Get the patch!

Status
Not open for further replies.
AlanH and Bazzalisk, thanks for the comments. So it looks like it IS worth trying a virgin user account before doing the full reinstall and completely changing the way I use the computer. If it is just preferences or caches that is simple enough to fix. Would there be any cache or preference files not in the User directories? Would it be a fair test to continue with one of my games in progress or should I start a new one?

DaveBaum said:
So, based on my experience so far, the patch is incompatible with 10.4.5 and 10.4.6. Performance is good, sounds are better (but not complete), and there is still some nasty bug that locked up my machine.

Yeah, as far as the sounds go, upgrading to 10.4.7 is definitely the way to go. You should not be missing any sounds - even unit battles - with this patch and 10.4.7. You'll still have some missing sounds with 10.4.6 and lower, but Civ4 is now optimized for 10.4.7 and should work best there.

Can you double-check that you are still missing sounds under 10.4.7?

NoMan said:
I started a service tag with Aspyr regarding the new patching causing my MBP to freeze.

If you are seeing freezing on an Intel Mac with a Radeon x1600 (which the MacBook Pro has), then that's a known kernel-panic issue.

Notes on how to get around this are included with the patch, but to recap: you can greatly reduce the incidences by making sure that anti-aliasing is set to 0 (in the Advanced Options->Graphics settings) and by running in a window. We're working with Apple and ATI on a fix for this particular issue.

Brad Oliver said:
If you are seeing freezing on an Intel Mac with a Radeon x1600 (which the MacBook Pro has), then that's a known kernel-panic issue.

Notes on how to get around this are included with the patch, but to recap: you can greatly reduce the incidences by making sure that anti-aliasing is set to 0 (in the Advanced Options->Graphics settings) and by running in a window. We're working with Apple and ATI on a fix for this particular issue.
Good to see there's hope for a fix. Strange I never had any problems with the beta patch, or maybe I was just lucky. I do have anti-alias set = 0. Frankly, I'd rather stick with the beta patch, and miss the sounds, than play in windowed mode and not be able to (easily) scroll the map.

using a 1.8 ghz dual g5 powermac with os 10.3.9:

The first beta patch made things go a lot better, (not perfect though) but this new patch gave me even more sound problems than I had in the first place: Lots of buzzing that hurts in the ear, and sounds only playing for the first half a second and then sudddenly stopping, making a very iritating "pok" sound.

So for me this patch his a step back.

oLO said:
thanks for the quick reply
Sorry to tell, but I´m on 10.3.9 and read it was approved as compatible OS , Brad ?

It is, but the fixed sounds require the version of OpenAL that Apple ships with 10.4.7.

so I`m ought to buy me a new os to play it ?

that would s..k big big time

I know you guys are taking advantage of the new OS features asap, but this reply just crushed my joy big time.

Any chance for a 10.3 adaption ?

10.4 was the most unstabile X so far btw and I knew many who regretted switching so early.

Pls tell me I´m not stuck with the beta patch.....

oLO said:
I know you guys are taking advantage of the new OS features asap, but this reply just crushed my joy big time.

In this case, it's more like we're taking advantage of OS bug fixes. ;)

Apple hasn't (yet) released the source for the OpenAL they're using in 10.4.7, but one of the things I hope to investigate is if we can retrofit those fixes (o the entire OpenAL in 10.4.7) back to the version we're using under 10.3.9.

Brad,

Any comments on the annoying buzzing/popping or whatever sounds that seem to persist in the patched version? (For example, when I started a new game I had a droning sound like a bagpipe for at least a minute - loud, annoying, and definitely not musical. There are also the popping sounds that come and go.) Are these just aborted attempts to play sounds or is there some deeper malaise infecting the program?

Skippy_Kangaroo said:
Are these just aborted attempts to play sounds or is there some deeper malaise infecting the program?

What appears to be happening is that it's playing sounds whose buffers have been released. I haven't gotten much further with it; I spent a few hours trying to reproduce it week before last and of course couldn't get it to happen. It seems allergic to the debugger, because I had it happen again this morning when I was just playing normally.

Brad Oliver said:
What appears to be happening is that it's playing sounds whose buffers have been released. I haven't gotten much further with it; I spent a few hours trying to reproduce it week before last and of course couldn't get it to happen. It seems allergic to the debugger, because I had it happen again this morning when I was just playing normally.

Ah well, that's halfway there. If it's happening on your computer that's good (in a roundabout kind of way). Next step - happening reproducably.

Brad Oliver said:
I hope to investigate is if we can retrofit those fixes (o the entire OpenAL in 10.4.7) back to the version we're using under 10.3.9.

If I could bring you a coffee or anything to speed things up..... ;)

Withdrawel is a terrible thing and now reinstalling the whole thing because I cant remove the patch is ugly aswell

PS: Pls put up the beta patch somewhere again ,thanks

:cry: :sad: :sad:

oLO

Brad Oliver said:
Yeah, as far as the sounds go, upgrading to 10.4.7 is definitely the way to go. You should not be missing any sounds - even unit battles - with this patch and 10.4.7. You'll still have some missing sounds with 10.4.6 and lower, but Civ4 is now optimized for 10.4.7 and should work best there.

Can you double-check that you are still missing sounds under 10.4.7?

Ambient sounds were flaky at one point (lots of buzzing), so I turned them off. This may have been before my 10.4.7 upgrade. After turning them back on they seem to be ok - at least for the 15 minutes or so that I tested it.

I get some battle sounds, but I don't think they are complete (although I don't really know exactly what to expect).

For example, I attack a lion and I get a battle sound for my attack, or a grunt if I get hit, but don't hear any corresponding "lion" sound. Nor is there any sort of "victory" sound when I win the battle.

Then later I'm near an enemy city, and the enemy attacks me (and I lose) ... no battle sound at all, but then a clipped sound at the end that I think is the national sound for the enemy - perhaps signifying that he won the battle.

Barbarian attacks me - complete silence during battle, but then a sound at the end after I won.

These were just a few quick tests, but it still feels a bit inconsistient to me on what sounds I can hear.

I can send you more details on my machine if you want, but it shouldn't be that unusual...pretty much a brand new MBP from Apple with 10.4.5, that I upgraded last night with the Combo update to 10.4.7. I don't think I've added anything else at the system level - just a few apps. I haven't updated to QuickTime 7.1.2 yet, so that may be a difference. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Dave

It would have been nice to have a warning that the patch only works with 10.4.7... I have 10.3.9 and don't have the money to upgrade since I upgraded my video card to the radeon x800 (which didn't make much of a difference over the geforce 5200, which I'm guessing means there is still huge performance problems with this game on g5's). Now I have the choice of playing the game on mute or uninstalling the game, reinstalling, and then going back to the beta patch, if it's still around.

I have 10.4.7 and a dual G5 2 gig. Ambient sounds work better with this patch, but no battle sounds yet. I got the blackening problem... zoomed out and zoomed in, but the problem persisted..> I had to restart.

It's better, but not there yet.

Thanks for working with us!

Brad, care to comment the status of this new patch? Howcome Aspyr hasn't posted it on their web site?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom