Getting your units in Civilization IV: A guide for anyone with Max and determination

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
This documentation is about unit model creation in Civilization IV and is written by Firaxis.

The guide is 22 pages long and is available in PDF and MS Word format:

PDF Format: http://www.civfanatics.com/content/civ4/reference/Getting_your_units_in_Civilization_4.pdf
Word Format: http://www.civfanatics.com/content/civ4/reference/UnitsinCiv4.zip

In addition to this doc, some example model files (Tank, Rifleman, Praetorian, Cho-Ko-Nu) are also released and can be downloaded from this forum thread. The Civ4 plugin for 3dsmax released a while ago can also be downloaded from the same thread.

I can't find a better place on the forums to ask this, I'm not certain how to place the Civ plugins for3ds max 7? Where do they go? Am I right in thinking you unzip the files and place them all 'as is' into your 3ds max directory ?

There should be a plugin(s) {I don't remember} folder there, and then you should enable them in 3ds max plugin options. At least it was so about 2 years ago (you know, 3dsMax is an old brend :)).

Bump, both files appear to be missing. Lost when the site was upgraded?

Are there any other programs to own Units? available for free, or at least not for over 3000$?

Are there any other programs to own Units? available for free, or at least not for over 3000$?

you can use blender with the nifscripts (both is for free), you can´t make everything in blender what you can make in 3dMax (eg. no new aniamtion), but a lot :)

Hi ,

the file download is not possible , send a PM and it will be mailed to you

it cant be uploaded due to its size in PDF :(

enjoy your day :)

Attachments

• unitsinciv4.zip
    1 MB · Views: 306
Hi, thanks for this tutorial.
I have 3dsMax 7, and have placed the Nif files into the MAX folder.
I get an option to export MAX models as NIF models....but I can't import an existing NIF file into MAX..
Can anyone help with this please...

Also, exactly what's possible to do in MAX with CIV4 models- I mean.. editing models, animation editing, FX ?

Hey...I have a bigfoot model I made with Max 9 that I want to get into Civ IV. I already have him skinned, textured, and animated with the tutorial file from this thread. I can't get any of the export stuff to work with Max 9 though and I don't have enough disk space to install Max 7 right now. Would anyone be interested in finishing him up so I can get him into Civ IV. I wanted to just replace the barbarians with Bigfoots. I can send the Max file to whoever wants to do it and you are free to use and modify the model as you wish. Thanx from Huntinator.

Help!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just downloaded a remodling of greek units file and put it in my MODS folder, but for some reason when I loaded the Mod and started playing (i was the greeks) the units didn't change?

Well, if that's what you did, you did it wrong. I suggest checking a tutorial first.

Bump, both files appear to be missing. Lost when the site was upgraded?
Just downloaded the Word file and the PDF download also starts OK.;)

This is a repost from

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=338867
this also has the above max and texture file in that thread if it needs a looking at.
but :

I have made my first unit, a hover tank, but am having trouble with the tutorials. The animation dummies. I am not sure of how to make them specifically. Everything i have done so far has been done from scratch. Texture and Model. I have uploaded it as an attachment along with the texture. In it you will find that the model is animated 422 frames in all. I used 3ds max 7 (i found a free trial if anyone wants it as it still works with the plugins message me)

Like i said i need a little push here because the tutorials go a little fuzzy here. I goto maxscripts and then the active sequences section all i have are: EMPTY_SEQUENCE_AT_0f. Any help in animating this thing would be great.

if it helps:

My animation flow and corrisponding frames:

0-60 Heal
60-180 Idle
180-200 Run
200-215 RangedFortify
215-315 RangedIdle
315-336 RangedHurtA
336-357 RangedStrike
357-392 RangedDie
392-422 RangedDie_Fade
[End Animation]

Correction: I corrected a small animation problem on frame 215 where i did not set the key for the animation of the cannon and front turret to its beginning position.

So basically how do i create animation dummies from scratch. all the MD files and such. Or am i making something overly complicated? I guess thats where i get lost.

Top Bottom