[R&F] Getting first steps

Mangov

Chieftain
Hello i want to start modding and i want to change some of already done mods so i start learning how things work. The problem is that i cant get the civ 6 sdk and tools from steam and i am able just to do things with Notepad++. Can someone give me advise about what are the ways i can make mods or edit the ones i use with notepad. And is there easier ways to do this with other softwears or scripts.

If you have no SDK then the only way is the raw and dangerous way. You edit the files directly.

As such, you make folder of originals where you put the original form of the file so in case you fudge something up you can always revert the last change. Likewise If you want to "turn the mod off" you just put the original files into game's directory. Then you make folder of your modded versions of these files. And based on whether you want the mod active or not you put original or modded files to game's folder. Most of what you'd change is in form of XML files which you can open, read, edit, even in Notepad++. Though I'd recommend at least Sublime Text, it's free, it's convinient.

This is however tidious. You must study the code to know what to change, you must test a lot, there is a lot of things that can break randomly. Just changing the order of tags that define terrains will make movement range go crazy.

Example. You want to change Food that Citizen eats. Defaulty it's 2. Let's say you want 1. You must find the constant that sets this. After tidious search, you may find that in Civ6/Base/Assets/Gameplay/Data there is GlobalParameters.xml file which contains set of constants having certain value set. There is constant that sounds something like CITY_FOOD_CONSUMPTION_PER_POP. It has Value set to 2. Change it to 1, save the file and the magic is done. This is all text files so using any text editor is no problem unless it uses formatting.

As for foreign mods, I can't say for certain. I don't use any mods, I also don't use SDK since I am changing the entire game so it's more convinient for me to rewrite things directly. I would guess these mods come in folders containing files that you can edit the same way. Some as XML files, some as sql commands.

You can mod using only Notepad++, that's mostly what I do, I need the SDK only when I want to pack some art files.

But you'll need to create a .modinfo file manually, taking example on other mods (and setting a new modID using a GUID generator like this one)

If you have no SDK then the only way is the raw and dangerous way. You edit the files directly.

As for foreign mods, I can't say for certain. I don't use any mods, I also don't use SDK since I am changing the entire game so it's more convinient for me to rewrite things directly. I would guess these mods come in folders containing files that you can edit the same way. Some as XML files, some as sql commands.

I want to change only the icons and the text in this mods but i cant find a way. I want to edit the mod that NerdByFate submitted - civilization mod for turkey. I started my attempt to change the background and the leader icon on his mods but nothing happens.
I tried by changing the dds files in textures with the ones that i want but it didnt work.
I tried by changing the data in file turkey_icons.xml in folder data - <Row Name="ICON_ATLAS_KEMAL" IconSize="32" IconsPerRow="1" IconsPerColumn="1" Filename="Kemal32.dds"/> with my added files but this didnt work too.
I even deleted the dds files from textured folder to see if they stop showing but even after that the game keeps the same images.

And i am at position i need someone to show me the basics and help me start. I watched vids showing how to do it with the civ 6 sdk and toosl but I dont have and mainly I cant get the dev tools and assets from the Steam, so i am able just to mod things with notepad++.

I want to change only the icons and the text in this mods but i cant find a way. I want to edit the mod that NerdByFate submitted - civilization mod for turkey. I started my attempt to change the background and the leader icon on his mods but nothing happens.
I tried by changing the dds files in textures with the ones that i want but it didnt work.
I tried by changing the data in file turkey_icons.xml in folder data - <Row Name="ICON_ATLAS_KEMAL" IconSize="32" IconsPerRow="1" IconsPerColumn="1" Filename="Kemal32.dds"/> with my added files but this didnt work too.
I even deleted the dds files from textured folder to see if they stop showing but even after that the game keeps the same images.

And i am at position i need someone to show me the basics and help me start. I watched vids showing how to do it with the civ 6 sdk and toosl but I dont have and mainly I cant get the dev tools and assets from the Steam, so i am able just to mod things with notepad++.

Would you like to add me on steam and I can help you out directly?

If you don't have SDK you cant alter Art of a mod published with SDK (its all in XLP and similar), you only can make new dds manually (and you don´t need .tex files that way). Try to see this Portugal mod version, until this one I didn't use SDK: Version 16.4 Beta => https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/portugal-civilization-civ-6-vanilla-and-r-f.25478/history

I remember the leaders artdef is "cracked" to work.

Raen your mod is really good. Ty a lot for mentioning it. Somehow i havent seen it in my previous serches. May i ask you how did you remove cleopatra in diplomacy window and can i add icons and picture in the menu where we choose our chivs. In your Version 16.4 Beta the icons dont show and cleopatra is there all the time. In your final one this are fixed

Raen your mod is really good. Ty a lot for mentioning it. Somehow i havent seen it in my previous serches. May i ask you how did you remove cleopatra in diplomacy window and can i add icons and picture in the menu where we choose our chivs. In your Version 16.4 Beta the icons dont show and cleopatra is there all the time. In your final one this are fixed

Actually, I only solved those problems with SDK. But If you quit that game and start another it will appear, but you can copy all the art directly to ...SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets and they will appear at the start selection screen. (don't remember if the picture is there though, but icons appear)

For Cleopatra no solution I could find at the time (or now), actually if you notice Leader art in diplomacy info is integrated with the background, but with time seemed funny, like Cleopatra telling a story lol

Last edited:
So cleopatra can only be removed with sdk or cant be removed at all.

Is there a way to change Cleopatra with the leader of norway cuz he looks like my country khans and i can use him without editing in the begining

Last edited:
So cleopatra can only be removed with sdk or cant be removed at all

Can be removed with SDK, because with Modbuddy all is built by the book.

When I meant cant now was to solve for that particular version without SDK.

If i have done most of the stuff i want will there be able to give it to someone just to remove her with sdk without changing other stuff or the whole mob must be sdk created

Sure, you only need someome to put your icons and leaders into xlp, also creating tex files, and then build at modbuddy (I oversimplified whats to do, since there is some considerable work to do, but if you dont change it later, is one shot)

I think @Toastyland offered you help in that sense

Top Bottom