GK2- The Training Day Experiment

Thanks Mistfit. Actually, sanitation came in on turn 9, and I started Refining. I thought about skipping sanitation, but I wanted to collect the optional techs in case we want to gift Germany and Russian into the next age. That way I'd have something to trade for their freebies. It just seemed like a good time to get it. I was thinking of getting refining, and then maybe grabbing Esionage before continuing along our "regular" research path. Also, I chose sanitation first because it was something that we could actually use. Espionage won't have a real use for us.

[Edit]: Question: Sanitation is a tech I would always research on the way to a space win. Why would I not want to grow my cities when research and production are keys to this victory type?

Mistfit said:
......One question to the team. What are your thoughts about sanitation? I never take the side road to get that one if I'm planning on space or UN win. Do you waste the 4 turns? Do you think it will help in the end?

I feel about hospitals about the same way I do about temples. That is to say they are often more trouble and more costly than they are worth. That said, when you are heading for a Spaceship win in C3C the technology path is longer so the added population can help for either the extra tax revenue to finance technology theft or the beakerheads if you are doing the self-research thing. And Battlefield Medicine is useful if you have to play a resource denial end game with the other guys.

Sanitation also has great trade value if held at mono or duopoly pricing.

I almost never build hospitals for the sole reason that I hate pollution. This game is so in the bag that we should be able to time our prebuilds far enough in advance that the larger size towns should not be a huge problem.

Tron Good point on the trade bait for the era change. Although I also agree with alerum that we might want to gift the AI absolutely everything in hopes that they research something usefull for us (not likely but hey we can hope right?)

I'm not use to being the runaway civ, at least, not since Regent or lower. There really isn't a bad way to finish this one out. Credit to the first batch of students. Their opening moves were outstanding and have created a great base for us.

I've only played Monarch for about 2 months. I lost my first 8 games, then shortly after finishing reading this thread, I won my first. Then I won COTM9. I haven't been able to finish a game since, but I'm convinced I will keep winning at this level and move up.

I think I like Hospitals so much is because on Regent, and my early Monarch games I was horrible at my opening moves and even worse with my worker management. This resulted in my games running long into the modern era. I'm still not as effiecient as I need to be with workers and my opening moves, but they are both very much improved.

I don't think it's likely they are going to research anything for us. It seemed like they were barely researching at all. I think we'd be better off gifting them to the new era and then trading for their free techs.

I've often found that the AI has this strange fascination with Amphibious Warfare & Advanced Flight. (probably just likes marines). What normally works best is to pick a specific tree like ecology->synthetic fibers and rocketry->space flight, as the AI likes fission & computers, and keep gifting the AI those techs and hope they'll go for the other first level techs for you.

I agree that's it's probably time to end the wars and make nice with everyone. I wouldn't worry too much about flips unless you'd be losing a coveted wonder. More of a risk at this time is a flip to you that puts you over the domination limit. As for communism, I'd skip it during this game. This government really doesn't suit the current team goal, switching to democracy is a good idea though, especially with the religious trait eliminating the anarchy.

Denyd, we have to go to Communism... was part of the original rules... I'd agree with you though... is going to hurt us more then anything... but a question... how many turns must we stay in communsim to fufill the varient?

How about if you just played your turns in communism? Maybe you could document some differences and give us some good screen shots. Then we could switch to democracy on the next set.

Yes, we don't need to spend a lot of time in Communism. We just need to explore it. It was one of the things we set out to do when this game started in 1947... or there abouts. :D

Edit - Didn't you guys know that Civ was one of the things they found at Roswell?

Sir Bugsy said:
Edit - Didn't you guys know that Civ was one of the things they found at Roswell?

That explains a lot! :borg:

I'll try to update the TOC in the next few days and send it to Bugs for posting. I haven't checked out the links to the save files in my sig in awhile, but I have them all on my machine at home if anyone needs them just post a request.

Hi Folks,

I just wanted to take the time (and I guess, interrupt :blush: ) to thank you all for this fantastic thread. I have just finished reading all 65 pages and have managed to take about 100 pages of notes (info and also shadow moves).

The effect this thread has had upon my game is amazing. I used to only play Chieftan and sometimes Warlord difficulty. Since reading this thread, Regent became way too easy (won three games straight - Conquest, Space Race and Domination - all on Huge maps) and am now on Monarch difficulty. The current game I am playing (early Middle Ages) suggests that I may be able to pull a win here too (at the top of the tech tree with the Inca close behind - everyone else is 3-6 techs back).

There is no way whatsoever I would've dreamed of playing at this level before reading this thread (and some other succession games) so I just wanted to convey my thanks :goodjob:

Next step, possibly a succession game (when I get some courage to enter into one)...

Sadan01

That's good to hear, Sadan. I had a very similar experience as you and now my game is improving every time I play.

Why don't you take some turns in this game? We're really just finishing it off. I think Alerum is going to take some turns in the next couple of days, but I don't think anyone would mind if you jumped in after that. I was nervous about jumping in, but I'm glad I did.

By all means, Sadan, jump right in.

Even I haven't read all 65 pages.....:thumbsup:

My keyboard isn't working properly so I can't printscreen.:( Sorry guys!

Preturn (1275AD) - Revolt!!!
MM cities to get as many taxmen as we can to get during our revolt... only form of revenue we can generate. Also going to leave 1 citizen as a sci-guy. All the ex-russian cities I keep starving down. Doing this nets us 197 gpt, and still have science going.

IBT -
Weird... we're in anarchy but everyone loves the chief.
Kiev - Temple --> Harbor
Kagoshima - Harbor --> Marketplace
Odessa - Temple --> Marketplace
Svastabol starves
Tblisi - Temple --> Harbor
Vladivostok starve. Builds Temple -- > Marketplace
Rostov ends it's resistance.

The Revolution has ended! The People have spoken and created a new form of goverment where all are equal. We shall call it... Communism!

Turn 1 (1280AD) -
Since I can't print screen I'm going to post some numbers for comparsion of Communism and Republic.
Before After
GPT 389 GPT 160
Science -868 (refine in 3) Science -367 (refine in 7 turns)
Corruption -571 Corruption -501
Unit Cost -114 Unit Cost - 0!!! YEAH BOY!

Overall it appears that Communism was a big waste. We may have save 70 gold in corruption, and yes when we build more courthouses and police stations it will get better, but we lost 4 turns of research, and a net lost of 129 GPT. If we were going to go into war, this would be useful, (Yeah, so we should have revolted the last set, but oh well) but as it stand I'm going to suggest that the next player revolts to Demo as soon as you claim it.

Do some railroading, consolidate troops on the other contient, and that's about it... oh yeah, forgot to mention: Workers are 150% so things will get done a bit quicker.

IBT -
England ask us to leave the vicinity of Reading. Okay.
Now that we're communist no one seems to love the Chief anymore. Corruption goes up to 509.

Turn 2 (1285AD)
Continue RRing our contient. We're done with the former Persian lands are are about to head west to the old Japanese and Zulu strongholds.
Found Skannayutenate... No I don't, scratch that... I found Skanna... 'nuf said. Set to Harbor.
Found Sewee, set to Harbor.
Move a ship of the coast of Hastings for if we ever decide to attack the English. Is a valuable coastal city that will give us landing abilities as well as taking one of their saltpeper.
Don't know why I didn't think of this sooner... we can turn science up to 100% and get refining in 4 turns at a loss of 79... we have almost 4k in the bank, so I decide to run it at max.
Change SIdon from Cav to Library due in 1.
Use some Russian Citizens to quick about 40 shields out of Sevastopol.
I'm bringing our boats to Gayagaahe to pick up workers to transport to the other contient once we finish RRing ours... the next player should be able to take care of that.

IBT -
Oil Springs - Factory --> Hospital
Sidon - Library --> Police Station.
We lost our supply for Furs!

Turn 3 (1290AD)
Because we have enough to do it, and I want to help drive the economies of the AI, I trade Ivory, Incense, Dyes, and 1000 gold for the English Furs and 4 GPT. It may not seem to make sense, but seems like the best deal in my mind. Bugs, Bede, or Denyd... you guys have any comments or suggestions here?
Found Seneca on the tip of the Russian's ex-lands... fills up the contient nicely I must say. Set to Harbor.
Turn science down a notch still getting refine in 3 but saving 50 gold

IBT -
Damn it! We lost spices. Trade Ivory, Wines, Dyes, Silks and 1200 gold for Spices and 2 GPT... again, seems like a good idea for our goals, but is it?
Susa - Hosptial --> Police Station (Has Pollution!)

Turn 4( 1295AD)
Not much happens... just continue to road... all units are pretty much where they should be for defense or for future invasions if we choose to go that way.

IBT -
Camp Mistic - Marketplace --> Library
Pollution is cleaned.

Turn 5 (1300AD)
Trade a french worker for 27 gold.
Continue railroading. No trades to speak off. MM a bit, but everything is running smoothly at this point.

IBT -
Refining comes in, set tech to Steel in 8, gaining 36 GPT.

Turn 6 (1305AD)
Okay... Tron, you're forgiven for going to war... these turns are amounting to hitting J, followed by a click of the mouse then R-R-R... R-R-R... R-R-R...

IBT -
Osaka - Harbor --> Library
Niagara - Hospital -- > Police Station

Turn 7 (1310AD)
R-R-R... R-R-R... R-R-R... oh yeah, I think I hit space bar a few times too. It's getting so bad that I'm roading and railroading squares that are under our culture but aren't used by a city... I'm also roading and RRing mountains.

IBT -
Zimbabwe - Bank -- > Hospital
Persepolis - Police Station -- > Hospital
Oil Springs - Hospital --> Worker

Turn 8 (1315AD)
ohhh... England has a rifleman now! nice... looks like this game is about to get get a bit more interesting.
Finish RRing and going back over each tile, making sure that everything is improved... when I'm done the next player will have about 4 boatloads to do the other contient up nice.;)
Investigate Reading to make sure they don't have an invasion force ready for us... is just that rifleman and a spear.;)

IBT -
Susa - Police Station --> Temple (Just to keep my builder streak going, and yes it has 3 unhappy and is growing)
Oil Springs - worker --> worker
Tarsus - Marketplace --> University

Turn 9 (1320AD)
Almost... oh so ever close to... finishing our contient. The only thing left at this point is basically to go through each city and see what it needs to maximize production while getting food to the point where it's at a constant -zero growth-, but I think it's wiser to send them to the other contient and RR and improve over there... hell, it may even be worth staying in Communism for another 10 turns to get the other contient RRed... it only takes 3 worker, or 6 slave turns to build a RR, and 2 worker or 4 slave turns for irrigation.

IBT -
Kyoto - Harbor --> Hospital
Susa - Temple --> Worker
Grand River - Factory -- > Courthouse (Here comes pollution! Build Workers!)
Arbela - Hospital -- > Harbor
Oil Springs - Worker --> Worker
Mauch Chunk - Police Station -- > Hospital

Turn 10 (1325AD)
Worker turns.
Upgrade all our units that I can... why didn't I do that sooner?
Oh yeah.. cash... well, just turn science down a bit, still getting Steel in about the same time, pulling in 14 gpt
MM a few cities, everything is still pretty much okay.
I have to build some war units... I think the AI is starting to catch up with those luxury trades... not to mention that they're all Demos and I'm still going with Commie for the rest of my turns. Change Oil Springs to Inf just because I don't like the fact that our Cavs will be Cavs forever while Inf can become nice Mech inf for the future.;)

IBT
Nada.

Turn 11 (1330AD)
Alright, I have a feeling I won't see this game again, and I've invested a good bit into it, and would like to get a bit more out of this game. I'm going to play 5 more turns, and will take the flak from the group when it comes. :) I'm only doing this because I have a stragey for the workers in mind, and I'm a bit nervous if I pass it off that it won't go the way I see it... yeah, so I'm cheating death, just call me Methusalis... I probably didn't spell that right... let us continue.

Just more worker turns... see, you guys aren't missing a thing!

IBT -
Pasargadae - Hospital --> University
We can now build Battlefield Medicine... I have the perfect city.
Get the message about proper sanitazion, so I switch over all the 12+ cities over to Hospital at once.
Camp Mistic - Library --> Hospital

Turn 12 (1335AD)
Switch Susa from Inf to Battfield Medicine due in 10.
Have about 4 forest in the south to road and RR just to be complete, and our home contient is done. When cities start reaching max size we can fine tune a bit more. Otherwise the 16 workers I've sent to the other contient should reach it just in time for me to get a nice start on the railroads... I wish we had airports.

IBT -
England ask us to leave her lands, and I comply.
Allegheny builds something but I missed what it was. I think it was a factory. Switch to Hospital.
Oil Springs - Inf -- > Inf
Kagoshima - Courthouse -- > Library
Bactra - Hospital -- > Harbor

Turn 13 (1340AD)
Buy a worker from germany for 31 gold.
Complete the contient, and now have alot of workers with nothing to do. I may just hit Shift-A with them all before I hand them off... just kidding.:p

IBT -
Steel Comes in. Set research to Combustion due in 10 at a net gain of 86.
Antioch - Harbor --> Library
Caughnawaga - Hospital --> Police Station
Gandastetaigon - Aqueduct -- > Police Station

Turn 14 (1345AD)
Buy a worker off of france for 25 gold.
Don't know why... as a test I hit shift-a and the worker forts himself in a city... ie- not a single tile that isn't improved.

IBT -
St Regis - Hospital -- > Galleon
Centralia - Hospital --> Galleon

Turn 15 (1350AD)
Clean up polution near Kahnawake. Decide to put 12 workers on polution duty. They're on the polution tile next to Kahnawake now if you want ot wake them before they go anywhere.

Post turn -
For the next player: I gathered all the workers around salmanaca in two stacks, one natural workers, the other slaves. I forted all but 1 of each There's 1 more stack of slaves on the contient that you may want to move over there on your first turn. Keep the 12 that on have on polution patrol where they are, and send rest of the workers over to the other contient. There are 6 ships that I have ferrying workers over, so you should be able to bring them all over on your 10 turns... or near enough all of them.

Before you play your turn, revolt! There is no reason for us to still be in communism, but for the sake of the varient which is now complete. Give the people the vote! Don't forget to MM and make everyone taxmen so we can still have some kind of economy... and keep 1 guy going on science.

From this point on we should build libs, unis, court, police, and hospitals. We don't need units yet, and since we're on monarch I don't think we'll need more then wat we have now. I have a nice line of units blocking our lands in Old Russia from the English and French. The germans are below them, so we're pretty well blocked off. They do have railroads, but our borders are pretty much free of even roads.

I bought maps before my turn ended, so everything is current. Good luck, and just remember to get workers over ot the other contient.

One a final note on Communism: It's a death trap on this version of civ. The only use I can see is during warfare to make quick cheap units, *IF* you have courthouse and police stations to fight the corruption which is just as high as repubic. Also, you can use the whipping of foreign citizens to bring them quickly to 1 citizen. Research suffers to much though. Cash is a constant problem. Workers are much more efficent, and if you are in the midst of railroading I can see it being of some use, but not worth the revolt time unless you're religious and have 1 turn anarchy. If someone wants to take print screens of the results of the switch of republic to communist, I have a save from before and after... ask and I'm PM it to you.

Anyway, just remeber REVOLT BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING!!!! REVOLT!!!!!

@alerum,

Good to see you back. And send me the before and after saves so I can run them through the Great Comparator. Thanks.

Trading comment: I've found that lump sums paid to the AI gets spent on military upgrades. So if I am trying to boost their economies I pay them gpt. The luxury deals are just the ticket if you want to improve their economies and increase the research pace.

Now on the other hand, if you want to bankrupt the other guy, sell him a resource allowing troop upgrades and make sure to structure the deal so you get everything he owns and has a lot of troops to upgrade. If there are lots of troops in the upgrade path and his economy is weak, in a couple of turns he will be busted and making cash demands.

Good Turms Alerum. I'm glad that we were able to comply with the variant of the game by hitting Commie before we were done.

Oh Yeah..... Here's your flak

(This was my avatar for my first 300 posts if you can recall that far back)

Nice turns alerum. I'm glad I didn't muck up the war too bad. I'm all for switching to demo now and flying that spaceship soon.

Top Bottom