General A New Dawn discussion

I also do not like 1UPT. But it's optional, so to each their own.

It's not optional in Civ5 though, but that's just one of several changes in 5 I didn't like :lol:
At least it's optional in AND though, but I don't see what's so thrilling and exciting about tiles being limited to a single unit and no more. To each their own as you say :)

I've played one game, I played unlimited units per tile, huge map.

The Barbarians would come in with stacks of 200-400 units, the AI's couldn't stand up to them.

I wiped out one or 2 civs on my continent, that had been decimated by the Barbs, but on the 2nd continent, I looked in world builder. No one survived at all. It was TOTALLY covered in Barbarian units, virtually 95% of the tiles.

I myself, only could survive and expand, due to fortified great generals, who would gain 100+ points of experience per battle.

I had to Garrison border cities, with 50+ Troops, behind rushed high walls, you couldn't build any improvements, it was no fun at all.

Ever since that experiment, I've been a fan of the UPT limitation. If you want big battles of units, just set it higher.

I myself find that 30 it a good figure to use, mix of siege, assault troops and some Calvary fits well, with the Medical corps.

15 ~ 30 or etc would be far preferable to 1UPT.

@IPEX: Sheesh, haven't had a game like that in ages! A highlands game where some AI were wiped out by barbs, and expansion was a deadly matter, but after the long hard battle against the barbarians was won, it felt very rewarding - and the few surviving AIs ended up being monsters :lol:

I have a feature suggestion. Is it possible that you guys could add a "Just Produced: [Item]" directly in the City Screen? This would be for when the popup for choosing production option is ON. In large empires, it could be hard to remember what I just produced if the interface doesn't tell me.

I really do like the option in New Dawn Settings to bypass the little popup, since I ALWAYS go directly into the city screen when I choose production. Otherwise it is just a lot of clicking "Examine City" which gets kind of tedious.

On a related note, is it possible for the production chooser in the city screen to default to the building category? (As an option.) In my cities I commonly choose buildings more often than units. If I choose units I just set them on Infinite, so it's simple. It is much more common for me to choose production on buildings. Having the default on the building section would eliminate another step of clicking (the little building category button). That is a large part of the game for me too.

I had to Garrison border cities, with 50+ Troops, behind rushed high walls, you couldn't build any improvements, it was no fun at all.use, mix of siege, assault troops and some Calvary fits well, with the Medical corps.
Have you played with dechained barbarians? I guess revolutions was off, else the barbarians would have emerged. The AI is not really sensitive to barbarian anymore. I need to recode that. I have simple ideas how to do that but no time this week end.
So, what was no fun is the need to overprotect borders?

It looks like a nightmare epic movie with barbarians everywhere :x

PS: I play with 5 UPT as 1 is way too low. Sometimes I also disable the limit for more action.

Have you played with dechained barbarians? I guess revolutions was off, else the barbarians would have emerged. The AI is not really sensitive to barbarian anymore. I need to recode that. I have simple ideas how to do that but no time this week end.
So, what was no fun is the need to overprotect borders?

It looks like a nightmare epic movie with barbarians everywhere :x

PS: I play with 5 UPT as 1 is way too low. Sometimes I also disable the limit for more action.

Yeah I'd find a game like that really exciting. If you know full well you're going to win a game, where's the fun?
However, there's also that element of frustration that everyone feels when your only metal resource keeps getting disconnected the turn you finish it because of barbarians heh.

I remember having to do the same though in my dreaded Highlands game. Even into the late Industrial, barbarians posed a threat to wandering units from sheer numbers alone (The ENTIRE northeast quadrant of the map belonged solely to the barbarian state) while the three remaining civilizations of note butted heads - the Turks, the Americans, and myself - with America slowly deteriorating from Turkish forces throwing themselves at border cities and internal destabilization from overexpanding and mischief caused by spies. Revolutions caused the empire to fall apart, and what wasn't taken by the Turks were split into new civilizations.

So it was in essence just me and the Turks. Which was already a tough ride - I fortified a defensive ridge near some recently claimed cities and dug in with a few generals, gatling guns, and lots and lots of siege-and-air support. While prolonged war like that might not appeal to some, trying to hold this larger nation back like that was certainly more entertaining in the long run than having a game where it was 'slightly difficult' up until the Post-Medieval and then a matter of mopping up afterwards. We entered the Modern Era before they finally began to peter out and started suffering from revolutions (Which he promptly crushed each time, but with his forces busy with those.... :mischief: )

That ridge wasn't just a few tiles either. It was several dozen tiles long, with fortresses every several spaces for the Biplanes to cover a wider range, with a large group of soldiers placed wherever they could find defensive covering. It wasn't just a skirmish, it was war :lol:

I never did get to finish that game, and I never did have an experience like that since. With the recent additions to the Barbarian side of things lately, I sincerely hope I can stumble across a game like that again - since it was one of the most interesting and unique games of AND I had ever played, largely because of the Barbarian Influence.

Then again, I've always liked the barbarians heh, most of my BTS games I'd always play with Raging Barbarians on and while it certainly was frustrating at times, it made for a much more 'lively' game :king:

How do i fix it so the RFC mod in AND will have the civs start in reall locations and not random ones, thx for reading. THIS MOD IS AWESOME!

By 'RFC' I'm guessing you mean the Culturally Linked Starts....?
Far as I know the only way you're going to get non-random starts is by playing a preset Scenario with preset starting locations - starting a Custom Game on a randomly generated map will always put civilizations in.... Well, random locations.

Well now, here's a nice one-sided relationship :lol:

pleased-furious.jpg

Yeah I'd find a game like that really exciting. If you know full well you're going to win a game, where's the fun?
However, there's also that element of frustration that everyone feels when your only metal resource keeps getting disconnected the turn you finish it because of barbarians heh.

I remember having to do the same though in my dreaded Highlands game. Even into the late Industrial, barbarians posed a threat to wandering units from sheer numbers alone (The ENTIRE northeast quadrant of the map belonged solely to the barbarian state) while the three remaining civilizations of note butted heads - the Turks, the Americans, and myself - with America slowly deteriorating from Turkish forces throwing themselves at border cities and internal destabilization from overexpanding and mischief caused by spies. Revolutions caused the empire to fall apart, and what wasn't taken by the Turks were split into new civilizations.

So it was in essence just me and the Turks. Which was already a tough ride - I fortified a defensive ridge near some recently claimed cities and dug in with a few generals, gatling guns, and lots and lots of siege-and-air support. While prolonged war like that might not appeal to some, trying to hold this larger nation back like that was certainly more entertaining in the long run than having a game where it was 'slightly difficult' up until the Post-Medieval and then a matter of mopping up afterwards. We entered the Modern Era before they finally began to peter out and started suffering from revolutions (Which he promptly crushed each time, but with his forces busy with those.... :mischief: )

That ridge wasn't just a few tiles either. It was several dozen tiles long, with fortresses every several spaces for the Biplanes to cover a wider range, with a large group of soldiers placed wherever they could find defensive covering. It wasn't just a skirmish, it was war :lol:

I never did get to finish that game, and I never did have an experience like that since. With the recent additions to the Barbarian side of things lately, I sincerely hope I can stumble across a game like that again - since it was one of the most interesting and unique games of AND I had ever played, largely because of the Barbarian Influence.

Then again, I've always liked the barbarians heh, most of my BTS games I'd always play with Raging Barbarians on and while it certainly was frustrating at times, it made for a much more 'lively' game :king:

That sounds like a fantastic game!

Barbarians do need a lot of empty unclaimed land to spawn, so an all land map like Highlands works great for that.

Barb civs must be off though, otherwise you'd simply get lots of new civs popping up all over the place, and the barbarians would disappear at some point.

A general question for the devs regarding the AI unit hit points.
Question; in the process of balancing ( or "polishing") the mod has the AI unit hitpoints been increased to a higher level than the player unit hitpoints for the same unit?

The reason for this question is because I am experiencing losses from inferior AI units across the board. Example: My unit has three defense promotions and is fortified in a city or hill (+25%) an is killed by an AI unit of the same type with two speed updates. consistently.

This is particularly noticeable with naval units where I am stationary with three power upgrades and am attacked by the same AI unit with two speed upgrades. My unit loses almost every time.

The answer I am looking for is either ,
Yes the AI hitpoints have been increased to be superior to the player's unit of the same type.
No the AI's units have not been modified to be superior to the player's units.

This information will help me to engage battles with the appropriate force level.

Question; in the process of balancing ( or "polishing") the mod has the AI unit hitpoints been increased to a higher level than the player unit hitpoints for the same unit?

The reason for this question is because I am experiencing losses from inferior AI units across the board. Example: My unit has three defense promotions and is fortified in a city or hill (+25%) an is killed by an AI unit of the same type with two speed updates. consistently.

This is particularly noticeable with naval units where I am stationary with three power upgrades and am attacked by the same AI unit with two speed upgrades. My unit loses almost every time.

Yes the AI hitpoints have been increased to be superior to the player's unit of the same type.

This information will help me to engage battles with the appropriate force level.

No...

No. There is nothing changed regarding hitpoints. Maybe you encounter this because the AI builds more military oriented buildings and have more XP out of the box (just a guess).

No. We wouldn't give the AI a handicap like that in the first place, that would make the AI nearly unbeatable.

Where can the new "unhappiness from number of cities" malus be modified? It's really harsh to have +1 :mad: per city! I'd like to try it with 1/2 :mad: per city

Where can the new "unhappiness from number of cities" malus be modified? It's really harsh to have +1 :mad: per city! I'd like to try it with 1/2 :mad: per city

It's not +1 per city. It depends on the world size.

On tiny it's +1/2 per city. Small it's 1/3. Standard it's 1/4. Large it's 1/5.... etc.

It's in the WorldInfos.xml.

From the XML, tiny maps:
Code:
<iNumCitiesUnhappinessDivisor>2</iNumCitiesUnhappinessDivisor>

On tiny it's +1/2 per city. Small it's 1/3. Standard it's 1/4. Large it's 1/5.... etc.

From the XML, tiny maps:
Code:

Does it keep scaling down for size overrides?

From the XML, tiny maps:
Code:

All right, thanks for the info.

I guess I miscounted, since I can't actually see how many :mad: I get from this line as it's obscured by a long "TXT_KEY_..."

EDIT:
This is what I see. The map is Large, and I have only 2 cities, so the malus should be 2/5= 0.4 which rounds up to 1 :mad: ?

However If you count all the other :mad:s, they add up to 8, that's why it seems that I'm getting 2:mad: from the "empire size" malus, and since I have 2 cities...

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0016.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0016.JPG
    232.6 KB · Views: 188
Are you running Conscription or the other civic that hands out unhappiness per city?

Top Bottom