Get the patch!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I applied the patch and got an alert message that it wouldn't run on my unsupported MacBook, then it ran just fine in single player mode. I realize I won't get the full Civ IV experience until I get a Mac Pro, but maybe, just maybe, "multiplayer" should be added to the alert. Why is Aspyr so determined to reduce their sales? :confused:

There's a popping sound everytime a sound is supposed to play... except for that noise, the game is silent....

The sound just cut out on me with a loud "BZZ!" Prior to that, it had been playing pretty good. The game I have under way is one I started *prior* to applying the "A" patch, if that has any bearing on the issue.

Also, there's still graphical corruption in the "flag" window and the "unit details" window. The "unit details" corruption seems to come and go, and sometimes appears when you move a unit in a certain direction. The "flag" window is empty now ... the Egyptian flag no longer appears there.

I have a top-of-the-line Intel iMac with 2G RAM, 256MB VRAM, 250GB HD, the latest 10.4.7 OS and so on.

Furthermore, I have anti-aliasing OFF, am playing in WINDOWED mode and the graphic quality is set to MEDIUM for everything.

This game certainly has promise. Too bad it has yet to fully show it.

Gatekeeper

@jdevo: Even my paltry system manages to play unit sounds, plus (intermittent) music. It seems like you have a specific problem, and you ought to contact Aspyr support to try to resolve it.

AlanH said:
It's your post, so you could update it!!!!

Anyway, I've done something. Feel free to fix it if you feel it isn't the way you'd like it.

LOL! That is true! Sorry. :)

Actually Thunderfall wrote that little blub and added the nice linking. My real original post was just a ink to the InsideMacGames.com story about the beta patch. Just kinda forgot that the post bore my name... :lol:

JoAT

Heh. Well, music is now back ... in fact, came back not long after I exited to the main menu. So the issue is an intermittent one at most. Personally, I've had the music cut out like that only twice since I first started playing last week.

One thing that does annoy me is the fact that you have to move your cursor to get tile information, even if you have an active unit on said tile. I suppose I could toggle the "see tile resources" option on, but that clutters up and already fairly busy-looking screen.

Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper said:
I have a top-of-the-line Intel iMac with 2G RAM, 256MB VRAM, 250GB HD, the latest 10.4.7 OS and so on.

Furthermore, I have anti-aliasing OFF, am playing in WINDOWED mode and the graphic quality is set to MEDIUM for everything.
Whereas I have perfect sound and graphics, with the same setup but AA and graphics at max. Very odd.

Hmm. Well, I haven't even tried to turn anti-aliasing ON or turn up the graphics to MAXIMUM since installing the final patch. What does AA do, and is there a big difference between MEDIUM and MAXIMUM graphics? Regarding windows mode, I play that just because I like to multitask.

Gatekeeper

Beamup said:
Whereas I have perfect sound and graphics, with the same setup but AA and graphics at max. Very odd.
Have you had problems with Kernel panics? I turned AA and full screen off because of the panic issue. Has the full patch fixed those issues? Or did you not have them in the first place?

I had the popping issue with the patch and then updated from 10.4.6 to 10.4.7 and it seems I don't have any problems...

can someone post the build #? I'm not sure it's updating properly, my reads out as 45604 but I'm not noticing any real speed increase.

lateralis said:
can someone post the build #? I'm not sure it's updating properly, my reads out as 45604 but I'm not noticing any real speed increase.
Mine says 9565. Check your CPU usage on the speed increase front. If you have a dual CPU setup and it is at about 100% rather than 180% you have at least part of the patch working properly.

The Get Info on mine says Version: 1.61 (v9565). I'm not sure where you're getting that number from, but I think the one I'm looking at is the relevant one for the Mac version.

ok, I got it working now. had to move it to my applications folder on the main drive for the update to happen

I've been using the beta patch since it came out without problems. No unit sounds of course. Applied the latest patch and started playing. Full sounds as far as I can tell, although I haven't had any battles yet. BUT after about an hour of play everything completely locked up. I had to press the power button to force a restart. I was viewing a city screen when it happened. I have a 2.16 GHz MBP with 2 GB RAM, playing at highest graphics setting with 0 antialias and full screen mode. I'm using clamshell mode with an external 19" display. I have 10.4.7 (correct update).

I'm getting the popping sound as well. Its really quite annoying. I have a dual 1.8 G5. 1mb ram. OS 10.3.9. I'll try messing around a bit and see what I can find out.

Edit: from what I can figure out each pop is the sound cutting in and out. Turning off various sound options stops it for a bit, but no more than about 10 seconds.

well i've played for the last 3ish hours and all I have to say is:

so THAT'S what a battle sounds like ;)

CPU usage is down a bit but the sounds are wonderful, like playing a whole new game!

jdevo said:
More Problems... Sound is worse than before, there is occasional sound of music and units, but it goes in and out with a clicking sound whenever you move the camera or zoom out. It sort of sounds like the sound that the needle of a record player makes when you put it on the record.

I experience exactly the same! It seems to me that the Beta Patch worked much better. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom