General A New Dawn discussion

I can't remember if there's a mechanic for eliminating AI civs that have no cities.In my current game there are two civs that have survived for several turns.Furthermore, one of these two "cityless":lol: civs doesn't seem to have any units on the map.

I can't remember if there's a mechanic for eliminating AI civs that have no cities.In my current game there are two civs that have survived for several turns.Furthermore, one of these two "cityless"[emoji38] civs doesn't seem to have any units on the map.
They should be removed after 10 turns IIRC

Hi guys,

I have a little, well lets call it "balancing problem". I play on the worldmap with the germans on King Difficult. I conquered Europe now and parts of russia. I have ~ 20 citys and its 1100 AD. My best units are musketeers, dragoons and bombards. So whats the problem? The problem is, that i research on 90% + 10% culture and have +1000 gold per turn! ATM i have over 100k Gold in my treasure!

Dont get me wrong, its a great mod, but isnt this a bit... unbalanced? Or should i go a few steps higher on the difficult level?

Well, firstly you started in Europe on a real-world map, which is probably unbalancing anyway. Secondly, try using Flexible Difficulty for both you and the AI in the BUG options.

Hi guys,

I have a little, well lets call it "balancing problem". I play on the worldmap with the germans on King Difficult. I conquered Europe now and parts of russia. I have ~ 20 citys and its 1100 AD. My best units are musketeers, dragoons and bombards. So whats the problem? The problem is, that i research on 90% + 10% culture and have +1000 gold per turn! ATM i have over 100k Gold in my treasure!

Dont get me wrong, its a great mod, but isnt this a bit... unbalanced? Or should i go a few steps higher on the difficult level?
Earth map should have a separate balance, it's really hard to balance it against other mapscripts. That said, which settings are you using? Gamespeed and mapsize especially. Larger maps and slower speeds are still a bit out of balance.

45°38'N-13°47'E;13724277 said:
Earth map should have a separate balance, it's really hard to balance it against other mapscripts. That said, which settings are you using? Gamespeed and mapsize especially. Larger maps and slower speeds are still a bit out of balance.

I use Marathon Speed and gigantic mapsize. I activated flexible difficult a few turns ago, atm its on immortal.

I am curious to know what is the purpose of the small diameter bomb as it seems to have two characteristics that are self defeating and meaningless.
1. + 50% strength, what does that mean? 50% of what? on a one shot missile.

2. -10% damage, why? the small diameter bomb in RL has multiple highly advanced targeting systems meant to achieve a higher kill rate.

I don't know what kind of "strength" a guided missile is "supposed" to have but if "strength" is required then the small diameter bomb promotion should give at least a bonus to survivability and an additional bonus to target damage as well, NOT less damage.

or so it seems to me.

I use Marathon Speed and gigantic mapsize. I activated flexible difficult a few turns ago, atm its on immortal.

To give its best, Flexible Difficulty and Flexible AI should be used straight from the start. Usually human players perform too well in early eras, catching every wonder and this is helping A LOT against AI. I also suggest checking difficulty every 10 turns as per default.

45°38'N-13°47'E;13724802 said:
To give its best, Flexible Difficulty and Flexible AI should be used straight from the start. Usually human players perform too well in early eras, catching every wonder and this is helping A LOT against AI. I also suggest checking difficulty every 10 turns as per default.

Unrelated to the above, but I have been playing with Flexible Difficulty and Flexible AI quite a bit and I have been supprised how rarely the difficulty is changed. In particular once one civ gets a big lead it seems very hard for any other civ to reduce difficulty. I have guessed this is because the 1 civ in the lead is resulting in a large standard deviation, which means mean - 1.5*SD is very low. I wonder if you have considered using median and MAD instead of mean and SD. I think that would stop 1 single civ from influencing it so much, but I could be wrong.

I think the score should also better reflects the actual domination.
@45°: Do you know in which part of the code the scoreboard calculation lives in ?

Unrelated to the above, but I have been playing with Flexible Difficulty and Flexible AI quite a bit and I have been supprised how rarely the difficulty is changed. In particular once one civ gets a big lead it seems very hard for any other civ to reduce difficulty. I have guessed this is because the 1 civ in the lead is resulting in a large standard deviation, which means mean - 1.5*SD is very low. I wonder if you have considered using median and MAD instead of mean and SD. I think that would stop 1 single civ from influencing it so much, but I could be wrong.

I also noticed that difficulty is rarely changed once a civ gets really far ahead, especially for that first place runaway.

In my last game I remained at Immortal though I had more than double the score of both 2nd and 3rd place civs together.

45°38'N-13°47'E;13724848 said:
Actually in my test games top civ was changing very frequently. It might depend either on frequency check or on max/min Handicap level.

Sorry I should have been clearer. When I got a good lead my score would rapidly rise to top, but I would expect that a civ that had a loads lower score than the others would be helped by having their difficulty reduced but this did not happen.

That's different, human players being in the lead and staying there is another kind of problem. But frankly that depends on a lot of factors (i.e. options). In my latest games I seldom keep the lead.

In my last game I remained at Immortal though I had more than double the score of both 2nd and 3rd place civs together.
Are you sure you haven't capped it at Immortal ? I find the flexible diff settings misleading. You have to select "No maximum" for the maximum because if you set "Deity", that will be "Deity-1".

I think the score should also better reflects the actual domination.
@45°: Do you know in which part of the code the scoreboard calculation lives in ?
When I can check, I'll tell you; it's probably in CvGame but don't take my word on this yet.

@45: Do you know how the sign placement work when there is an event ? (EDIT: Nevermind, i've found it in EventSigns.py. Obvious :D) We have an issue there because the text in signs uses the Gamefont but non-default language cannot render chars in Gamefont. I need to look at the code.

About signs, what do you think about removing the current caption and just set "+2" and an icon (food, hammer, etc...) and removing the name ? It would make the event sign fully compatible and universal to understand.

About signs, what do you think about removing the current caption and just set "+2" and an icon (food, hammer, etc...) and removing the name ? It would make the event sign fully compatible and universal to understand.

I like it :)

Top Bottom