Getting around launch as Admin for mergers

OK. So I have a list of download locations for all versions, but I did not create an SVN until half way through the development of 0.9.8, so none of these are in the SVN. Would the best way to archive these in the tags directory be to delete the current version of LoR in the SVN (to start with a clean slate); then update each revision from the successively advancing versions, or would there be a simpler way?

If you really wanna go nuts, yes you can start from scratch and plug in each successive version:

1. Remove everything
  2. Commit first release files
  3. Tag
  4. Go to 2 until all releases committed
  5. Commit current versions
If you haven't been doing any development in SVN yet--meaning you just have the first set of checkins for the current source files, this is a good thing to do if you don't mind doing the legwork. If, however, you have been working in SVN with many commits, you'll "lose" all that logging. If it's not a lot, just weigh it against having things tagged.

In the end, I think the best thing about tags is that you can see the revision number where the release was made so you can see the commits that happened to each file between releases. Using those archived ZIPs you can already do a diff between versions. You don't have any commit messages between releases, so the tags will be only half useful for older releases. Consider this before doing the work of redoing your SVN.

I did not create an SVN until half way through the development of 0.9.8, so none of these are in the SVN.

Retroactively adding to the svn seems to provide a tiny benefit compared to the work and the possibility of making an error. When I work on small projects I usually just keep the source archived in a zipfile. Sounds like you did the same. You might consider adding a directory to the repository, where these zip files can be simply stored. If you ever *need* to go back to them, they are permanently stored.

Thanks for the insight. I am currently undecided as to whether or not it's worth it properly archiving the old LoR versions in the SVN; but I definitely will not be doing this for RevDCM.

Well the 3.19 registry check is failing for Steam complete users. Basically it's finding a BtS registry key, but no 3.19 version key. Fortunately one of the devs of Dune Wars has a Steam Complete version. So we can use him to figure things out. But how can he search his registry so we can figure out a valid test to find out if a Steam Complete copy has been updated to 3.19?

Have him find the root registry key for Firaxis. This should be something like

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Firaxis Games​

He can right-click that key and select "Export..." to create a .reg (text) file containing all the keys under Firaxis. If he posts it or sends it to you, send me a copy and I'll take a peek. Just open it with Notepad and you can see what's in there. There's not personally identifying information that I know of, so it should be safe for him to send.

Have him find the root registry key for Firaxis. This should be something like

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Firaxis Games​
How do you do this?

I've used regedit before so I should be able to look up this key.

Here is the contents of my export of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Firaxis Games. There seems to be no reference to version 3.19 anywhere.

Spoiler :
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Firaxis Games]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4]
"InstallDir"="c:\\program files\\steam\\steamapps\\common\\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 - Beyond the Sword]
"InstallDir"="c:\\program files\\steam\\steamapps\\common\\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\\Beyond the Sword"
"DEFAULT_LANGUAGE"=dword:00000009

Is there another way to check if the 3.19 patch has been applied? Something in the game files?

Could you check HKEY_CURRENT_USER instead of HKLM. If this doesn't work, Emperor Fool, do you have any ideas on how to identify the Steam bit from the registry?

@Deliverator: would you mind sharing your registry? you can export the whole registry as a text file and then upload it here or elsewhere and provide the link - that makes searching easier :mischief:

otherwise I'd first search for the Steam entries...

Here's a link to my registry - let me know when you've got it.

Edit: link removed.

I got it too, I can't find anything in it that looks good to use. There are only a couple of entries I've found that look like they have any value, though it makes setting up the registry check logic a bit unwieldy. Whoever programmed the Steam installer should be punched in the face for not including an easily grabable version key like every other installation type.

These are the couple of entries that look sort of useful:

Assuming Steam always forces the user to patch, could use this:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Steam App 8800]
Of course this also assumes it always uses the same 8800 number in it's key.

This looks like We could use it to do a final check to see if Steam is installed, if all else fails (though it certainly doesn't let us know if the user has a steam version of BtS):
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\steam]

And look at the only registry that returns 3.19:
[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2025429265-1383384898-839522115-1003\Software\Agent_EXE\Agent Ransack\RecentContains]
"1"="version"
"2"="3.19"

I really do want to punch the bastard that wrote the BtS patch installer registries for steam in the face for this nonsense.

Edit: Ori please let me know if you find anything more useful

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2025429265-1383384898-839522115-1003\Software\Agent_EXE\Agent Ransack\RecentContains]
"1"="version"
"2"="3.19".

That's just because I was using Agent Ransack (a file search utility) to search the Games files for anything referring to 3.19.

You may just have to give up on the 3.19 check if the BTS directory is within a folder called steamapps/common/

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2025429265-1383384898-839522115-1003\Software

FYI, that long number is the computers SSID, and is unique to each computer, so you can't use it to check for the version. :(

:sad: doesn't look like steam puts the patch version into the registry - however they do push the patch so steam users (unless they jump through hoops - and did so before the patch was published) are patched to 3.19 - so maybe just check for the steam installation? :dunno:

You could look in Assets/XML/GlobalDefines.xml:

Code:
	<Define>
		<DefineName>CIV4_VERSION</DefineName>
		<iDefineIntVal>319</iDefineIntVal>
	</Define>

Top Bottom