GK2- The Training Day Experiment

Will be working on the government thing today.

Overseas war was another of the objectives and 'twas handled quite nicely.

Who wants to start us towards the "Final Frontier", with elections?

Not much to say about that last turn set but :clap:

You are correct, on this version commie sucks - C3C is a different matter and it's one of the best choices for a very large empire.

You are also correct about peace is the way at this point. One thing I look forward to is management of the age change tech bonuses. I kind of wish we were scientific just to be able to work through the gifting & trading machinations. I'll try to set up a little excercise later for everyone to try.

Thank you Alerum for a very nice comparison of Republic and Communism. Well done!

I would like the next player to do the same thing between Communism and Democracy.

FYI - I'm going to take the current game from where I have it now, and try and beat this one for myself... wonder who will get a higher score in the end?;)

Ok, here’s the situation:

Regent level game on PTW and it is 70 BC
You are Russia and about to discover Map Making, the final AA tech that you need to reach the Middle Ages. You have the rest of the AA techs. You have 623g in the bank and are making 23gpt currently.

Opponent:
Babylon: Annoyed, 17g, down Poly, Currency & Republic
Persia: Cautious, 192g, down Poly & Republic
Germany: Cautious, 2g, down Poly & Republic
Greece: Cautious, 17g, down Poly & Republic
Ottoman: Cautious, 27g, down Poly & Republic

All are in despotism and we are weak in military against them all (15 workers, 2 warriors, 2 spearman & 2 horseman). We have not trade connections yet to anyone. We do have horses, wines & dyes connected. We are #1 in score (429) and ahead of 2nd place Babylon (302) by over 100. We are also the culture leader on the land mass (panagea, large, with less than standard opponents).

I have not tried to micromanage any of the cities or build any major wonders (FP currently in process).

Your goal is to see how much gold & technology you can have at the end of your turn in 50 BC.

Please describe your trades and anything unusual you might do for our beloved readers.

And here is the file:
Link to SAV

PS: This is for anyone who wants to try it, not just team members. I'm hoping to learn a couple of ideas for improving my own era change trading for use in the XOTM games.

Looks interesting. For those of us who don't know off the top of our heads, how many turns are there between 50BC and 70BC? I'm guessing that it's just the next turn that we get to do.

Delurking for a moment...

My impression, which seemed to be confirmed by the test in this game, was that Communism wasn't terribly useful. Perhaps more specifically, that the equal-corruption effect wasn't very useful. I have two questions at this point.

1. Any sense of how shield production changed during the Communism test in this game?

2. Could one of the "instructors" spend a few minutes outlining which aspects of Communism ARE useful (or perhaps more accurately the specific instances in which Communism's various features DO prove useful). A fairly specific explanation would be helpful.

It would be even more useful if it could also address, say, Republic, in comparison. Perhaps something like, "You're on Pangea locked in a land war against a powerful neighbor and discover Communism. You switch in this case... (blah, blah, blah - you're paying too much GPT for needed military upkeep, whatever). You don't switch in this case (blah...).

I guess I'm more of a builder than a fighter, but I love the Republic and tend to see little point in using most other governments. I tend to run for Monarchy, switch, and as soon as I get Republic and can manage it, switch again. Though I do frequently eventually switch to democracy (although the "lower corruption" seems mythical to me when I do real-game comparisons).

As I said a few dozen pages back - reading this thread and playing through turns helped my game immensely. I've only done one COTM, but was able to win my game on Emperor (Conquest division, though) because of this thread. Previously, Monarchy was usually too much for me.

Wonder if we'll need to pay someone someday to condense this thread into a 16 page pamphlet or something...

Thanks,

I've been working on the government comparison, but it is taking some time, as I have a theory I'm testing. So, I pray patience.

Going to have some fun with denyd's exercise too.

And yes, 70BC to 50BC is one game turn.

The exercise looks interesting. I don't have PTW though. I don't suppose PTW is on the C3C disc is it?

This is Vanilla, though, isn't it? I'd like to have a go but I think my Vanilla installation has been screwed (I can't use the Vanilla editor any more!) since I refreshed my installation so I could run PtW using the Conquests disc.

PTW is on the C3C disk.

I would have been quite boring using vanilla as SCI tribes always get Monotheism. I picked PTW hoping that most people (sorry Mac users) would have either PTW or C3C (which contains PTW). I thought about using C3C to add the free Philosophy tech bonus into the equation, but wasn't sure how many people would be able to play that version.

There is a an excellent article by DaveMcW on tricks you'll be able to use. I can never seem to get the interturn Big Picture trick to work for me, so I'll be reading the results with great interest.

LINK

Yes, it is a single turn.

@Tron - yes PTW is included on the C3C - I think it loads automatically it just doesn't create a desktop icon to run, but you can do that yourself.

@Eldar - the new exercise that denyd uploaded is PTW, not vanilla, so your PTW should work fine.

BTW, I have reloaded the save files in the GK2.2 Trading exercise that is linked in the TOC on page 1. They are vanilla saves for the players without PTW version.

Denyd the betwen turn tricks is simple. When you get your tech it will give you the optional pull down menu and brings you to the top menu to let you do what you'd like between turns... One thing of note... if you zoom into a city, you cannot leave that city without starting the turn completely... you have to use the scroll arrows on the top of the screen. And I won't be able to take part in this one... C3C disk has gone missing.:(

My C3C disk is now permanently in the drive - the main reason for the re-install, I don't have to keep swapping disks now :)
Half-Life 2 I can play with my Steam registration....

Alerum68: What normally happens is I get the new age splash screen with the pretty picture and the choice of play the game and the big picture. If I select play the game, I get sent to the select the next tech to research question and I already have the bonus tech assigned. If I select big picture, I'm on the score graph status screen, from there anything I seem to do except toggle between the score/power/culture graphs takes me to the select a new tech pop-up with the age bonus already selected. I'm probably missing a function key step to get a chance to trade with the AI, but as many times as I've tried it, I've yet to get the right combination.

denyd said:
I'm probably missing a function key step to get a chance to trade with the AI, but as many times as I've tried it, I've yet to get the right combination.

I think you just need to hit F4 from that screen and it gives you access to your advisors during "The Big Picture", but as Alerum said don't go into a city screen until you've done your trading because you can't return to the advisors once you enter a city.

I think I see Denyd's problem - PTW appears to behave differently to C3C with regard to allocation of the free tech. After playing the inter-turn, I went back and tried to break into F4 from the change-of-era "Big Picture", but to no avail.

Here's what happened:

Spoiler :

Eldar's Trading Log

Actually, we're making +29gpt, and everyone else is up MM on us.

I can get some good deals just for my World Map (Babylon will give me his WM, MM, plus all his gold, just for my WM!). That's the best deal available at this stage.

However, that'll just get me my free MA tech without the opportunity to do even better. I have, though, gotten a feel for how valuable my WM is to certain opponents right now. This may come into play.

A quick check of the slider confirms I can't do better than 1 turn with +29gpt. So I press the Space Bar and get on with it.

First: the change-of-era screen appears, I click on "Let's Play The Game".

Second: Science Advisor appears asking for the next tech to research, I choose "Big Picture". Indeed, my free tech - Monotheism - has already been chosen for me. (I think this is different in C3C. The free tech doesn't materialise until after the inter-turn has been completed. Unless I'm doing something very wrong - you can't, AFAIK, break into the F6 screen from the "Big Picture" option of the change-of-era screen.)

Right, now to go visit the neighbours. From the Science screen, F4 takes me to the leaderheads. Let's start with the richest - the X-Man.

Deals with X-Man:
First, I sell him Polytheism.
He won't give me gpt; I guess he can't afford it. So the deal is:

Polytheism for WM+192g

Bad news - his free tech is Monotheism too.

Next up, Osman - the second richest.

He'll initially only give me 10g for Polytheism. He must be close to finishing it. I take the up-front offer - he has less than 20g afterwards, so I'll get all that later.

Polytheism for WM+10g.

He got Engineering as his freebie. So I offer him Republic straight up for it, and he won't bite. Let's see if we can make Engineering less valuable first....

Next, Greece.

Again no gpt for Poly, but all his treasury and his WM.

He got Monotheism too. Bad luck.

Now Germany.

Poly for 2g+WM

We strike lucky - he gets Engineering as his free tech.

I can now do a straight-up swap of either Goverment tech for Engineering - its trade value has dropped. Depending on how you want to play the game, you'll want to either bog down the AIs (if going for fast conquest/dom), in which case giving them Monarchy is the thing to do. Or if you want research partners, give them Republic.

I fancy the fast conquest approach, so I'll give away Monarchy. Giving it to Germany, a close but small neighbour, means they won't pop-rush units when I go to war with them.

Trade Monarchy for Engineering.

Finally backwards Hammurabai. I sell him Polytheism and Currency for his 17g+WM.

He doesn't get Feudalism - worse luck - so I only end up with 2 out of 3 techs to start the Middle Ages.

My last deal is to go back to Osman and get his remaining gold. I sell him Monarchy for 17g+WM.

Final tally: 907g+29gpt, Monotheism and Engineering, AIs are more annoyed with me than before but attitude can be easily fixed. Disappointing.

Eldar: You expierenced what I normally find happening to me

On a side note, those 2 horsemen were popped from huts. I don't ever remember getting horsemen from a hut before, only warriors. Are there other units (archers, chariots, etc) that other players have gotten?

I'll see if I can get into PTW tonight then and play out the exercise. Thanks, guys.

Top Bottom