General OOS Help

DomariNolo

Chieftain
Hey guys,

I have been playing multiplayer C2C for a while now, up to v28 at this point and from time to time get OOS errors. Usually, a restart can fix the problem for a few turns until it happens again. Lately, I've had a few that are tricky to get through.

So I was wondering: are there any general guidelines to help avoid OOS errors? Are there any options that should be turned ON, turned OFF, any tricks during startup, network settings, config file modifications, or best practices for reducing the number of OOS errors one might encounter?

Just thought it would be helpful to get some tips. Thanks.

As it says in the FAQs thread you need logging and some logging options enabled. Read there to see specifically what is needed for MP OOS tracking.

Just a warning: OOS errors are nothing you've done, are not a random happenstance, are purely a problem in the code, and are HELL to try to figure out how to fix! We also have only one person on the team who's really good with getting rid of them and he's still on a bit of a break period.

Additionally, I do know of one situation I created for some games and fixing it is a priority but it'll still be a little bit before I go to tackle it since its still a rather complex fix and the other numerous OOS situations are still out there and beyond my skill to resolve.

Totally cool - I know that desyncs are a plague when it comes to multiplayer games (I am in the industry). I just remembered a while back, probably when I was playing AND, that there were "best practices" to reduce them (or maybe I am imagining it, but it seemed to work). One was turning off revolutions and random events. I think maybe turning vassals off helped as well, if memory serves.

We're actually going to restart a new game because I goofed and started the game in the ancient era and missed out on all the great prehistoric content. So no harm done really. We're going to try turning off random events and vassals and see if it appears to make any difference. Probably won't have any quantitative proof that it helps, but it never hurts to experiment. If I find anything or notice a pattern, I'll report it - sometimes it gives clues as to where the problems are hiding.

Top Bottom