1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Get the patch!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Macintosh' started by JoAT, Jul 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boer

Boer Chieftain

At the time I am writing this, there is nothing but the beta patch on Aspyr's web site. So either you guys went for a hoax or the new patch got pulled.

2. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Chieftain

For the first time, I noticed the "black ice" that others have commented on. And, like with the others, a game reset got rid of the effect. It's actually kind of neat-looking ... but it really should be fixed nonetheless.

Gatekeeper

3. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Chieftain

OK, I think it's safe to say that the alpha patch isn't quite up to snuff: For the second time tonight, the music/sound cut out with a loud "BZZT!"

I will hold Aspyr responsible if the computer's speaker system is damaged in any fashion by this bug. Not to mention the fact that it almost makes me jump when I'm playing along and, out of the blue, a loud "BZZT!" comes from out of the computer.

Gatekeeper

4. Skippy_Kangaroo

Skippy_Kangaroo Prince of Denmark

For some bizarre reason the files show up on macgamefiles first. No idea what's up with that, but the same thing happened with the beta patch as well. It was a while before they posted it to the Aspyr website.

5. Beamup

Beamup Higgs boson

Windowed mode fixes them. You don't have to turn AA off and run in a window - just one or the other.

6. gfeier

gfeier Chieftain

That's my experience too - no problems yet running in windowed mode.

7. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

You may be interested in this post - by a Windows player (I think).

8. Sam_Yeager

Sam_Yeager Another Original Geezer

Undoubtedly by a Windows player since the subject matter is Warlords which is not available for Mac. :)

9. NoMan

NoMan Chieftain

Another crash with the new patch. I won't play in windowed mode since it is too hard to scroll. So the choices are reinstall and reapply beta patch or boot camp. I'll choose boot camp and hope Aspyr comes up with a real patch. If this is it, I'll be asking for my money back. :mad:

10. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Chieftain

AlanH:

The sound issue I'm experiencing with the alpha patch is the same that others have experienced on and off as well, except in my case it's popped up since the alpha patch was applied.

Interesting, though, that a similar issue seems to be affecting Windows players using the Warlord XP.

Gatekeeper

11. Bazzalisk

Bazzalisk Chieftain

Odd bug I notice.

Although the sound now works and the version listed in the Info box in finder is "1.61 (v9565)" when loading the game and selecting "Advanced -> About this Build" it still lists itself as "1.6.1.1841 (45604)".

Not a major bug, obviously, but strange nonetheless.

12. jsurpless

jsurpless Chieftain

Sounds are much improved... who knew how much I was missing... but... I still get the persistent buzzing sound for no particular reason...

-----------

Seems it has something to do with the 'Ambience' sound... I clicked it off and the annoying (almost persistently on) goes away

13. AlanH

My guess is that this is the build state that comes with the Firaxis code that Aspyr work with. That will not change until Firaxis issue a new version to Aspyr.

14. DaveBaum

DaveBaum Chieftain

The latest patch (build v9565) still has some issues...

On a Dual 2.3 PowerMac running 10.4.6: Performance is better than unpatched, sounds are a bit flaky. Initially there are lots of sounds (interface, effects, ambient, music), but then most of them go away and I hear "pops" instead. Occasionally I get sound, but mostly it is just pops.

On a MacBook Pro running 10.4.5: same experience as the PowerMac.

After updating the MBP to 10.4.7: no more pops. Lots of sounds, but I think there are still a few missing (such as battle sounds). I had a complete lock-up on the Mac after about an hour of play. I was running windowed.

So, based on my experience so far, the patch is incompatible with 10.4.5 and 10.4.6. Performance is good, sounds are better (but not complete), and there is still some nasty bug that locked up my machine.

Dave

15. Skippy_Kangaroo

Skippy_Kangaroo Prince of Denmark

That's pretty much my experience:

I've had a kernel panic even though running windowed with AA turned off.

Early on I've had an annoying sound that sounds like the drone from a bagpipe only worse.

Later I've had nasty clicking or popping sounds from my right speaker.

But I did hear distinctly Japanese sounds from my settlers when they built a city, and the battle between my tank and some riflemen had some appropriate sounds too.

Current grade is 50% - passing, but only barely. A big "needs improvement" on this report card.

16. Zaimejs

Zaimejs Chieftain

For some reason I completely missed the second patch until tonight. I just played a bit... only a short game. Seems faster. Had ambient sounds right off which was nice. Had one of the buzzing incidents... I'm not sure what sound it was trying to make, but it lasted for about ten seconds, then cut off.

17. NoMan

NoMan Chieftain

I started a service tag with Aspyr regarding the new patching causing my MBP to freeze. They responded with:
    This seems like nonsense to me. I'm not at home so I can't be sure but I don't remember an Installer for the game and the game is installed in /Applications not at the root level. And if I can't use the external monitor (in clamshell mode) I'd rather use the beta patch or use Boot Camp and ask for a refund.

However it did make me think the problems could be:
    1. Installing the MacGames patch on top of the beta patch. Maybe I should replace the beta patch .app file with the one from the DVD and apply the MacGames patch to that.
    OR (less likely)
    2. Games started with the unpatched or beta-patched app have problems with the full patch app.

18. Queue

Queue Chieftain

I installed the new Patch yesterday and started a new game.
    Lage Map with 8 civs
    So far so good, No problems
    Sound appears to be working fine and speed is much better on my machine

I had the Buzzing problem with the Beta Patch and the game would lock up my computer to the point of hard reboot. These problems appear to be gone for me. More time will tell for sure

19. Bazzalisk

Bazzalisk Chieftain

As far as I can tell the "patch" actualy just replaces "Civilization IV.app" with a new copy.

20. AlanH

That's correct. I think that destroys the credibility of the rest of the advice.
    However, some of it is simply an overkill way of asking you to do a clean install, making sure there are no cached files or preferences anywhere. The "new account" stuff is just a sledgehammer to crack the possibility that you have stuff left in your ~/Library/Applications Support or ~/Library/Preferences or whatever.
    Nah! They just want to get you back to a pristine machine so that they can eliminate any complications that make your system config different from their test rigs. Then if it still doesn't work they can go from there.

Nope! The patch installer drops a new executable into your application folder. As far as I can tell that's all it does. It shouldn't be affected by your previous version, as long as there are no cached files or mods lying around that could display old errors.
    Nah! The file formats are identical.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.