1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Get the patch!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Macintosh' started by JoAT, Jul 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NoMan

NoMan Chieftain

I see a similar problem on the PC version. If you are in the city screen and roll over the Great People bar then go to a different city, it first shows you the GPP info for the first city until you roll over something else.

2. Drahkkael

Drahkkael Chieftain

i haven't even installed civ 4 yet because of the horror stories. i have a powermac dualcore 2 GHz G5 with 1.5 MB RAM. with this patch how playable do you think the game will be? will i be able to do large and huge maps with max AI? thanks in advance. pretty cool of aspyr to rush this out.

3. Zaimejs

Zaimejs Chieftain

what video card do you have? I'm playing ona a dual G5 2.0 and it runs pretty well. Gets slow at the end, but it's more than playable.

4. thanar

thanar Chieftain

The size of the map and the number of AIs should have none or minimal effect on performance. Civ 4 is much more graphics-subsystem-dependent than any previous Civ. At the same time, it seems that the Python-subsystem (the one that does the actual "thinking") has been greatly optimized, thus the effect of calculations (AI movement/decisions) should be nuisance.

However, as epochs go by, the game does get a bit slower, but I believe this is due to more units on the map (which means more polygons as well) and more complex graphics (buildings and units), which leads to the need of much more horsepower from the CPU and GPU for the 3D-subsystem, and thus the graphics (not the gameplay itself) gets a bit choppy. However, it is more than playable on the minimum recommended hardware.

Implementing an option to use fewer vertices/polygons in a later release would be much appreciated, for those with lower-than-the-minimum hardware, since it would speed up the graphics significanltly (am I a stuck mind, or what ;))!

5. Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver Civ3/4 Mac programmer

Without knowing what video card you are using, I'd guess very playable, IMO. You definitely need to grab our beta patch for Civ4 though.

6. floppymoose

floppymoose Chieftain

Beware: that config is the one I'm having trouble with. It works nicely for a while, and then suddenly gets very slow. Quitting, restarting, reloading hte game fixes it.... for a while.

I don't have this problem on the intel imac, just the dual G5.

I'm curious if anyone else is seeing this?

7. jamexeno

jamexeno Chieftain

I am playing my first game of CIV - everything seems to work ok except the things not fixed by the patch + the roll-over info bug mentioned in the posts above. But I am getting what seems to me like weird cultural borders from my neighbouring states, like the single spanish cultural "square" in this screenshot. I have tried to RTFM, but I can't see how this can happen on top of a single impassable peak. Is there someting obvious I have missed or is this a bug?

I am running a G5 quad 2.5 Mhz with 6.5 Gigs of RAM.

floppymoose: I am on a G5 and I have not experienced the slowdown you describe - yet.

8. NoMan

NoMan Chieftain

It's likely that you only have vision for the mountain. The borders have expanded elsewhere but you can't see it. Try moving a unit closer. I've been playing the Mac version for a while and haven't seen any bugs like this. Another possibility: sometimes when a city gets conquered it takes a turn or two for all the cultural borders to adjust, that happens in the PC version also. I think that's a feature not a bug.

The Mac performance on my MBP is at least as good as the PC performance under Boot Camp. The fans are on alot (constantly?). No crashes with the patch, highest graphic settings, 0 antialias, full screen (external 19" display). No unit sounds. I also have the rollover bug, but there is a similar bug in the PC version. It does seem to affect more rollovers on the Mac side.

9. Welnic

Welnic Chieftain

The single square with culture is just a fog of war effect. Once you see a square it still shows you the square grayed out, but it doesn't show you any changes since the last time you saw it. Then when you see it again it updates to its new status. If you move a unit where it can see the square directly to the south of the mountain that will also have culture.

When I have had problem with the rollover bug I have hit escape to bring up the options, and then when I exit from that the rollover is back.

10. jamexeno

jamexeno Chieftain

NoMan and Welnic: Thanks - you were quite right - the display was a consequence of fog of war and my viewing position. More spanish territory came into view as I moved a unit around. I was confused by the fact that the cultural border on the mountain was displayed as a closed form. I'm used to Civ III where cultural borders are just a line and if you see a second line beyond the first one, that's the end of the territory on the other side. The way its done in CIV makes it harder to judge the expanse of enemy territory - and I guess thats actually not a bad thing. :)

11. von Tirpitz

von Tirpitz Chieftain

12. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Well spotted :goodjob:

That looks like the official patch to supercede the beta patch we've been using.

Downloading now ... So is everyone else by the look of it. I'm only getting 30 kB/s instead of my usual 220 :(

13. JoAT

JoAT Chieftain

Alan, you may want to tweak the first post in the thread. The link to the MacGameFiles download apears to point to the correct spot (ie, the new official patch) but the verbage above the links needs updated.

JoAT

14. Beamup

Beamup Higgs boson

Sound, glorious sound! :D

15. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

It's your post, so you could update it!!!!

Anyway, I've done something. Feel free to fix it if you feel it isn't the way you'd like it.

16. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Chieftain

Will there be a "Read Me" with the patch that contains a more-detailed list of what the patch repairs?

Gatekeeper

17. Beamup

Beamup Higgs boson

There is not.

18. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Chieftain

Heh. Yeah, I just realized that upon completing the download ...

19. jdevo

jdevo Chieftain

More Problems... Sound is worse than before, there is occasional sound of music and units, but it goes in and out with a clicking sound whenever you move the camera or zoom out. It sort of sounds like the sound that the needle of a record player makes when you put it on the record.

20. Beamup

Beamup Higgs boson

That's odd. I now have all sounds, with no problems at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.