1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

GMR Into The Renaissance

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Multiplayer' started by EEE_BOY, Sep 14, 2012.

1. vra379971

vra379971 Deity

Lies and tricks heaped upon distortions. That's Arab traders for you - they always could sell a tall tale!

2. RStark

RStark Prince

The Mongols seized swedish second city on Black Sea, and the Khan sent Gustavus Adolphus a peace treaty. King of Sweden had to agree to pay tribute to the mighty Mongolian Empire, because he didn't have enough resorces to fight both the Muslim Lords and Mongolia.

3. RStark

RStark Prince

Humanism was researched by Poland a turn ago. But Reformation didn't emerge. :sad:
    It seems that this feature with spawning religion is not activated in MP.

4. vra379971

vra379971 Deity

Maybe it hasn't happened yet...

...could the game be taken off line, a turn be taken in single player to establish the Reformation, and then back to it?

5. EEE_BOY

EEE_BOY Deity

Humanism was a target for us before as it gives incentive for the christian world to fight more among themselves to get more points. However, it seemed that it was not necessary as war is happening inside, so we did not pursue that research direction.

It seems that Sweden wanted to attack his Christian brothers by inducing reformation. What an evil intention!

6. EEE_BOY

EEE_BOY Deity

Given war is happening everywhere, I doubt how it can be implemented without affecting the war.

Also a similar bug in the GMR conquest of new world, religions can't be founded when in MP. Guess it is the same bug here.

7. vra379971

vra379971 Deity

I guess the question here is what's worse. Some possible poor war effects, or no Reformation. Personally, I'd prefer to go back a turn, try the poor war effects route and see just how bad that is. As the lack of the reformation is going to be a significant point difference.

8. EEE_BOY

EEE_BOY Deity

Ok, I will ask admin about it.

9. RStark

RStark Prince

That's great.

It will become more interesting and fair game with Reformation sprawling through Europe :)

10. vra379971

vra379971 Deity

Thanks. Does it in single player start the moment you hit the Reformation tech?

In theory, since its the Swedes who hit it, if their turn is activated in single player it should found (and we might not even need to skip anyone's turn) the second its loaded and they discover the tech.

===

There is one other option in theory. If we assume its a founding problem and not a script problem, then if the religion is simply manually add in now, it *should* get started, unless there is special coding that only activates when that tech is reached.

11. vra379971

vra379971 Deity

So, here's the final update:

Yes - so finally got the full answer (Thanks to Barbarian King and the AMAZING mod community!:

Alright, I think I can answer that based on the code. There are three phases to the Reformation. In the first phase, Wittenberg founds Protestantism and nearby cities convert. In the second phase (3 turns after the first), Zurich fully adopts Protestantism and nearby cities convert. In the third and final phase (3 turns after the second), Geneva fully adopts Protestantism and nearby cities converts. What nearby cities converting means, is that any Catholic city within ten tiles of the first city in the phase will partially convert (40%) to Protestantism. Furthermore, the reformation will only occur in Catholic city states. If any of those three cities fail this test when their time comes, then the game will cycle through all city states in order and select the first Catholic city state as a replacement. After these phases, Protestantism merely spreads according to the normal rules. Hope this helps.

This tells us three things:

a) We're safe to continue playing as is without altering the code.

b) We're never getting Protestantism to work.

c) Protestantism will not grow much past its initial surge.

Therefore we would be able fairly easily designate certain civs and cities as Protestant. Then we can manually hand out points when Catholic/Protestant Civs capture Protestant/Catholic cities by keeping track of the city's population before and after the capture. It will not be too difficult to keep track of as population numbers are public knowledge at all times.

12. EEE_BOY

EEE_BOY Deity

Thank you very much Vra!!

Can we assume that after 20 turns-30turns of Humanism, all surrounding cities in 10 turns have no religion, and after 30 turns all surrounding cities fully converted?

But in theory the new religion won't spread beyond the three CS.

13. vra379971

vra379971 Deity

I've heard religion described as a large vat. The city's religion is determined by pressure, which each turn fills up space in the vat with no end.

Inquisitors can vaporize parts of the vat.

This code seems to do something else entirely - replicates/substitutes something already in the vat for something else.

So, if you had 10 quarts of Catholic Juice in City A, and and 10 quarts of Catholic Juice in City B, which is within 5 hexes.

Turn -1 - Wittenberg and City B = Both have 10 quarts of Catholic Juice

Turn 0 - Wittenberg = 10 quarts of Protestant Juice/0 quarts of Catholic Juice
    - City B = 4 quarts of Protestant Juice/6 quarts of Catholic Juice

So...

Turn 0 - Wittenberg goes 100% Protestant.
    Turn 1/2 - Nothing.
    Turn 3 - Zurich goes 100% Protestant. Any city within 10 hexes of both cities will now be 80% Protestant.
    Turn 4/5 - Nothing.
    Turn 6 - Geneva goes 100% Protestant. Any city within reach of all 3 will now be 100%, just 2, 80% and only 1 40%.

Game proceeds as per normal.

So, if anyone has a finished Into the Renaissance scenario game that could be checked to make sure (or I can play one casually over the next few days) but basically it can be safely assumed that the end result would be Northern and Central Europe all going Protestant.

So, all that remains is to figure out what cities are within 1, 2 or 3 of the three protestant centers. Any city surrounded by Protestant cities would not be long for this world either.

======

Wittenberg - 100

Prague - 40
    Utrecht - 40
    Cologne - 40
    Groningen - 40
    Amsterdam - 40
    ?

Zurich - 100

?
    ?
    ?
    ?

Geneva - 100

Milan - 40
    Florence - 40
    Genoa- 40
    Paris - 40
    Augsburg - 40
    ?

All I can figure so far. The grand problem is I do not currently know where Zurich is, and I do not know 100% for sure if I have correctly found all cities WITHIN 10 hexes of the three spur cities. For those nations who do have a map, I do need them to confirm/fill in my work before I can make the final calculations.

14. EEE_BOY

EEE_BOY Deity

After a few turns of waiting, Protestant is magically founded!
    :bowdown::old:

15. EEE_BOY

EEE_BOY Deity

My guess is that the game needs an AI's turn to execute the code of founding a religion. Since Mongol skipped the last turn, the code was executed during the AI's turn. but not CSs' turn.

16. RStark

RStark Prince

:banana::dance:

17. vra379971

vra379971 Deity

Don't celebrate yet. There will therefore need to be two MORE skips.

The code executes in Turn 0 - 3 - 6.

So, unless those two happen, we're still going to have a problem.

Did the Mongol skip happen on the same turn as the Reformation reach?

18. EEE_BOY

EEE_BOY Deity

Yes, Mongol skipped a turn. I will raise the skip limit a bit and decrease the timer a bit to let it happen :p

19. vra379971

vra379971 Deity

It appears the Khan has died. Long live the Golden Horde!

Lets hold off on filling that slot for a few turns.

20. EEE_BOY

EEE_BOY Deity

That'd great, public join has been turned off for the religion effect to adopt.