and found no folder.
    I am hoping to get a response from dbkblk because he has been making big changes lately .

10. masaykh

masaykh Prince

11. oldnooob

oldnooob Prince

Well thanks for the tool. but it will take me days to figure out how to use it. I don't even know what half of the words are! I am a 71 year old PLAYER! NOT a frickin programmer for god's sake.
    Microsoft help menus are sh-t. they are ridiculous, cryptic and confusing to me.
    A simple answer to my question would have been greatly appreciated.

12. masaykh

masaykh Prince

ok )

then short answer game till 921 rev use cache from standart place :)

for long answer i can make picture guide for you - if you need it.
    And sorry if i said something wrong, i only wanted to help :)

13. Afforess

Afforess The White Wizard

Nobody did anything to the cache. Why would we? The cache works fine the way it's been.

14. Noyyau

Noyyau Privateer Captain

I think that when updating with the launcher, the program deletes the entire cache folder, not simply its contents. It doesn't make any difference anyway, since the game recreates it at the next startup.

Meaning: if you updated with the launcher but did not start the game yet, your link to the cache folder does not work because the folder has been deleted.

Try starting the game, exiting, and check if the cache folder is where it's supposed to be.

15. oldnooob

oldnooob Prince

@ Noyyau, thank you for the sensible advise. that is exactly what I did to restore the cache. The process of updating the mod from v909 to v921 placed a profile folder into the folder containing the cache which must have overwritten or replaced the cache folder. when I reloaded the mod I found the restored cache folder and the profile folder. It is a panic situation for me as I do not use the launcher to start the game and I delete the cache immediately after closing the mod because my computer barely runs the large worlds that I play in and I always forget to delete it at startup..

16. dbkblk

dbkblk Emperor

@oldnoob: As Noyyau said, the launcher delete the cache folder entirely. There is an option to not use cache at startup. Open CivilizationIV.ini (In My Games) and set DisableFileCaching and DisableCaching to 1.

17. oldnooob

oldnooob Prince

the most sensible thing I've heard all day.

18. Caymon

Caymon Chieftain

Hello, is there a way for me to modify the XML (or do a simple Python coding task) to raise tech costs by a certain percentage per city that a player controls? I would really like to balance out the game, and this would be one way. Thanks.

19. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

Not so easy, but why would you like to do it? Research depends on a lot of factors including mapsize, gamespeed and handicap. If there's a problem, can you post a save, tell me which options you're using and where the problem is. I'm trying to balance the game as much as possible.

20. Caymon

Caymon Chieftain

I think you guys have done a good job balancing the game considering the vast amount of content and complexity :)

It's just that when I (or an AI) becomes the largest nation on the world they tend to be very far ahead in research. So this, particularly if I am the largest civ, makes the game kind of feeling not challenging (this usually occurs during the medieval or renaissance - ancient and classical is a very good game). More cities means more research, even with maintenance considered. Thus, bigger civs are bound to get ahead.

Also, in many cases, particularly if I am lucky with grabbing a lot of wonders, I am able to run Republic (usually in the second half of the game), which I know is generally meant for small civs. So that means I get the same research bonuses as the smaller civs, with the benefits of running a larger civ. Somehow I end up with plenty of gold, so Republic is feasible. I typically play on Monarch Difficulty, with flexible difficulty.

Btw, the AI has improved exponentially since the last few updates. I actually have to worry about war now in the game :) Nice stuff you guys are doing! I've had AI stacks of 55 musketmen and 25 catapults come at me before, and this has caused more than a few cities lost. This is with aggressive AI when I tried it. Love it!