GK2- The Training Day Experiment

Gengis Khan

Deity
World Size: Standard
Map: Random
AI Civs: Random
Barbs: Roaming

Victory Conditions: All ON(except Wonder)
Allow Cultural Conversions: ON
Respawn: OFF
Cultural Starts: ON
Difficulty: Monarchy:eek:

Game will be played in Civ 1.29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This training day game will be a chance to introduce new players to the SG form, other fanatics, and help them improve their play among others their share their addiction.

Me & my co-trainers(they can’t be assistants when they’re both as good if not better then me), will be providing tons of assistance, tips, turn reviews, and help to move you guys along to your goal. We’ve decided on Monarch because it’s hard to teach diplomacy & trading when the AI isn’t forcing you to trade. Also it will be nice to work on a training day game where time is against you & everyone will have to apply tips & strategies that they’ve just recently learned in order to advance.

We’ll be using the format:
*pre-turn strategizing/suggestions
*a trainee will take his turn
*a trainer will shadow the turn(play the same turn)
*trainee will post a turn log plus ideas he has & plans for the future
*trainer will chime in with a critique of his turn(changes he could have made, suggestions for next time, ideas for the next player, ect)
*then we go on to discuss the next turn. Rinse and repeat.

The only variant is that we won’t be allowed to build/rush the Great Library. This is so trading in the early game will be vital to our success. Capturing it down the line is still game though.

Sign ups should be aware that SGs normally take around 3 months to complete, this one will probably take even longer with all the discussions. If you don’t have this kind of time or commitment, don’t sign up. If you're a chieftian/warlord player & afraid of signing up for a Monarchy game, don't be. I'm very confident in our success, I even wanted to make it Emperor but Bugs pointed out to me that we'd never get sign ups.:lol:

Civ is open for debate.

Once we get our roster set I’ll post more details.

Sorry for anyone that lost a post when I choped out 24 posts, PC doesn't mean that much anyways.;)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trainers:
Gengis
Bugsy

Trainees:
binyo66-
alerum68-
Scouts- Just played.
gm1- Up!
Mistfit- Hopefully on deck.
Solar- on the bench

This section is dedicated to ControlFreak, who will be leaving the forums again shortly. But in his short relapse back to CFC has still managed to contribute to this SG easily more then I have. Thanks for all the help, and best of luck in your new job!

This list is mainly for new members/lurkers, but is useful to look back on our choices & discussions for all players. It will be edited as we go along........

The Turns Played
(Bullets indicate progression of play)

Team Planning
(Thoughts, note, plans related to this game)

Basic Game Information
(Things that should be in the manual or are but missed by some players)

Advanced Game Concepts
(The Finer Points of Beating Civ)

Game Administration
(Trainers Rules,Exercises)

Fineprint: I take no credit for the idea or hardwork that went into making this list. Credit is rightly due to CF, I can just copy and paste with the best of them.

Since Gengis has been MIA, DJMGator has been kind enough to update the previous post. None of this is my work. I'd like to express my thanks to all those lurkers who have contributed to this Training Day Game. They have added greatly to the conversation and the overall knowledge of the Civ community.

Trainers:
Gengis (MIA)
Bugsy
Bede – added after Turn 14

Graduate Assistant:
Scoutsout – a former trainee who learned too much

Other Former Trainees:
Shoguntaka
-Oblivion-
binyo66
spleen1015
qm1- MIA (at sea?)

Current Trainees:
coletite – waiting
GJ – waiting
alerum68 – just played
Mistfit-UP
Solar – on deck

This list is mainly for new members/lurkers, but is useful to look back on our choices & discussions for all players. It will be edited as we go along........

The Turns Played
(Bullets indicate progression of play)

Team Planning
(Thoughts, note, plans related to this game)

Basic Game Information
(Things that should be in the manual or are but missed by some players)

Advanced Game Concepts
(The Finer Points of Beating Civ)

Game Administration
(Trainers Rules,Exercises)

I use Conquests 1.15

If I get to choose a religious civilization, I would pick the Celts.
I've never played them before, and their gaellic warriors sounds interesting.

Just checking in. I'll be lurking this thread. May download the turns and see what I would do with it. I'll try not to armchair quarterback too much. ;) Not that I'm the best player around - far from it. Just opinionated.

The iroquois would actually be a very intresting team to play, especially as their UU is so strong early on.

Well we've got 4 players, so we can start going through the motions. Here we go:

Shoguntaka- C3C & 1.29
SolarKnight- C3C & 1.29
Infoman- C3C & 1.29
Maxverve- 1.29

My question is does anyone mind stepping back to 1.29 so maxverve can play?

First off I want to congratulate the 4 gamers that show initiative to wanting to step up thier game a few notches. I was truly amazed by my improvement and the differences in what I do each turn after playing in SG's and of course reading what is emphasized by the best players.
I thought there would be 10-15 people out there that would want to get in on this and I'm really surprised there are only 4. Perhaps more will come forward as they see this progressing and another can be started for them.

I think we scared away like 30 people when the word Monarchy came out. New players don't realize that once you make a few subtle changes to your playing style, improve your opening game, and learn to effectively trade Monarchy doesn't play any different then Warlord. You're still the tech leader, the pace just moves faster.

Actually I was reffering to "vanilla" 1.29.

IRCC PTW is patched to 1.27, don't really know though seeing as I don't have PTW.

Actually it is on your C3C disc. You'll see a CIV3PTW sub-folder in your CIV3 folder.

4 pple is enough for a TDG. The sets take longer to turn around, and the work for the trainers is immense. Personally I'd close the roster and get on with it. :)

Very well then. Since Gengis hasn't piped up yet, let's assume we're playing 1.29f with Infoman, Solarknight, maxverve, and shoguntaka.

Let's start with a well reasoned statement on which civ each of you would like to play. Not something like.. "Immortals rock dude!!"

Something more along the lines of: "The Industrious trait will allow our workers to complete tasks quicker, while the militaristic trait will give us cheaper barracks and a better chance at a leader. I think we need cheaper barracks because....."

I think it would be intresting to play as the arabs or the iroqouis, as i don't often play expansionist civs, as they involve a completely different playstyle to other civs.

The expansionist trait, on any level would ensure we get no barbarians from goody huts, and depending on the landform we decide to use on the map, will usually provide us with a boost to our technology rate. (IMO always a good thing).

Both of these civs also have strong UUs, which are good for warfare, so if threatened or in need of a resource, we can aquire it through more aggressive means more easily, if there is no option to trade.

Since we'll be using "vanilla" civ, all PTW & C3C civs are out.

This leaves:
Japan- Rel/Mil Samurai
India- Rel/Comm War Elephant
Egypt- Rel/Ind War Chariot
Babylon- Rel/Sci Bowman
Iroquis- Rel/Exp Mounted Warrior -1 vote

I would like to go with the expansionsit trait, because I've never really learn how to take full advantage of it, yet. Also, with this trait, we can learn how to make a dot-map, and how to plan a better city placements since we'll be seeing more of the revealed terrains.

Plus, the Iroquois Warrior is easy to pop-rush too. Pop-rushing is another aspect I would like to master.

Top Bottom