Give corporations more realistic names

I'm sure Firaxis could get permission from any corporation they want.

"Hi, I'd like to immortalize your corporation in a best-selling video game. Your corp. will represent one of 7 global corporations and will not be represented in a negative way of any kind. Just agree not to sue us for including your logo, and we will add you into the game."

What company wouldn't take the free publicity? Heralded as one of 7 corporations in the world? hell yea!

Sid's sushi -> Joe's Crab Shack

Except that Sid's Sushi generates culture, and the other certainly does not. In fact, Joe's should probably subtract culture from a city. :)

Creative Constructions -> Halliburton

Bechtel is definitely a better fit here.

Mining Co -> BHP Billington

Billiton might be the biggest, though arguably Rio Tinto and Freeport McMoran are better known.

Std Ethanol -> Archers Daniel Midland

Don't think they have any archers. :)
That would be Archer Daniels Midland.

And Tiffany rather than DeBeers, now that I think about it. Wider range of jewels, and Tiffany does the designing rather than the mining.

nbcman said:
Now if an individual modder were to do make a mod with the actual logo, there is probably not much that the actual corporation could do to the modder. But the corporation could sue the administrators/owners of the Civ Fanatics Center to remove the mod with their logo in it.

To which I think the following quote was directed:

no.

They are not earning money on it...

This forum sells advertising, quite possibly (probably) based on the number of page views. Offering downloads with (edit: trademarked, duh) logos will likely increase the number of page views (minimally, but so what). It's not a great argument, but it wouldn't take a great argument to be rather more of a legal PITA than the site admins want.

If Firaxis were to use actual corporation logos, the actual corporations could sue Firaxis for allowing the dilution of their copyrighted logo or for the implication of endorsement of CIV by the copyright holder. Even Wiki warns against the use of corporate logos on their website.

Now if an individual modder were to do make a mod with the actual logo, there is probably not much that the actual corporation could do to the modder. But the corporation could sue the administrators/owners of the Civ Fanatics Center to remove the mod with their logo in it.

You really should understand the difference between copyright and trademark.

Man, I actually glad they "didn't" use real names... personally. I would hate to have to use trash like "McDonald's" or anything like that in my games, lol. It would just feel... I don't know... kind of cheesy.

I love the in-game corporation names... they're charming. C'mon, Sid's Sushi? How can you dislike that? lol.

It fits the rest of the charm and humor in the game.

The only thing I wish for with regards to corporations, is that there were MORE corporations. Especially to take care of alternative resources which are unused in corporations right now. Though, I'm uncertain how that would affect game balance.

Of course, this is all just my own, personal tastes and opinion.

Grimus, I understand where you're coming from.

But personally I prefer to go in a more realistic direction. It would be really cool to have the East India Company, Standard Oil, the Fuggers (banking family), Vanderbilt railroads, etc. in the game because they had significant effects on history. I just don't quite know how to map them on to the current corps...

Hi

Maybe there should be an option kind of like when you build a city. When you found a company there would be a little dialogue box with a default name like Sid's Sushi or whatever and then you could just click ok or choose to rename it to what you want then click ok.

Kaytie

There should be a corporation that takes care of the pigs, cattle and sheep.
I mean if there was a McDonalds, they'd do the trick, but because we can't use that name, what should it be called?
-name of other Civ team member- Fast Food?
Sid's Fast Food?

To which I think the following quote was directed:

This forum sells advertising, quite possibly (probably) based on the number of page views. Offering downloads with copyrighted logos will likely increase the number of page views (minimally, but so what). It's not a great argument, but it wouldn't take a great argument to be rather more of a legal PITA than the site admins want.

Please, if so... This forum would get sacked years ago.

;) Too bad it's pretty much true lol :lol: . Except for the food one. Sid's Sushi can be replaced by McDonalds.

why would you replace something that key's off of rice and sea food as McDonalds? Maybe if there was one that keyed off of Cows and Wheat. I don't remember since I don't get to corps so often.

There should be a corporation that takes care of the pigs, cattle and sheep.
I mean if there was a McDonalds, they'd do the trick, but because we can't use that name, what should it be called?
-name of other Civ team member- Fast Food?
Sid's Fast Food?

Call it Ranald MacDonalds. Also, look up Ranald MacDonald on wikipedia. Real person.

At least change "Sid's Sushi Corp" to something less silly/stupid :(

Come on man, Sid needs his own company too!

A less US-centric proposal:

Sid's Sushi -> Hokka Hokka Tei (Japanese fast food chain)
Cereal Mills -> General Mills (American food producer)
Aluminum Co -> Rusal (Russian aluminium company)
Creative Constructions -> Samsung (South Korean industrial conglomerate)
Civilized Jewelers -> De Beers (South African diamond miners)
Mining Co -> Rio Tinto (British/Australian mining company)
Standard Ethanol -> Saudi Aramco (Arabian oil company with American roots)

For the record (as alluded to by another poster), using real companies' names would implicate trademark and unfair competition issues, not copyright issues. Names are not copyrightable subject matter.

Hmm... there seems to be the other problem that I didn't even realize.

It would be a bit biased to have every corporation to be American (even if they're international ones)!

But, for me anyway, to start using other countries' corporations as well would just be very unpleasant.

For example, I've never even heard of those companies mentioned in post #36 (besides Samsung and General Mills), they all might as well be made-up to begin with then with more descriptive, fun, charming names.

To be the founder of "Hokka Hokka Tei" and to have it's headquarters operating within my empire... oh, the horror! :)

Its personal tastes I guess, but I prefer by far the 'fantasy' names.

Top Bottom